1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL: Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys should part ways after latest loss

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Dec 31, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    The Dallas Cowboys needed quarterback Tony Romo to come up big against the Washington Redskins on Sunday night. Instead, he threw three interceptions, including a crucial fourth-quarter pick that contributed to the Cowboys' season-ending loss. After the latest down moment in Romo's inconsistent career, I think it's time for Dallas to move on; it's time for the Cowboys to cut ties with Romo.

Romo's one of those guys who seems to do really well when it doesn't count, but when it counts, he doesn't get the job done. It's not because he's not smart; it's not because he's not athletic; it's not because he doesn't have ability. He just doesn't do what he needs to, and I think his performance Sunday was a prime example of that.

First, I just don't think he was sharp; he was throwing the ball behind people and so forth. On that big fourth-quarter interception, he was just fooled; Rob Jackson made a good play for the Redskins, but Romo was just fooled.

He also seemed like he was on edge all night. After his first interception, on a ball intended for Kevin Ogletree, the television cameras captured a contentious back-and-forth between the quarterback and his receiver. That would seem to indicate that Romo was pressing, that he almost didn't want to admit that the interception was his fault, even though he did throw behind the guy.

I don't think there's any lack of toughness on this guy's part. I think he's got the ability. Romo can win, but being able to win and actually winning are two different things. There's just something lacking in his performance.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...as-cowboys-should-part-ways-after-latest-loss
  2. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    376 Likes Received
  3. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,376 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    +1
    Agree.

If Jerry has crazy thoughts on extending him, I hope Romo has other plans in mind. Go somewhere in which pressure or expectations arent as high.
  4. boardn10

boardn10 Member

36 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have always been a big Romo supporter and I always thought give him a good offensive line and a running back, and he will do very well. I am willing to give him one more year, but that is it. It is time to start grooming a replacement.
  5. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,022 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Yeah, that happens when your team can't stop a blitz multiple times in a row because red headed offensive genius is the head coach based on having a history degree from Princeton, backing up Aikman, and is in the family portrait of the Jones family, can't figure it out. Color me impressed.
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,204 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    He makes a lot of sense but they'll resign him I bet.

same ole.
  7. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,349 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Dag, that article is spot on. Say it ain't so. But, there's got to be a reason for these unreasonable outcomes. Gil just made sense out of no sense. I didn't think my heart had any more room for punctures. But, there you go.
  8. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Let me be clear... I don't let Romo go until I know I have a replacement that can be better. My point is that I agree with Brandt's assessment of Romo's makeup.
  9. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

863 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    I'll give Romo one more year, but in the offseason there MUST be some change along the offensive and defensive lines. MUST. Until then, I don't see any improvement with the team's record for the near or far future.
  10. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    It's because of articles like this that I desperately want to keep Romo and have him succeed here. It will be so sweet when/if he does.
  11. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,644 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    I really wish Romo wins a SB with another uniform on just to shut these people up and stick it to fans in Dallas.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    Never gonna happen. He isnt the guy. Alot of people fooling themselves
  13. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Careful what you wish for.

Getting rid of this teams only offensive production is only going to make the chosen one look worse.
  14. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Look, Gil Brandt has forgotten more about football in the last two minutes than the entire collective of this form has knowledge.

I would take what he says very seriously.
  15. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Bingo. The insanity of this forum is that it doesn't matter WHO gives information, if it isn't what we want to hear we keep singing the same song.
  16. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,251 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    You cant play that card. You either have to restructure Romo this yr or move on based on his caphit. Romo isnt going anywhere.
  17. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,204 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    Yes he has.
  18. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,022 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Really?

Where'd he pull this information from? Out of his butt?

Such a description is applicable to Norv Turner: Troy Aikman, Alex Smith, and Phillip Rivers. Who has Garrett ever developed as a QB? No one, and if we can assume anything, it's that Romo has regressed under his tutelage.

This whole article is based on a bunch of "he doesn't have it" crap - vague, non-contextual nonsense - and then he anoints Andrew Luck as one who does after one year in the league? Give me a break.

Parcells loves Romo and so did Payton and they had more first hand experience with him than Brandt ever had.
  19. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,376 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    Romo could have the best offensive line/defense and he would still find a way to mess it up.

Romo is what he is. He's good at a lot of things-football, golf, basketball, but will never be GREAT at anything.

The lights shine brighter, the STARS come out. Romo, on the other hand, fades.

Every new season We've been hoping this would be the year. He was having a fantastic December, taking care of the ball and then....Romo just let everyone down with that ill advised pass. How can he even have the support of his teammates anymore when he feeds them the same script? Disaster. ending. every. time.
  20. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Once again, you don't like what you heard, so you deny it.