1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL Win/Loss records since league expanded to 32 Teams

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Feb 10, 2014.

1. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    What you're describing isn't parity, it's the "I don't need to work hard and save for retirement, I'm going to win the lottery" school of investment planning. Most observers would agree that it is a less than optimal strategy.

The following is a list of NFC teams that have played in a Conf. Championship Game since the Cowboys last appearance in 1995:
    • Philly (5)
    • Green Bay (4)
    • San Francisco (4)
    • Atlanta (3)
    • Carolina (3)
    • Minnesota (3)
    • New York (3)
    • Chicago (2)
    • New Orleans (2)
    • St Louis (2)
    • Tampa Bay (2)
    • Arizona (1)
    • Seattle (2)
    • Dallas, Washington and Detroit (n/a)
    In that 18 year stretch we have a total of one playoff win.

One.

There will be kids graduating from high school this spring who have never seen the Cowboys make a playoff run, let alone a Super Bowl.

But by all means let's continue with the status quo. Our number is bound to come up sooner or later, right?
    Tawney88, perrykemp and CyberB0b like this.
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    Seriously.

The whole "they've been to a Super Bowl recently" argument is pretty flawed. To get there, teams like the 9ers and Haws had to absolutely TANK from like 2006-2011. The Colts had to be absolutely abysmal to get Andrew Luck. The Bears had Sexy Rexy playing QB and were far inferior to the Colts, but got there in a weak NFC.
    Nav22 likes this.
  3. coogrfan

1,558 Messages
    235 Likes Received

So...if I were to say to you "Tom Landry: two Super Bowl titles, 5 NFC titles, 13 NFC East championships, and 20 career playoff victories", your response would be "only two lousy Super Bowl wins in five trys. What a loser."?

Is that really the position you want to take?
    PA Cowboy Fan and CyberB0b like this.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    First of all, that's an absurd comparison.

But to play along...

No, because that would mean ignoring his entire body of work. A team could to 5-11 for 4 out of 5 years, but in the 5th year make a run to the NFC championship game after going 8-8.

Another team could go 9-7 all 5 of those years but get bounced in the first round every time.

There is nothing to suggest that one of those teams is more successful than the other.
    Super_Kazuya and Nav22 like this.
  5. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,010 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    Ummm, yes there is.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    Going to one championship game says that a team has had a better past 5, even with worse/losing records?

Not to me.
  7. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,461 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    Hahahaha you've been poisoned by the media's "playoff wins" propoganda. Reminds me of Romo's "win or go home" record they created just for him.

I've never heard "playoff wins over X amount of years" used to rank ANY team except the Cowboys. It's been perpetuated by the media just to slam the Cowboys and fans eat it up.

Then you see information like that in this thread's OP which shows that the Cowboys haven't been so bad after all. In fact, win percent-wise we're actually in the top half of the league since 2002.

But alas, the media's pretty powerful and the Cowboys - ONLY the Cowboys - are to be judged based on PLAYOFF WINS and nothing more.

Just like how Romo - ONLY Romo - is to be judged by his WIN OR GO HOME record despite all his numbers which show how good he's actually been.
  8. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,138 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    So you're telling me we got a shot ... ??

<- cue the scene from Dumb & Dumber ->
  9. WestCoastQB

WestCoastQB Active Member

220 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    I'm sorry...we used to be about championships...now you are defending Jerry because we are slightly above .500?

Wow, what has happened here?
    coogrfan, PA Cowboy Fan and CyberB0b like this.
  10. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,490 Messages
    2,901 Likes Received
    That's the Garrett homers new line they are trying out this week..................there is really only 1 true winner and everybody else is a loser.

So lose the SB or have first overall pick.........................equal season success.
  11. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,461 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    The fans crying about our lack of "playoff wins" (as if there's any difference, at the end of the day, between 8-8 and 10-6 with a playoff win) are the exact same fans who have downgraded Danny White's entire career despite his many "playoff wins".

No consistency whatsoever from the sheep. They buy whatever the media sells them, whether it's that the Cowboys should be judged on our "playoff wins" (and not our actual record) or that Romo's no good because of his "win or go home record".

Hilarious. No other team and no other QB are judged by those factors.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,702 Messages
    9,920 Likes Received
    My dream is that one day our children will live in a world where the Cowboys are judged fairly.
  13. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,461 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    When you're America's Team and the rest of the world hates you, there's no easier way to generate ratings than to rip on them. That's why no other team and no other QB are judged by those factors. They actually created a stat to perpetuate the myth that Romo isn't clutch. Ratings, ratings, ratings. I work in sports TV so I see it first-hand.

Don't feel bad for not noticing. The general public isn't supposed to notice.
  14. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    The fan base has been divided. Half are fed up and the other half has to believe we can compete in order to cope with this mess.
    BoysFan4ever and coogrfan like this.
  15. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,375 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Damn, Oakland and Cleveland sucks no matter what era you look at. Not sure why, but I was surprised by the Chargers being so high. Man, talk about being good quitely. The boys are about where I expected. No suprises there.
  16. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,138 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    On one hand, you want everyone to believe that anything other than a Super Bowl win does not matter and is insignificant, .. and then on the other hand you want people to judge Romo on only his "numbers" since he has not won anything.

Is that right?
  17. coogrfan

1,558 Messages
    235 Likes Received

The level of (unwarranted) condecension displayed in that post is staggering.

The Sturm formula numbers I posted as a counterpoint to the o/p provide (imho) a more accurate representation of which teams have been contenders and which have been pretenders during the period in question than simply looking at regular season winning %'s can. If you want to believe that any difference between the top teams and everybody else is due to blind luck, be my guest.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,944 Messages
    7,692 Likes Received
    A, there's no reason to be disparaging to posters who don't agree with your take on Jason Garrett and, B, that is not a new line. For starters, it's not new. It's been said many times before on CZ in a lot of different contexts. Two, it's not an argument made by a group of people, however you want to try to characterize them. It's an argument being made in one thread, by one poster. And he's doing a good job of making his point, in my opinion, even if I don't happen to agree with him. Why not debate him head-on if you disagree with what he's saying, instead of trying to obliquely insult the people on CZ who have the audacity to still like our head coach?

And a general note on this thread: this is a good topic. Please keep the conversations civil, everybody.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014