1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL needs refs viewing from cameras

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Galian Beast, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,177 Messages
    1,385 Likes Received
    Get a room of refs, with specific assignments in a box watching from cameras. No reason why in 2011 we should still have bad calls or missed calls...

You have 22 pieces going on in the nfl, yet the nfl probably has the same amount of refs on the field as baseball and basketball...
  2. Galian Beast

9,177 Messages
    1,385 Likes Received
    Note
    NBA
    3 refs for 10 players

MLB
    4 umpires for 4 bases

NFL
    1 ref + 6 officials for 22 players and a much bigger field...
  3. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Problem is, if they call every penalty, there'd be numerous yellow flags every play. The human aspect is there to judge if the penalties were important in the play's result. Or particularly flagrant.... Well, most of the time.

I'd settle for competant professional refs who understood their job depended on calling games well.
  4. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,219 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    This. Refs are so well protected from mistakes and shielded from criticism in the media and public eye by the NFL that it is ridiculous. They need to be held accountable as well.

There is a point system, I believe. But it doesn't seem to have any effect on their status from week to week.

A simple, "Our bad." from the NFL during the week on obviously wrong calls would do wonders. Instead they always find a reason from left field to explain on why they were right.
  5. Galian Beast

9,177 Messages
    1,385 Likes Received
    From what I understand the point system only affects their role in playoff games...

Our bads don't work because then you have the nfl admitting they wronged teams and then you have furious fans...
  6. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,832 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    And where are you going to mount all these camera's? And what about the dolly tracks down the sidelines for the camera's to traverse? That would probably be a safety issue for players and coaches.
  7. Galian Beast

9,177 Messages
    1,385 Likes Received
    They already have cameras with multiple views of play...
  8. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would like the reviews to happen as they do in college with guys in the booth making the call. It helps keep the game moving a little faster.
  9. DanteEXT

1,832 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    They don't have the angles for every ref location. And some of the lower profile games have only a few camera angles. You really think that one side shot from above can replace two refs lined up down the line of scrimmage at field level?
  10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,386 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    What happened to that Eagle Eye thing they used in the Giants/Ravens superbowl and then was never seen from again? It was like the Matrix camera system. I thought that worked really well. I know it would cost a lot, but I imagine it's a lot cheaper now than it was back then.
  11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,386 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I guess it's called Eye Vision, not Eagle eye, but I still wonder why they don't use it, or something similar.
  12. Galian Beast

9,177 Messages
    1,385 Likes Received
    I didn't say replace them, more along the lines of supplant them.

If you see a bad call or a blatant missed call, you call it or change it.
  13. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree. There needs to be a referee or three up in a booth looking at blatantly missed calls. The players are too big and bulky with their equipment on for any ref on the same field of play to see everything that's going on in any play.

And for those who say that the game takes too long, no it doesn't. The COMMERCIALS make the game long, not the game itself. If ESPN doesn't go to commercial after every single punt and kickoff then you shave a half hour off the game.

Even still, I'd be more than happy to have a more effectively called game than random mistakes by the refs directly influencing the game's outcome. The booth officials should also have the ability to review any call on the field.

With the speed and size of the players there needs to be officials above the playing field.
  14. Galian Beast

9,177 Messages
    1,385 Likes Received
    I said supplant but I had meant to say complement.
  15. DanteEXT

1,832 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Ok, I didn't get that from the original title and post. I took it as take them off the field and put them behind a TV. My bad.