1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Determining Who To Invite To Draft: Quinn Concerns?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Feb 7, 2011.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I found this interesting.

I got this from a colleague who works on the NFL Draft Advisory board and is part of the NFL Draft Production Committee who's partial responsibility is deciding which prospects will receive an invite to the draft.

Some of the names you will likely see invited will be of no surprise but there is some debate on Robert Quinn and like they have done with borderline players the last 2 years, they are considering having a meeting with Quinn and giving him the option to attend and back out at certain point during the draft if he wants to.

Seems the concern is, while consulting with various teams, esp those inside the top 10 there seems to be no determined market for Quinn.

Could we see a Dez like drop of a top 10 talent to the late first round?

I find it hard to believe a player with his skill set would be ignored for so long but we have seen scenario's like this play out in the past.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,437 Messages
    3,677 Likes Received
    One would have to guess that there is more to his past problems that we just do not know if he does fall or does not get invited.

Every year there are some that did go to the combine and everyone is really puzzled when they fall a great deal, even a number of rounds instead of just a number of spots in a round.

Then later we find out they tested positive for drugs or something but most of that info is hush hush until later.
  3. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,785 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Since he didn't play last year, the Combine/individual workout will go a long way in determining his draft stock. Dez's stock started to fall because (if I'm remembering correctly), he delayed his workout and his workouts were okay but not spectacular. If the workouts are good, Quinn may not be top 10, but I don't think he will fall as far as Dez (assuming no other background issues arise).
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    Dez's on-field resume was certainly stronger than Quinn's and he still slid, which is crazy.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    You know, if you really break this player down, you wonder why the production was not greater. Seriously, he has exceptional physical skills but, he doesn't get off the snap. He doesn't really play the run all that well. He doesn't anchor, he doesn't get off blocks. He could, he just doesn't. Ed Wang of VT just thumped him in the VTech game. I mean, he just handled him. I just don't know what to think of this kid. You put that together with the character issues and throw in the fact that he had Brain Surgery to remove tumors in his brain as a Sr. in HS and I can see why a lot of teams have questions. After that operation, the doctors told him he should not play football but he did. I don't know.
  6. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

At least Wang was a draftable prospect. Your boy Aldon Smith got DOMINATED by Oklahoma LT (I forget his name, something Donald) just humiliated Smith. Go watch the game.

Quinn is the best pass rusher in this draft. By far. And he will be a stud in the NFL. 270 4.5 and strong as a bull.

What character concerns are you talking about? He's a humble kid. Brain tumors don't count as character concerns.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    He took money from agents. That's why he got suspended. That's the character concerns the scouts are talking about.

I assume you are talking about this year's OU game. Yeah, he did not play well in that game. That was his first game back after the injury. Smith broke his leg in the San Diego State game. He missed Miami, Colorado and TAM (three games) and came back for the OU game. It's true, he didn't play well in that game. Donald Stephenson is the guy you are thinking of. He's a Jr. so he may or may not get drafted. I think he probably will but we will see next year I suppose.
  8. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    The NFL doesn't invite him, but if we pass on him in favor of Spencer our fans will flip their lids.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    Whoa there, you're questioning the mighty Quinn? Don't you know that IF he had played this year, he'd have had 45 Sacks? I mean he's a hybrid of Ware, Julius Peppers, Jared Allen, Mario Williams, Clay Matthews and Brian Orakpo. You really should know better. :D
  10. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Well, I know it's not a very popular position but looks like there are scouts out there who also have questions about Quinn. I guess we'll see what happens.
  11. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Last time he played he had 19 TFL's, 11 sacks and 6 FF's.

Whoever is questioning his production is out of their minds.

Not so sure I'd be throwing a 4.5 forty time around though.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    Almost as good as Spencer's senior year, not bad. :laugh2:
  13. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,495 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Wow there is no market? Does that mean some teams are taking him off their boards? Hmmm I thiink the Cowboys would pass on him, having Spencer is still a little something and they could get a safe choice like Jordon instead. This is unfortunate for Quinn, he reads like a really good guy despite what he did, just all those factors as well as some questioning his ability to learn a playbook.
  14. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received

IF the Cowboys have knowledge of this, then we should do another Dez, only this time we're moving down as oppossed to up. Quinn and extra 2nd or 3rd round pick ?

I'll take it..
  15. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    You're sure about that ?

[youtube]kqJrjwjf55c[/youtube]

Doesn't look like has any problems getting off the line of scrimage, or shedding blocks, or stopping the run. I specially like how he blows past Constanzo in the first 2 plays.

Does he get beat at times ? Sure, but who doesn't ? I can put up clips of Nebraska killing Bowers in the bowl game they played last year. It happens to the best of 'em.

He did ? :52 second mark

[youtube]CNGKpy8Os2k[/youtube]

It seems to me like V-Tech made it a point to run away from him in goal line situations and in the instance above, Quinn had no problems going through Wang to make the play.
  16. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't you know.......

He should have had 30 TFL's, 20 sacks, and 15 FF's as a sophomore like all elite college pass rushers do.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm sure. I've already said that he has ability but he don't always play like what you've just posted. I understand that a lot of people like this guy. I'm saying that there is a reason some teams are not ranking him as high as a great many people on this board are.
  18. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    How do you know where they are ranking him?
  19. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    No, I don't think he has to put up those kinds of numbers but in the game that is shown in this clip, the one where it doesn't look like he had any trouble with Wang, well, that's how edited clips can make things appear different then perhaps they really are. In that game against VTech, Quinn had exactly one tackle and no sacks. You wanna say that they weren't running at him? OK, I mean, that's not what happened but it's fine. 1 tackle and you just saw it in that clip.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    I don't know where he's ranked. Nobody does, the Combine has not been held yet. However, in this thread, SDogo is saying that the NFL has concerns about where he might end up going. I would think that if he were a top 10 pick, or even a 1st round pick, they would not be considering advising him to return to school or whatever they are considering for him.