1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Rumors: Dallas Cowboys’ No.1 Prospect Alabama’s Chance Warmack

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Gryphon, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    by ***** Flores

The Dallas Cowboyswill undoubtedly have to address the interior of the offensive line – again – in 2013.

Jerry Jones and the Cowboys’staff were hoping that the off-season acquisitions of Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings would provide the team with solid starters at both guard spots. However, that was not the case. In fact, I feel the Cowboys are right back to square one, as far as the offensive line is concerned.

Doug Free‘s regression has been the most concerning, though. No one could have predicted the Cowboys could be in search of four starting offensive linemen in the 2013.

Phil Costa, who I actually like, is not the answer at center, and neither is his replacement Ryan Cook. One thing that was surprising to me was the play of Bernadeau at center. I don’t know that he’s the answer, but he looked good and played well at center.

I few years back the Cowboys struck gold when failed guard Andre Gurode took over as the team’s starting center. The move saved Gurode’s career and gave the Cowboys a starting center that went to five Pro Bowls. Not saying that Bernadeau will or can be anything like Gurode, but if the Cowboys decide that he’s a better center than he is a guard, let’s hope he does.

Assuming the Cowboys go with Bernadeau at center means they will still need two guards; Livings cannot and should not be back next season.

After watching the Alabama Crimson Tide’s offensive line take over in the SEC Championship Game on Saturday, I’m positive I want the Cowboys to take a chance on guard Chance Warmack.

And, if it were possible I’d take Alabama’s center Barrett Jones and guard Anthony Steen with my top-three picks in the draft. Now, I know it won’t happen, not because it’s not possible, but because as Jones has shown us before he doesn’t value the guys in the trenches, especially if there’s a controversial pick to be made.

Would it surprise you if he takes Landry Jones in the first or second round?

Didn’t think so.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/...-alabamas-chance-warmack/?Iiob7HO46EpSGwz0.99
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Yes. We have bigger needs IMO.
  3. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,143 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    This guy sounds like a fan. Replace FOUR lineman??? Give me a break.

Livings is back and rightfully so, the guy has played well. I'm fine with a Costa/Benardeau competition at center, which leaves a guard/tackle to be replaced at most.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,075 Likes Received
    Hello. You can call me "No one".
  5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,616 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    Guys that come out of this conference, from these big time programs are battle tested. They routinely compete against first round picks all week in practice and on Saturdays.

They're the most NFL ready prospects out there, hands down.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    They need to draft offensive line again, and again, and again in 2013.

The way this team has repeatedly failed at it, the only safety we have is in numbers.
  7. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,572 Messages
    1,713 Likes Received
    I agree we need oline 10x over but some need to come from trades. A line full of rookies isn't going to help Romo any.
  8. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Good point:cool:
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,636 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I ahree you cannot replace 4 lineman with rookies but that shouldn't stop us from getting 3 or 4 lineman. I like Warmack but drafting a OG that early makes no sense to me when we need more than just one OL. Jones, Cooper, and Thomas are all very good OGs that we could trade back for that could start day one.

If there isn't a play maker on defense left when we pick, I want to trade back a few times and get many OL. I can get Jones or Cooper in the late 1st and Thomas and Lane Johnson in the 2nd with another OG in the 3rd. Two might start now and the other two in a year.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,208 Likes Received
    By the way, Khaled Holmes of USC is a wall. Got to see him play live against the Wildcats. I hope people realize the article is from a website that does not require any validation, just write it and they will assume it is true.

That said, Warmack would be fine with me. As would his teammate Barrett Jones or Jonathon Cooper of UNC who I may like best of the 3.
  11. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    I like this idea, we need a Larry Allen type guard.:D
  12. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,174 Messages
    2,380 Likes Received
    Draft the best center in the draft. Restructure Free and move him to guard, and get the best tackle in free agency. And go offensive line inn the second round, too.

That'd be like adding four players with three guys.
  13. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Correct. I would love for Warmack to be the Cowboys' #1 target but this is just another non-sourced opinion piece.

I would love to see the FO bring in 2-3 serious OL in the offseason -- some combination of FAs and draft picks in 1-3 round range. One OT, preferably someone who can play on either side depending on what they want to do with Tyron. And one or two interior guys, preferably two. I think we probably do have one or two starters (and their backups) currently on the roster. None of this would break the bank or unduly strain other units.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,208 Likes Received
    We netter bring in 1 top FA at G or T and draft 2 more OL in the top 4 rounds. We only have Tyron Smith who is going to be fine at LT. The rest of the pieces need to be upgraded. I think we can expect 2 or 3 of them in 2013 and the final fine tuning in 2014. You don't want to start too many rookies on OL if you can help it.

But the bottom line has to be better run and pass blocking. Do that and our red zone scoring is fixed, our run game can give us balance, and the wins start to compile.
  15. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,720 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    would rather go after Barrett Jones
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    when they stink replace them. Livings has been OK and nothing more. Not surprising you keep downrating what needs to be done on the O line.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    It would be great if Bernie became Gurode part Deux and was fine at center but I have yet to see that kind of performance from him. But it might be that he is a lot better at Center then guard just like Gurode was.

Khalid Holmes
    Barrett Jones

Those would be my wet dreams as our top picks this year.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,796 Messages
    5,953 Likes Received
    I think Holmes is way underrated by the media and psuedo-media at this point. There were multiple reports that Star Lotulelei destroyed Holmes, but this is just not true. My analysis of that match-up is here:
    http://www.walker-texas.com/holmes-vs-star.pdf

The draft-media and fans love to over-hype some players and over-criticize others.

Last year David DeCastro was "the greatest OL in 10-years and a top-10 pick at OG'; meanwhile, Bruce Irving was "2nd round at best and might drop to the 4th".

In reality, DeCastro was picked 24th and Bruce Irvin was picked 15th. The media proclaimed Irvin as a major reach, yet he has 7 sacks as a Rookie.

Warmack is on the over-hyped list this year. I think Warmack is a very good player, but the media makes him out to be Larry Allen which he is not.
  19. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Absolutely. To me no other player should be remotely considered. Jones is not a mauler, overly athletic or the strongest but he consistently gets the job done at an extremely high level on top level opposition. Probably his most important value is his extreme versatility along the OL--high quality play at Center,Guard and Tackle. Has been All American, All SEC, Outland Trophy winner--voted to best OL/DL lineman and probably more awards at the end of this year. He would be a OC dream--plug and play.

He is also very much a RKG. The FO could trade back, once or twice, and still pick in the 1st round and value for a OL would be much better. We could also pick up a 2nd and possibly 3rd round pick that would set this draft up for great success, if the FO knew how to handle it.

If the FO is looking for a Center in the 2013 draft then Jones may be the only choice since all the other centers seem to be going backwards on the draft boards. Even if not looking for a Center Jones should still be the choice because of his versatility to play any OL position.

Join me on the Barrett Jones bandwagon as you will here from me over the next 4-5 months on his value to our team.
  20. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,384 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    I am on the Jonathan Cooper bandwagon, although Warmack,Jones and Holmes work for me