1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Rumors: Is Jon Gruden heading to the Dallas Cowboys?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Jan 4, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    You are thinking small. I think Jerry is thinking big. Either sweeping changes or fresh blood Pete Carmichael.
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,176 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    What has Pete Carmichael done? I know he is OC for the Saints, but does he have any HC exp.?
  3. SacredStar

SacredStar Active Member

2,693 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Maybe not NFL jobs but his name has been mentioned in open college coaching jobs.
  4. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,392 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Careful what you wish for. Gruden runs one of the hardest offenses to learn as far as terminology.

I for one, do not want Gruden near the Cowboys...I prefer he go to the Bears or San Diego if he is making a comeback.
  5. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,427 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    this article expresses many of the things I like about Garrett:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/2/3828564/state-of-the-dallas-cowboys-jason-garrett-building-a-lasting-program

No coach is perfect and given the crappy organizational structure with Jerry at the helm, I'm resigned to the notion that Garrett is about as good as its going to get under Jerry and continuing the never ending revolving door of head coaches doesn't bode well for the team either.

There may be better coaches and better GM/Coach combinations but I don't believe any of them would ever be an option Jerry would consider given his unwillingness to do it in any way that doesn't keep him as the central figure.

As such, I believe changing head coaches is tantamount to changing deck chairs on the Titanic.

I'm left with hoping it can work and work for the long term with Garrett. If it doesn't I don't think it will work with anyone else either, especially if they just continue to change head coaches every three years with guys with limited power and ability to enact real change.

Despite the lack of success we all want, I see a different type of team that fights, competes and never gives up which I think will ultimately prove beneficial eventually. I just think its going to take longer than fan patience can stand and he'll probably eventually get run out of town before we see the type of results we all want and then we'll be *****ing about the next coach
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,486 Messages
    1,711 Likes Received
    Yardbarker.

All you need to know to understand this one is a fan written, no evidence, fantasy.

Don't believe it, find any professional site the author writes for.
  7. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....yardbarker is the WORST....just hot garbage: 6 page thread based on this nonsense?:rolleyes:
  8. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,359 Messages
    559 Likes Received
    Ain't happening.
  9. Hostile

118,486 Messages
    1,711 Likes Received
    We don't agree on much. If the story is from yardbarker or bleacher report, and it isn't out on any other site...flush it.
  10. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,217 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    The valitidy in his article, and it is all speculation, is the Dan Patric deal, and the Peter King deal, which we all heard weeks ago.

Other then that it's just a fan doing what we are doing here. hoping. :)
  11. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    1,010 Likes Received
    People keep brining up that these players have been in the system for 6 years. However outside of Romo and Witten who else on the offense has been in the system for 6 years? Also since they brought in BC last year that means the line has been learning a new system already, and it's no different then what Gruden was running. Maybe his style will be a benefit for Romo, Witten.
  12. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,346 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    By the same token he faced his own ex team in SB , so should get credit for that.

I'm open to some other offensive scheme to take advantage of our offensive talent , 6 years of Garrett offense is enough ! This offense has been a slow starter and craps in tight situations , ball control and taking advantage of defensive gaps ......

Now that can happen with or without change in HC .
  13. Hostile

118,486 Messages
    1,711 Likes Received
    Sorry, no. The only part I agree with is this is all speculation.
  14. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,217 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    I know, I know........;)
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    No different than The Landry Hat or Blogging the Boys.
  16. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,259 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Bring Gruden or Holmgren or just keep Garrett. Just say no to Norv and Chan...please.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,388 Messages
    2,106 Likes Received
    Or maybe another coach (doesn't even have to be Gruden) wouldn't allow a player like Ogletree to make mental mistakes after multiple years in the system when there are players behind him who are clearly pushing him.

You got young guys who are making strides, why in the world would you not let them continue to develop? Instad you have a seasoned player continuously look lost and need one-on-one meetings with the QB after every so many plays?

I don't care who's fault it is. Romo to Ogletree has had far too many slip ups and post-play discussions. Simply unacceptable. Just as I didn't care who was responsible for Robinson last year, it just worked. There's no need to hash out why it worked, it just worked. In this case, it just doesn't work and to be quite honest there's simply no need to hash out who is responsible. If after 4 seasons of being on the same team a WR and a QB cannot be on the same page with even a moderate level of consistency, it's time to move on from the weaker component. Clearly that's Ogletree and in all honesty, he probably shouldn't have been brought back in the first place because 3 years is ridiculous in itself.

If the players can't learn the system, get new players. There are few exceptions and on this team Dez Bryant is likely the only one.
  18. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

243 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Gruden completely ruined Tampa with his personel decisions and was delt a good hand playing his former team that he knew inside and out.

Holmgren was a product of Ron Wolf in Green bay and IMO deserves more of the credit for those Green bay teams than Holmgren.

Both of these guys would sell game tickets. Nothing more
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,388 Messages
    2,106 Likes Received
    So they didn't have to play their way to the Superbowl?

How can you say he ruined Tampa when he left after two 9-7 seasons? Must have been that Tampa was horrid the following season.

In that case, what credit should we give the guy for Oakland being in the Superbowl the season after he left Oakland?

Even if true, Holmgren had a career after Green Bay. 7 seasons with 9 wins or more in Seattle out of the 10 years he was there. 5 Divisional titles.

Both of these guys coached QBs who I would consider to be lesser than Romo and both got better than average results. Both went to a Superbowl, Gruden winning his........Holmgren lost but in the game that many say was horribly officiated against his team.

Many people said similar stuff about Shanahan and his post-Elway time. Seems like Shanny still has the King Midas' touch in terms of RBs and he's playing this week.
  20. Airbag

Airbag Active Member Zone Supporter

168 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Wasn't Gruden fired in Tampa after his teams second half meltdown in 08? He inherited a solid team from Dungy and ended his career in Tampa with a .500 record. This place is crazy.