1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Live and Cold Pizza talks about Aikman

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by ringmaster, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,790 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Skip, really didn't say Steve Walsh, by name but he said that Aikman, wasn't starter material the first three years of his career and that's the impression I got from Skip, I just us Walsh, as bait really.
  2. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,186 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    Whatever people.

We're splitting hairs here. The fact is that we had one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game on our team and, like it or not, he led the Cowboys to 3 SB victories.

And to put icing on the cake, he's getting enshrined in the HALL OF FAME this weekend.

I'd take Troy as my QB any day of the week. Hands down.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    History will tell but right now, I'd be surprised if we had more then 1 Guaranteed OL in the HOF. Maybe two when it's all said and done with but that's iffy. At one time, Houston had Bruce Matthews, Dean Steinkuhler, Mike Munchak and Doug Dawson. At least two of those guys are going to be HOF players. Lets also remember that he played with some pretty decent WRs. Haywood Jeffries, Webster Slaughter, Ernest Givens, Drew Hill, Tim Smith. Mike Rozier was a decent RB too. In Minnesota he had Chris Hinton, Todd Steussie, Jeff Chisty, Randall McDanial and Korey Stringer. He had Cris Carter, Amp Lee, Robert Smith, Jake Reed, Qadry Ismail, Terry Allen and Steve Jordan. In Seattke, he had Walter Jones, Kevin Mawae, Kevin Glover, Ricky Waters, Joey Galloway, Mike Pritchard, James McKnight and Chris Warren. I won't include KC only because he wasn't really the starter there. Still, those are some pretty talented players he played with.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Sorry, but I have to call BS on that.

If you want to say Moon threw a prettier pass, then maybe.
  5. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,810 Messages
    1,021 Likes Received
    All I'll tell you is this. Today I was going through all my VCR tapes of past Cowboys games. I watched part of the 1995 NFC Championship game, I watched tough games that Dallas won during the Barry Switzer era, and what I saw was a QB that I would take over Favre, over Marino and Warren Moon isn't even in the discussion. Anyone who would take Moon over Aikman is a fantasy football fan.

In the 95 Championship game Favre threw the game away with a HUGE interception, right to Larry Brown, not under pressure, rolling right. THAT is the stuff that separated Aikman from Favre.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Really?

Favre's first year in GB was 92. That year, Sharpe posted 108 Rec's, 1461 yards for and average of 13.5 YPC and 13 TDs.

In 93, he posted 112 Rec's, 1274 yards for 11.4 YPC and 11 TDs.

In 94, he posted 94 REC's, 1119 yards for 11.9 YPC and 18 TDs,

In 95, he was hurt and retired. I'd say he was far from on his down side cause Sharp never had a down year in his whole NFL career.
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,383 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    I'm not sure I would go that far.

Moon and Favre played in offenses that utilized a lot shorter patterns and threw the ball a ton in the red zone. Thus, their QB ratings should be higher since they'll greatly increase their chances of completing passes and throwing for TD's.

Aikman played in a system that used extremely long passing patterns and were very timing based. But, he was still uncannily accurate. Peter King made a point about Aikman's accuracy, but the fact is not only was Aikman accurate, he had a CANNON for an arm. A perfect example was the Skins game where we beat them in OT with a bomb to Ismail. It was small, flick of the wrists for Troy and he made that long throw look rather easy.

Rich..............
  8. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmmmmm.......I do recall the day when you said Cunningham was a better QB than Aikman.

Good to see you've wised up.
  9. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,292 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    Yeah, he must have been suffering from Redskinfanasininitis.
  10. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Warren played with Randy Moss for a season or two, that right there inflated his stats. Warren is far less the qb the troy is. only thing Warren had that topped Troy was his mobility.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I don't agree here. I believe Warren was one of the very best pure passers I ever saw. Better then Aikman where this is concerned. He didn't have the laser type arm Aikman had but his was plenty strong when he was young. Moon really was a great player. I would take Aikman over Moon but Moon was an excellent QB IMO.
  12. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,790 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    No doubt, Moon, was a very good QB.
  13. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,186 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    When did Warren Moon have mobility? Troy, before his back problems, had decent mobility.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Troy could move around, Warren Moon had mobility. I never really considered Aikman a mobile QB, even when he was at OU. He could move but he never had the fluidity or really, IMO, the imagination to be able to use mobility as a true weapon. Aikman, IMO, was a perfectionist. He wasn't a guy who improvised well. To me, that is the real difference between Aikman and Favre. Aikman was disciplined in the extreme. Favre adlibed a great deal of the time.
  15. Screw The Hall

Screw The Hall Well-Known Member

2,143 Messages
    169 Likes Received

Warren Moon never played with Randy Moss. Moon's last year in Minnesota was 1996, Moss wasn't drafted until 1998 by the Vikes.

His stats were never padded, in fact he was robbed of stats by not being drafted because of a racial bias. Had he been a 1st round pick like he should have been, and not been forced to play in Canada for the 1st 6 years of his career, his stats would have literally blown away everyone elses.

That's not to say I think he was better than Aikman, I don't, but Warren deserves this honor as well.
  16. riggo

riggo Benched

1,231 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    aikman deserves to be in, no question. he was money in his prime.

eh- nevermind. different discussion....
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,954 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Aikman played with lots of talent, but he also stepped it up in the playoffs. His QB rating is higher in the post season than in the regular season. Moon's post season rating also is higher than his regular season rating. Favre's and Young's post season ratings are lower than their regular season ratings. They still have good numbers, but they are below what they produced outside of crunch time.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those 4 QBs and it comes to personal preference as to which one you prefer. I just don't see how anyone can look down on Aikman. And I am not the biggest Aikman fan. And for Bayless to say that Walsh was better than Aikman is ridiculous. If Walsh was that good, he would have had at least moderate success in the NFL. He had no success. Walsh was not as good as Steve Beurlein. He is probably on par with Jason Garrett.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Aughhh Josee........

See, there ya go again. You've just done a disservice to Jason Garrett.

Just can not take you anywhere.
  19. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    People forget that Troy played on bad teams at the beginning and end of his career. He wasn't always surrounded by incredible talent, and he never played in a pass-first offense.
  20. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No way. He's not that insane.