1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

nfl network Charley Casserly's top 10 OT

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jblaze2004, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,887 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    the past 2 years was

1. Russel okung
    2. tyron smith
    3. trent williams
    4. anthony davis
    5. rodger saffold
    6. nate solder
    7. anthony castonzo
    8. bryan bulaga

this was on nfl network around 6:30 eastern time so I do not have a link

but seeing his rating and then people bash or say we should not take tyrone smith at 9 well the skins took trent williams at 4 overall so getting a better player at 9 to fill a need is remarkable.

alot of people say that last year's draft class is better than this one. Charley Casserly says that even if we combine last years tackle's with this years tyrone smith would only be number 2 to russel okung (who should of been drafted before trent williams by the way).
  2. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,999 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    just watched that. Tyron has to be our pick...please.....please.....please
  3. jblaze2004

8,887 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    yea I hope so too but for some reason I think he will be picked before 9. I hope not but idk suprises in the draft happens every year. Notice how Gabe C. did not even show up on the list. I think Gabe is more of a in the 20's type of pick seeing he is basically a RT only. But I do like Gabe in a trade back and depending on who is there at our pick.
  4. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,196 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong.
  5. laythewood28

laythewood28 Active Member

1,575 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    who were the other 2?
  6. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great post. I couldn't recall the entire list. I so loved that list, especially after Baldinger pretty much trashed Smith. He is a Carimi and Castonzo homer.

Casserly just remained quiet. Now, we know why.

Tyron Smith is under attack on multiple fronts, so that tells me something too, as the draft approaches. I don't see Castonzo, Carimi, Solder, or Sherrod getting heat. The best player is under attack.

Wes Bunting also rated Tyron Smith number 2 and had only Russell Okung ahead of him, when he blended the two OT classes together and rated them. So, that is two people who have Smith rated number 2 behind only Okung. Bunting stated that experience was a big factor in putting Okung first.

Tyron Smith is absolutely worth that 9th pick. He's the safest pick, too. Simply, he's hands down, the best OT in this draft and rates extremely high in comparison to last year's OT class. He's in the 9-13 range (and has been for a while), and the Cowboys better not blow it if they get a chance to draft him.

Is J.J. Watt or Cameron Jordan the cornerstone of your front seven?

No and No! That is Ware.

Is Amukamara the caliber of player that Terence Newman is right now?

No.

Is Aldon Smith going to play OT next year, or is he going to play on third downs only?

Tyron Smith is a 20 year old, blue chip, cornerstone player in the offensive line. He is a player that you build an entire unit around.

Not only is Tyron Smith worth the 9th pick, he's worth it in spades.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    There is no way that Smith is better than Trent Williams, Okung or Davis IMO. Each of those guys were lagit 300 pound plus players. They didn't put on weight to reach 300, they played at that weight and they played at a high level. For that reason alone, you can't say that Smith is a better Option. Now, you can project what he might be and you can say that the ceiling is higher for this player then some of those others but I don't see any way you can say that he is better right here, right now, then they were coming out. I don't see it.
  8. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Um, this guy:

Kiper says Tyron Smith is most overrated non-QB

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6388540
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, that is the silliest reasoning I've heard in trying to determine who is better: who has been 300 lbs longer...

How did that work out for D'Brick Ferguson when he came out?
  10. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    I like Smith more than Williams and Davis.

You like them more just because they weigh more and played longer at over 300? That's just silly imo.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,176 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    Just fine. Ferguson was being drafted as a LT, not a RT. How may RTs in the league play under 300?

Last season, in the NFL, there was only One, Gary Williams in Carolina. He plays at 296 and guess what, Carolina was one of the worst offensive units in the NFL last season. Dead last in the league. I don't think Williams would have been the starter had Jeff Otah not been lost for the season, 5 games in.

There is a major difference between LT and RT in the NFL. Smith played at around 280 lbs at USC. That's 20 pounds just to get to 300, which would be considered light in the NFL. That's a lot to ask. Ferguson, who you brought up earlier, came out at 295, which was his playing weight and he was much more polished then is Smith. He was a 4 year starter, winning the job from the day he stepped onto the team. He was a much more polished product when he came out. If you want to compare the two, that's fine with me but it holds no water in my eyes.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,176 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    No. I like them more because they were all more experienced and they all played at a natural weight of well over 300 the years they came out. Smith is a light RT in the college game. That's not going to get easier in the Pros. It's going to be pretty tough, IMO, to play 20 or 30 pounds heavier in his rookie season at RT. That's assuming he is able to hold that weight. If he can't then it's going to be doubly tough because undersized RTs in the NFL get abused.

That's why they were all better prospects at the same points in their careers IMO. If you find that silly, then I guess I'm silly.
  13. jblaze2004

8,887 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    did anyone happen to see anthony davis play rt for the 49ers:gassy3: :thumbdo:
    he looked bad and I mean bad.

this is why i rather take the more athletic guy than a heavier guy. Pass protect i think is valued more than run blocking on our team. If we had a sorry QB than getting the best run blocker would be key.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

35,176 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received

This is a good point I think. If anything, last year taught us just how important it is to protect our QB. On the other hand, if you look at the numbers from when Red took over to the end of the season, you will find that we actually ran the ball more times then we threw it. I'm not sure exactly how important running the ball will be to our offense but I suspect it will be much more important then it was prior to Red's taking over as HC.
  15. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,813 Messages
    181 Likes Received

People give the Cowboys grief for their OL evaluations, but they gave Davis a 3rd round grade which may have been the correct assessment.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're stuck on his weight at USC, yet despite the fact he was lighter than most tackles he comported himself just fine despite that weight. How much better is he with the added weight. He tested out athletically as one of, if not the best athlete of all the linemen overall at that weight (307 lbs).

I have no problems believing a 20-year old, 6'5" kid with nearly 37" arms is and will be able to maintain and add good weight.

The incessant need to keep questioning his weight is simply the conveinent go-to criticism for worrywarts.

Like Brad Johnson checking down to the fullback in the flat, it's far too predictable and old.

In regards to D'Brick and his playing weight, you've completely missed the point. D'Brick came in playing from anywhere from 245-260 and increased his weight to around 295 his Senior season. Tyron Smith has been playing somewhere around 280ish and came out early as a Junior. The point is both players performed well at their relatively lighter weights. I see no problems with Smith moving forward in that department.
  17. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he is right then it scares the tar out of me if the Cowboys choose Oline in the first round
  18. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,590 Messages
    44 Likes Received

Well he wasn't wrong when he picked Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. Everyone criticized him for the pick and we all know how that turned out.
  19. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Casserly > anyone on this board;

when it comes to talent evaluations. He may miss, just as all evaluators do, but his logic is generally sound. Not only did he pass on Bush, he passed on Vince Young also. The draft is not a science, its an art and as such you will never be 100%. Casserly may be wrong on Tyron, but I would take his logic over the guy doesn't weigh enough or the guy hasn't played at that weight logic. If weight was the only metric, Arron Gibbson would be in the Hall of Fame.

I do recall, D. Ware never played at 260lbs. I think he was a 248lb def end in college. Now he is a 260lb, OLB.... Rat was a 280lb DE/DT at Auburn, now he is a 305lb NT in a 3-4 def.

We all know how those two worked out. Saying a guy never played at a certain weight in college is rather short sighted. IMHO
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,310 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    How much you want to bet that Tyron Smith isn't one of the tackles represented by Kiper's agent buddies? :laugh2: