1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Prospect Focus: Chris Smith and Brandon Thomas

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Mar 29, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

20,549 Messages
    7,354 Likes Received
    Chris Smith – Defensive End/Outside Linebacker – Arkansas

Size – 6011 – 266 – 4.71

Strong Points – Athletic, initial quickness, explosive, use hands, pass rush, tackle, very long arms

Weak Points – Height to play defensive end, no experience in pass coverage, defense against the run, shedding run blocks

2013 Stats - 36 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, 21.5 career sacks

Summation – Chris is a fourth-year senior and a two-year starter for the Razorbacks. He lines up at defensive end and plays from both a two-point and three-point stance. In the tape viewed, when he was playing on his feet, he never dropped into coverage.

He is best as a pass rusher. He has very good snap reaction/anticipation, and often, is out of the blocks before his opponent has a chance to set. He stays low and can use his hands to “jolt” his opponent

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Chris-Smith-and-Brandon-Thomas.html

2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

24,248 Messages
    14,296 Likes Received
    They criticize Smith for run defense, but I think he was much better run defender than Dee Ford.

Thomas should be a Guard and has a high upside at that position, IMO. He is very strong with good athleticism for a Guard. He reminds me of Leary without the knee issue.

cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

10,305 Messages
    2,911 Likes Received
    Not sure how I feel about Smith. I'm not entirely impressed, but I haven't watched a lot on him

Thomas, OTOH, I love.

4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,995 Messages
    2,238 Likes Received
    I m on record as a big Chris Smith fan, I like Thomas and see him more as a guard, but is one of those guys with flex capabilities to move to T if needed (a poor-man's Zack Martin)

5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

10,814 Messages
    5,501 Likes Received
    Give me Chris smith and thomas in rd 3 over Martin or Ford in rd 1

waving monkey likes this.
  6. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

1,767 Messages
    975 Likes Received
    I could see Thomas as one of those 1st round shockers somewhere in the back 12, like Pugh and Long last year. One of my favorites this year, but I think it's pretty unlikely we draft him. Too much DL need. Doubt he'd last until #78.

Maybe if we pick up an extra late 2nd or early-to-mid 3rd.

7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

4,560 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Love both guys. Would be great if we found a way to get both.