1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL.com Vic Carucci's Top 5 Defensive Ends

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 7, 2005.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,048 Messages
    5,543 Likes Received
    May have missed this posted, but I thought was interesting....
    -------------
    (Feb. 23, 2005) -- One man's ranking of the top five defensive ends in the NFL draft:

1. Erasmus James, Wisconsin

Positives: Intensity, discipline, anticipation of snap, speed, variety of pass-rush moves, long arms, change-of-direction skills, closing burst to quarterback … Solid senior season erased doubts created by a hip injury that caused him to miss the 2003 season and put him in a position where he should be a top-10 choice.

Negatives: Lower-body strength, holding his own at the point of attack vs. the run.

2. David Pollack, Georgia

Positives: Overall strength, quickness, agility, explosiveness, intensity, work ethic, change-of-direction skills, tackling … Although his lack of height (6-foot-2) is a bit of a concern, Pollack's incredible competitiveness and drive -- to go along with his other high-end qualities -- should put him somewhere in the middle of the first round.

Negatives: Height, speed, less-than-ideal arm length.

3. Dan Cody, Oklahoma

Positives: Anticipation of snap, explosiveness, toughness, leverage vs. the run, upper-body strength, closing burst to quarterback, work ethic … Shows enough playmaking promise to be selected in the bottom half of the first round by a team willing to wait at least a year before he is ready to start.

Negatives: Lower-body strength, change-of-direction skills.

4. Shaun Cody, USC

Positives: Upper-body strength, change-of-direction skills, anticipation of snap, instincts, intensity, inside pass-rushing ability, use of height (6-4) to knock down passes … Figures to be selected in the bottom half of the first round by a team with a defensive scheme that could take full advantage of the strong contribution he can make as an inside pass rusher.

Negatives: Outside speed, weight (292 pounds) makes him a little too small to play tackle (his college position) and a little too large to be a highly effective end.

5. Matt Roth, Iowa

Positives: Power, intensity, aggressiveness, use of hands, pursuit, tackling, instincts … Solid enough player to be a late first-round pick.

Negatives: Lower-body strength, speed.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8221551
  2. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,666 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    How is Marcus Spears not included on his list?
  3. Portland Fanatic

Portland Fanatic Active Member

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree...major oversight.
  4. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The whole list kind of surprises me. I would like to see Gil Brandt's.