1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Win/Loss records since league expanded to 32 Teams

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Feb 10, 2014.

1. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,433 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    So it's your position that Dallas and Denver had equally unsuccessful seasons in 2013? I'm sorry, but that's just nonsense.
    Doomsay, CyberB0b and Little Jr like this.
  2. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,724 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Ill take the niners past over ours. Ill take the pats 9 yrs over ours. Knowing your team will compete for a title is a hell of a lot better knowing you really don't have much of a shot. Hoping your "that" team who can come out of nowhere and get on a run 1 year isn't. Very inspiring. Jmo
  3. Little Jr

2,724 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    The niners past 3 years is what I meant.
  4. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    T
    My point is that at the end of the day it means NOTHING unless you win it all.

So all these silly rankings and talk of "playoff wins" (which ONLY gets brought up in regards to the Cowboys) are irrelevant to me.

It doesn't bother me that we've only won 2 playoff games since SB XXX. It bothers me that we haven't won another Super Bowl. Who the hell cares about "playoff wins"!?!? Do you get a nice 6th place ribbon for one of those?

Of course the Broncos were better but it didn't end up mattering one bit. They're sitting at the losers' table like the Cowboys and the other 30 teams.

Will you be happy next offseason if the Cowboys get to the Super Bowl and lose?

Do you envy the Bears for reaching the Super Bowl and losing in 2006? How about those McNabb-led Eagles teams from the early 2000s? You envy those guys? I sure as hell don't.
    Their past 3 years guarantees them NOTHING next year. This isn't the '90s anymore.

Where were all these "just happy to get close!" Cowboys fans in the '80s when Danny White was getting skewered?
    Idgit likes this.
  5. Little Jr

2,724 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Don't think anyone has said happy to get close. I'm saying I would rather have a team that has a legit shot of going to the super bowl than one who doesn't. The cowboys haven't had that except maybe once in the past 18 years.
  6. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    How often do the offseason paper champs win the Super Bowl? In today's NFL any team that isn't complete trash has a shot, so that includes the Cowboys. The 49ers' recent playoff wins mean absolutely nothing moving forward. We'll see how long their dominant D lasts. Recent history tells us they'll fall off soon.

They have to deal with the Seahawks and the 11-win Cardinals, whereas if our D goes from "horrible" to "average" we could definitely win our division. Get into the playoffs and it's anyone's game.

We're not any worse off than any other team that hasn't won a Super Bowl since '97. All this silly talk about "playoff wins" is just designed for Cowboys fans to feel sorry for themselves (or for haters to laugh at us). You either won the Super Bowl or you didn't. The Eagles are still a ringless joke of a team no matter how many "playoff wins" they got in the early 2000s.
  7. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,412 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    That is the lie that Jerry keeps trying to sell the fans. You are worse than Mickey Spagnola.
  8. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    And you're utterly clueless about NFL football. Welcome to parity.

"Waaaah I want a pwayoff win!!!"
  9. Little Jr

2,724 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Well if you think we are no worst off than any other team that hasn't won a super bowl since 97 then I don't know what to tell you. Lol again your hoping to be "that" team. I rather have a legitimate shot year and year out. Like the pats the past 13 years. The niners the past 3 years. The ravens the past 4 years. Seattle this year and the future. The saints. And others.
    coogrfan, BoysFan4ever and CyberB0b like this.
  10. CyberB0b

3,412 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Yeah, I am a big idiot for wanting my team to win.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  11. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Hahahah the same Ravens who fell flat on their faces this past year? The same Saints who fell flat on their faces 2 years ago? So legitimate!!! Year in and year out!
    Maybe after the Seahawks, Broncos or 49ers fall flat on their faces next year you'll finally learn that NFL parity is real. Or maybe not. There's been so much parity this past decade that it's amazing how any football fan still can't see it. It's no longer a random occurrence that happens once every blue moon. Parity is the NORM in today's NFL.

There will likely be at least 3 new division winners next year. There were FIVE new division winners this past season. But by all means, keep crying that we have no legitimate shot and the 2014 playoff field has already been determined. You sound like an obsolete dinosaur who hasn't watched the sport in over 10 years.
    Super_Kazuya likes this.
  12. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,024 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    What makes it more sobering is how are we going to fare when Romo is gone and we’ve not found a suitable replacement as happened when Aikman had to retire.
  13. CyberB0b

3,412 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    If you look at the information in this thread thread, parity only exists for the middling teams. There is a clear, elite class of organizations that have separated themselves over the decade.
  14. IrishAnto

1,024 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Frankly you’re wrong.

The art of being successful is learning how to win.

Anyone can loose

Winning tends to lead to more winning and loosing the reverse.

So just because you didn’t win it all doesn’t mean it was a wasted season as in many cases it can lead to greater things.

How many teams can you name that have had several successive years of loosing and then in one year gone on to win the SB?
  15. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Yeah, like the Chargers! Why can't we be more like them!?!? :(
  16. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    FIVE new division winners this past season. So much for "winning leading to more winning" for those 5 teams that fell off, huh? So much for "losing leading to more losing" for those 5 teams that stepped up, huh?

"Several successive years of losing" then gone on to win the Super Bowl? Not many. Fortunately for us, that doesn't apply in the least bit to the Dallas Cowboys. We aren't even coming off ONE losing year, much less "several successive years".

Of course winning CAN lead to greater things, but that doesn't mean it will. And if it doesn't, then all those winning years wound up being meaningless. The Bears got to a Super Bowl and lost. So did the Eagles. So did the Panthers. So did a lot of other teams. That didn't lead to diddly squat for those teams, now did it?
  17. IrishAnto

1,024 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    If you’re looking for certainties in life then there are only two: Taxes and Death.

After that all bets are off.

However if you’ve been a constant looser for years chances that continues (Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland etc.).

You point out that there were 5 new division winners this past season, yet both SB teams were division winners the year before as well.

They didn’t make the SB that year, but built on the experience and guess what?

And as for this not applying to Dallas, realistically would you pick us over many of last years division winners to win the SB if you had to bet your mortgage on it?
  18. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    We're not a constant loser by any stretch of the imagination. Comparing us to Buffalo or Cleveland is absurd.

If you don't see how parity gives decent teams like the Cowboys a shot, I don't know what to tell you. We were ONE score from a playoff berth each of the last 2 seasons, and it's been proven over and over again in recent years that any team can get hot in the playoffs and make a run.

Anyone trying to argue that we don't have a legitimate shot is wrong. You're either being pessimistic or you simply haven't been paying attention to today's NFL. There are SEVERAL examples of fringe playoff teams making SB runs in the last decade.

I'm not betting anything. I said we have a shot like everyone else and recent history shows that I'm right. Welcome to parity.
  19. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,015 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    Not for me. At this point, all I want to see is improvement. Give me a solid football year and a valid playoff appearance. I want to see a team that is competitive every week and improves with that as the season goes. Tangible hope. Not hope sold to us via an owners/GM's lies and knee-jerk reactions every off season. That's where we are right now, IMO. Superbowls, at this point, aren't even in the conversation as far as I'm concerned.
  20. IrishAnto

1,024 Messages
    150 Likes Received

Do we have a shot? Probably.

Do we actually have a legitimate shot? Probably not.

Name me all the teams that ended up with a winning record that Dallas has beaten in the last three years?

This year it was one, Philly and that was with Foles playing the worst game of his career to date.

We haven’t yet learnt how to beat good teams and now you suggest we have a legitimate shot at winning the SB next year.

That would require us to beat at least three playoff quality teams on the trot!

If we have a winning season next year and managed to beat a couple or more good teams then I might agree with you.

But as for here and now….