1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Prospect Focus: Chris Smith and Brandon Thomas

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Mar 29, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Chris Smith – Defensive End/Outside Linebacker – Arkansas

Size – 6011 – 266 – 4.71

Strong Points – Athletic, initial quickness, explosive, use hands, pass rush, tackle, very long arms

Weak Points – Height to play defensive end, no experience in pass coverage, defense against the run, shedding run blocks

2013 Stats - 36 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, 21.5 career sacks

Summation – Chris is a fourth-year senior and a two-year starter for the Razorbacks. He lines up at defensive end and plays from both a two-point and three-point stance. In the tape viewed, when he was playing on his feet, he never dropped into coverage.

He is best as a pass rusher. He has very good snap reaction/anticipation, and often, is out of the blocks before his opponent has a chance to set. He stays low and can use his hands to “jolt” his opponent

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Chris-Smith-and-Brandon-Thomas.html
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,384 Messages
    4,945 Likes Received
    They criticize Smith for run defense, but I think he was much better run defender than Dee Ford.

Thomas should be a Guard and has a high upside at that position, IMO. He is very strong with good athleticism for a Guard. He reminds me of Leary without the knee issue.
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,838 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Not sure how I feel about Smith. I'm not entirely impressed, but I haven't watched a lot on him

Thomas, OTOH, I love.
  4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,716 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I m on record as a big Chris Smith fan, I like Thomas and see him more as a guard, but is one of those guys with flex capabilities to move to T if needed (a poor-man's Zack Martin)
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,514 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    Give me Chris smith and thomas in rd 3 over Martin or Ford in rd 1
    waving monkey likes this.
  6. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Active Member

608 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    I could see Thomas as one of those 1st round shockers somewhere in the back 12, like Pugh and Long last year. One of my favorites this year, but I think it's pretty unlikely we draft him. Too much DL need. Doubt he'd last until #78.

Maybe if we pick up an extra late 2nd or early-to-mid 3rd.
  7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Love both guys. Would be great if we found a way to get both.