1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Rumors: Is Jon Gruden heading to the Dallas Cowboys?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,148 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    Completely agree. Gruden will just make us more of a circus than we already are.
  2. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,252 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I wanted Chucky when we got Garrett as HC instead, so I'd be thrilled with Gruden.

Yet, I'd also be okay giving Red another chance as long as we can get a competent OC in here and worked on the OL in the offseason. Wouldn't be nearly as optimistic as if we were getting Gruden, but I would hold on to some hope at least.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,331 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    I agree that there may be something to this rumor. King mentioned Gruden to the Cowboys. Patrick mentioned a few weeks back that Jerry was quietly searching for a head coach. Gruden's known to be interested in returning to coach, but has not been mentioned with ANY of the current openings. Jerry has not come out and endorsed Garrett, but rather, criticized the teams record, coaching, and basics. And promised to make drastic change in order to get the best out of Romo. Certainly seems interesting to me. And if you connect these dots, you have to admit there's some logic to the rumor.

As for Gruden himself, I'm not much of a fan but you can't really argue he's a better head coach then Garrett. Like him or hate him. He's definitely proven.
  4. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

880 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Wasn't it Gruden coaching the Raiders when he was screwed over by the "tuck rule"..?
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,273 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    Yeah. The idea isn't that Gruden beings any of the garbage QBs he worked with in Tampa. It's that he'd be working with Romo.

And the whole Dungy team thing cracks me up.

1. He did what Dungy couldn't which is why he got the job.

2. What else has Dungy done? 1 SB with one of the greatest QBs ever? In 7 years? John Fox might get that this year. And we credit Dungy for building the Bucs but don't acknowledge the Colts were basically the worst team in the NFL without Manning? If Dungy didn't have Peyton, how does he do?

Looking at two different situations and trying to compare potential outcomes when the rosters are worlds apart is wasted effort. What can a coach do with what you have now is the better question.
  6. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,377 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    This is a sound post. I think Garrett could be a good coach, but currently feel that he is putting a square peg thru a round hole.
  7. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Gruden is a better coach than Garrett.

My only concern is that, the players have bought into Garrett, if JJ moves on, how long does it take for the players to buy into Gruden?

Attitude on the team matters and it appears that the attitude of this Cowboys has changed in the last two years for the better.

I'm on the fence with this move if it should happen. But, something has to change with the offense and it's just not entirely the OL.
  8. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

954 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Easy fix, he just shows them his ring.
  9. rat2k8

rat2k8 Active Member

531 Messages
    119 Likes Received

That's easy. The first meeting he welcomes himself into the organization. Then tells the players it's my way or the hi-way. I think the players will buy into that if they want a pay check from JJ. Enough of TEAM CUPCAKE. The dead weights have to be shown the door. With Howdie Doodie we are going no where.
  10. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,173 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    My one concern is how quickly these players could learn Gruden's system. Some of these guys have been in the same system for six years and still mess up.
  11. Vtwin

Vtwin Power and Performance

1,844 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Jerry's words.

There is no way he can bring someone in to "tweak" the offense and keep the architect of that offense on as the head coach.

That would be beyond stupid.
  12. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Pretty easy to buy into a guy who comes in and flashes this:

[IMG]

Especially considering it's something he won as a head coach, not a backup QB.
  13. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

954 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    you copied me :eek:
  14. iRepDatStar

iRepDatStar Member

67 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Not that im defending Gruden.. or want him here.. but to the people saying he won the superbowl with Dungy's team. Wasn't the team he played against his team before he went to tampa.. which means another coach made it to the superbowl with Grudens team correct?
  15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,373 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    It has for years.
  16. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,363 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Garrett or Gruden? It's a no brainer. Gruden.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,242 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    The players had great things to say about Wade even after they quit on him.

Bring on Chuckie. Change is a good thing.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,373 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Does 8-8 year after year concern you?
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,331 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    I'm not really concerned with this. I feel that the reason these players can't execute Garrett's offense after 6 years is because a) Garrett can't coach it or b)the offense sucks. Continuity is useless when the thing you're keeping around is garbage and doesn't work. And besides, they already mess up the offense. What's the harm in trying a different one if they are already screwing up the one that they've been in for 6 years? What, is 7 years the magical amount of time for these 'dumb' players to finally understand what genius JG is so expertly teaching them?!

Several other teams have turned over their entire team and made it to the playoffs within the next 2 years, especially lately.

Adjusting to a new coach can be a benefit moreso than a harm. Especially when you're stuck in neutral for several years straight and players are complacent to be better than bad, but worse than good.

Unless of course, you're JG and take 7 years to really get things going.
  20. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,363 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    One thing Gruden does that Garrett doesn't is hold players accountable. He'd light a fire under this teams ***.