1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Live and Cold Pizza talks about Aikman

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by ringmaster, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,700 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Did anybody, watch ESPN's Cold Pizza, and NFL Live this morning and they were ranking Troy Aikman, against other Hall of Fame QBs.

On Cold Pizza, they asked Woody Paige, and Skip *****less about him and Warren Moon, there was Skip, as usual dissing Aikman, saying Moon, was better than Troy, and Moon won 5 Grey Cups, in the CFL, WHAT!!!!!!!!!, saying how Moon, was on a crappy Houston Oilers team, and how Aikman, had all of that talent around him and if Troy, was in Houston, he wouldn't have won any SBs and Moon, would've won with those Cowboys teams.

So I guess Ernest Givens, was chopped liver then you guys can help me out about the other WRs, the Oilers, had at the time but I also recall Moon, was on a Minnesota Vikings team, that had Cris Carter, Jake Reed, and a young Robert Smith to boot and couldn't win a SB with that team.

This is not a cheap shot at Moon, he was a terrific QB, but he too had talent around him and no one can put one player over the other in that regard.

On NFL Live, there was Mike Golic, talking about Troy, and how he got his 2 1/2 sacks on Troy, his rookie season when he was sacked 11 times that game and I bet that was the only thing Golic, was known for 22 sacks, for a career nuff said.

The Live crew, did the same things Cold Pizza, did and this is how Golic ranked Aikman: (Staubach over Aikman) While Staubach, was known for being Captain Comeback I'm too young to remember really so I'll leave that to the Old School fans to talk about remember him so well but if you talk to Roger, he tell you otherwise that Troy, was a better QB, than he was.

(Aikman over Bradshaw) Golic, was saying that Aikman, read defenses better the TB, but it was very close.

(Marino over Aikman) yeah in the stats dept. but what about SB victories with all of that God given talent Marino had he just couldn't win the SB but Golic, said that Marino, had a quicker release than Troy, which no one can argue but I also read that Troy, too had a lightning quick release too so what gives.

(Young over Aikman) saying Young threw less interceptions than Troy, since when did Troy, threw lots of interceptions no QB, is impervious to throwing ints not one.

Golic, with his giddy 2 1/2 over Aikman, his rookie year is just bitter that the Cowboys, whooped his arse during his time with the Eagles.

Another note Skip, even said that Steve Walsh, could've won a SB, because he was clearly better than Troy, lucky for Skip, I wasn't Mark Tunei, rest his soul because I would've bust his head wide open on that plane.

Why is it when Troy, is being discussed it was the talent that made him better but when QBs like: Young, Elway, Marino, Farve, Kelly, Brady, Moon, and Manning are being discussed they were better QBs, but they had equal talent around them to these double standard idiots.
  2. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,022 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    It's called "doublethink."

Basically, it's holding two contradictory opinions at the same time just because it suits their argument.

They're just too dumb to realize it.
  3. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,607 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    This reminds me of Skins fans telling me how great Spurrier would be in the NFL because he had success in college and the USFL.

:lmao2:

Rich.........
  4. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,700 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Tell me about it.:star:
  5. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,700 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    That's classic.
  6. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i'm sorry, but when you blow a 35 point second half lead in the playoffs, you can't make that argument for him as a better QB.
  7. cowheel

cowheel New Member

517 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Moon was better than a lot "great QBs".
  8. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

782 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    It's because people who aren't Cowboy fans hate the Cowboys plain and simple. That's ALWAYS the argument I hear about Troy and Emmitt, that they were the product of being on a great team. However, guys like Montana were brilliant all by themselves. I guess Rice, Taylor, Jones, and Craig were all stiffs. Yeah and their O-line was terrible too.

:lmao2:
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Warren Moon was more physcially gifted than Aikman was was a better athlete, but not anywhere close to Troy's stature as a pure QB. The same can be said for guys like Steve Young and Randall Cunningham. More athletic and better football players, but not better QBs. None of them were as clutch as Aikman.

That being said, it would have been interesting to see what a talent like Cunningham could have done with Troy's amazing team.
  10. MONT17

MONT17 New Member

3,269 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    what Moon did was insane... I think he spent 6 seasons total in Canada!!! take away the First 6 seasons of any QB in the HOF and see what you have!!! Im not saying Moon is better but what he accomplished was unreal!!!

I'm sure some net wiz can come up with the totals if u take away the first 6 years of any great QB... Just with Aikman he would have not been in the league until the 95 season! True Aikman would have played longer because Lavar just finish what Jerome Brown started... meaning TROY may be still playing!!!

thats why I always beleive if its ment to be it will be no matter what!!!
    funny how that works! The Stories of the Original Big CAt and Roy is very telling!!!
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received

On Mike & Mike, Greenie was saying that Aikman was one of the all time best QBs ever and anybody who couldn't see that didn't know a lick of Football. He said that he would take Aikman over Favre and Golic was like, "As usual, you go too far."

Golic said that Favre had the stats and that Aikman played with better talent. Greenie agreed about the personel but said that you have to go beyond the stats. Said you had to watch him play. He played on good teams and was basically running out the clock by half many times. Said Favre threw too may interceptions. Aikman would not have done that. Golic said that troy had 9 seasons of over 10 INTs. Greene said that Aikman was perfect when he was on. You can say that he played with superior talent but that when you can go through a practice without the ball ever touching the ground, you have to consider the possability that however good the talent might have been, Aikmans talent was just superior. Golic said that at some point, you gotta look at stats.

What wasn't mentioned was that Favre played in a WCO while Aikman played in a ball control timing offense. Numbers are never going to tell the story between those two. You want to know who was better? Watch them play each other in the playoffs.

For the record, Golic did not comment on QBs he never saw, for the most part. Believed that Johnny Unitas and Otto Graham were better. Didn't know about Sammy Baugh. Greenie was all over the Sammy Baugh thing saying he was better. Don't know how you could ever compare the two but oh well. Golic believed that the only QBs better then Aikman in the current erras were Montana, Elway, Young and Favre. Greenie didn't agree with Favre. Don't know what he said about Young. I kinda thought that Golic kinda didn't want to give the credit to Aikman. Maybe because they lost to Aikman and the Cowboys soo much but I don't know. He did say this. He said that Aikman was one of the two toughest QBs he ever faced. He said the other was Simms. Said you could pound both those guys and they would come back at you the very next play.

Interesting discussion.
  12. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think many will argue that Aikman was better than Farve. The best RB Farve ever played with was Dorsey Levens and he never had a lick of talent in the receiving corp save Antonio Freeman.
  13. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Of course, Mike Golic did get his teeth kicked in by Dallas what, 3 times in the postseason? I can understand the hate
  14. cowheel

cowheel New Member

517 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would have loved to see what Moon in his prime could have done with a team around him like the Cowboys of the early 90s.

When comparing 2 great QBs, it's hard to say who was really the better QB because too many circumstances are involved.

Warren Moon NEVER played with a team anywhere NEAR as talented as the Cowboys of the early 90s.

Nowhere near - and anybody who says different is drunk.

Never with a RB like Emmitt...
    Never with a WR like Mike...
    Never with a TE like Novacek
    Never with an OL like that early 90s o-line.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I don't think it really would have mattered. The talent assembled on that Cowboys team would not match Randall's skills. That team was built to control the game on the ground and take advantage of Aikmans strengths. Those were exceptional velocity and extrodinary accuracy. Randall had a strong arm but it wasn't the same kind of arm Aikman had. Randall could probably throw the ball further but he couldn't throw the ball as hard and as far on a rope. Randall was also not exceptionally accurate. He threw a very nice long ball but he could never have run the timing offense cause he didn't have the accuracy. In a nut shell, the same players would not have been around Randall because he needed a different kind of offense. JMO of course.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I would agree with you on everything except the OL. Houston acutally had a pretty darn good OL in those days.
  17. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But Dallas had maybe the best ever
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    That's really not true either. Edger Bennet was not too bad. He also played with a guy named Robert Brooks who was OK. Sterling Sharpe, was as good a WR as there was in the league, and that includes Irvin and Rice, when he was playing. Jackie Harris was an All Pro type TE, Mark Chmura was also a very good TE right up to the time they found him on top of the baby sitter. Ahman Green has been pretty good when healthy, Donald Driver and Bubba Franks.

Farve has had some talent around him.
  19. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Steve Walsh couldn't carry Aikman's suitcase.

Walsh couldn't carry anybody's suitcase. He didn't have the arm strength.
  20. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sterling Sharpe was on the downswing when Farve began starting in GB and was gone by the time GB was making NFC Title game and SB appearences. Robert Brooks was an average WR. Neither TE you mentioned was as good as Novacheck, and any current Packer players should eb thrown out the window because they have sucked.