1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Considering Changes To Combine

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hoofbite, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/sports/football/nfl-considers-changes-at-scouting-combine.html

This actually sounds interesting to me.

You could have guys run their time on their own and then pair up players based on their rank.

The 40 is pretty worthless as a means of how a player will play in the NFL, they might as well try go get the best times out of it and make the event more interesting.

And of course, spoken like an agent looking out for good old #1.

What about the chance of injury just getting out of bed to do the interviews? Might as well have bedside interviews where NFL teams "speed date" each player and then move on to the next prospect.

I think I'd like to see it. Not so much a side-by-side of the bench but putting a little competition into the 40 yard dash would be something I'd watch.
  2. Shadowy329

Shadowy329 Member

232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd like to see them impliment an "all or nothing" rule as far as participation goes. No cherry picking the drills you're going to participate in.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Couldn't agree more.

I said in another thread they should do that.

There are only a limited number of invites that go out. Let some smaller school guys who haven't had year-long media exposure get some time in fron the league. Maybe they'll be able to draw enough interest at the combine to get someone to come to their pro day and look into them a little more.
  4. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    the H2H 40 makes sense but they better have the kinks worked out 100%. there is a difference between gearing up to run as fast as you can and gearing up to beat the guy next to you and I think this will help make a few guys some money because we all know that some guys have a little extra something when pride and bragging rights are at stake.
  5. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,470 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Especially qbs, you have no pass rush, and the route ie predetermined, so you aren't making a read. I get that you aren't familiar with the wrs, but if your a top shelf qb I have a hard time believing you struggle in that drill. Cam participated last year and was the #1 pick! If Russell Wilson can make throws to wrs he isn't familiar with and look solid, why can't luck or griffin?
  6. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,036 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Sounds like a marketing trick to me. They are televising it now, and let fans in for the first time this year. Looks like a way to make it more TV friendly....

The 'all or nothing' rule appears like a good idea to me. Do it all, or get out of the way.