1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Lockout Stay Granted

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Wolf2k5, May 16, 2011.

1. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

838 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Ugh so disappointed. Just want free agency
  2. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,900 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    No incentive for the owners to move now.

This is gonna take a while....
  3. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,884 Messages
    3,030 Likes Received
    Ok which stay was granted. This thing is confusing to me and I've only been superficially following it.
  4. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Key quote from the opinion:

This line right here means that we may not have football in 2011.
  5. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,337 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    temporary stay until june 3rd ruling
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks like reality is setting in for the NFLPA. The good money is on them folding soon.
  7. theogt

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    A quick reading of this opinion and I think they've COMPLETELY misread Norris-Laguardia, even contrary to Supreme Court rulings.

Edit: The opinion is terrible and short on logic. Seems hastily put together, which is strange considering the amount of time they had on it.
  8. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,337 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    they're idiots...
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,185 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I see it the other way, this might finally force the nflpa* to actually negotiate. Because we all know the players will fold when they realize they are missing out on millions this season.
  10. Plumfool

Plumfool Active Member

721 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    How so? I thought it was an odd read. I just don't have law background.
  11. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,555 Messages
    1,064 Likes Received
    We will if the players decide to sincerely negotiate finally ..

-Reality
  12. theogt

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Maybe. Or it may force them to take it to the Supreme Court. And the point at which they may decide to do that will not be for months, because there are many other datapoints they'll need for that decision. This is basically a worst case scenario for fans, UNLESS its forces hands at the negotiating table (which I doubt at this point, though possible).

Judge Bye dissented, so the decision wasn't unanimous (i.e., was a 2-1 decision). Bye's quote here was pretty damning:

13. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

27,837 Messages
    1,380 Likes Received
    ... and boom goes the dynamite.
  14. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,019 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Frankly, if we have to wait until June 3 to decide on the legality of the lockout...oh boy.

I could care less, get to the bargaining table and work it out. Period. This is starting to impact the sanctity of the game and fans will leave.

Ask baseball how the mid year strike treated them. They still have not recovered.
  15. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,555 Messages
    1,064 Likes Received
    Seems like the players having all of the legal leverage is not a given after all .. :D

-Reality
  16. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,900 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Sal Pal is reporting a possible break in negotiations. Apparently, they're still in discussions.....sounds encouraging.

But, I've had my hopes dashed before.
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    Hard to find any joy in still no football.. But a wins a win, I guess. *shrug*
  18. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/report-breakthrough-in-talks/
  19. theogt

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    I think it's a pretty cut and dry issue legally, actually. But so far we have 2 federal judges agreeing with the players and 2 federal judges disagreeing. The problem is that the 2 agreeing with the owners don't actually spell out their logic in their opinion, so it's anyone's guess as to why they think what they think.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,185 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    It's all about who has the hammer. The lower courts were all to willing to give it to the nflpa*. Now it appears the higher courts are giving it back to the nfl.

Even in the most nfl friendly of cba deals the players will still be getting millions of dollars. A lot of players didn't put anything away for a long holdout. The nflpa* was counting on keeping the owners from locking them out to give them plenty of time in the courts. I'm sure that DeMaurice Smith was guaranteeing them of that. It doesn't look like it's going to happen now. Players will fold.

The one thing that might save the nflpa* would be the lockout nest egg that Doty is ruling on. But I imagine even if he tries to give the nflpa* some of that money it will be appealed and kept protected. (I don't even think Doty should be able to give any of it to the nflpa* since it must be paid back to the networks if there is no season and its also money that should only be used towards salaries etc)