1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Rumors: Is Jon Gruden heading to the Dallas Cowboys?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,330 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Not really, this team was at best going to be 9-7 this season.
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,305 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    And this is what we need big time.
  3. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,434 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Maybe it's the system...
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,305 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    I doubt jerry, the players or garret thought this was at best a 9-7 team especially with how much money we have tied up.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    Guys don't start getting your hopes up or you're going to be even more miserable in your football life.
  6. Joe Rod

8,330 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Might be. If Jerry hires 2002 Jon Gruden then it is a good three year hire. What I don't want is complacent, been taking it easy for a few years Gruden. I'm not entirely sure which Gruden we would get and with this team that could mean the results are just as crappy.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    We've had enough pieces to be better than 8-8.

We just play conservative football and look poorly coached
  8. Joe Rod

8,330 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    The same Jerry that has made this Cowboys organization the juggernaut it has been since 1996? I don't really think he is a good gauge personally.
  9. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,374 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I'm with you guys, don't understand the gruden love

Garrett's not perfect but I like the long term plan he appears to have and think patience will ultimately be rewarded, I'm just losing hope he'll get it done with Romo, ware and Witten
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    I pick Garrett because I don't like either long term and Garrett days are numbered anyways as long as he sticks with his process.
  11. Joe Rod

8,330 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    This team isn't going to make it anywhere without an O-line that can produce a running game and a defense that can produce turnovers. No running game means Romo will chuck to keep this team competitive and eventually have his trademark stinker game.

You want this team to win a championship? Pray that Murray leads the league in rushing in 2013.
  12. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Or we could try not having one of the worst pass defenses in the league year in and year out. Alot of things would fall in place off that.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,028 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    I really like Gruden.

He strikes me as a very passionate QB savvy Coach.

I think he'd have a great impact for Tony Romo by removing some of the load by taking responsibility. JG hasn't been able to take on responsibility because the offense has struggled for large parts of 6 seasons. If he took all the offensive blame he would have been fired already.

I have watched Gruden break down young QBs on film and other things on ESPN and he seems the right type of Coach for this team.

JG has done a lot of good here. But if we want to move forward we may well need a different offensive voice. I am OK with either a new OC or with a QB-savvy coach.

BTW... There is no way I knock what Gruden has accomplished in the NFL considering the QBs he has had. We tried to win with Brad Johnson....
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    They also play sloppy, soft, dumb football and it is a reflection of the coaches.
  15. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,462 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    I don't like Garrett's offense but I do like his persona somewhat. For me, I would go ahead and promote Jason to a GM type if JJ wants to keep him and hire Gruden as the head coach. That way, Jones saves face, has his boy in the organization and brought in a proven HC.
  16. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,937 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    I would love this
  17. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,486 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    I'm for keeping Garrett and turning the playcalling duties over to Callahan.

However, if we had to make a change, I would be cool with Gruden because of his know-how went it comes to developing quarterbacks.

Still, I think this is a time to step back and take a deep breath. Stay the course for the most part (change the defense to the 4-3).
  18. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,462 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    One problem with that. If the OC duties are handed over to Callahan, will he truly run it himself or will Garrett still have a lot of input?

That is what worries me. This offense needs a complete overhaul IMO and I have a feeling Garrett will still take control of parts of it over anyone not named Turner. That is why I think he needs to be fired.
  19. Joe Rod

8,330 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    They actually tried that experiment the first 8 games of 2012 before the wave of injuries, but the offense was gracious enough to the opposition that it only meant 3-5.

Only one interception though. That really has to change.
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,116 Messages
    1,862 Likes Received
    I think that's worse.

I think Dallas needs a new approach, not simply an intermediary which is what Callahan Auto would be.

New OC to run a different type of offense.