1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: NFP Cowboys/ Giants game notes

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Sep 5, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,373 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Let’s run through my game notes from the Cowboys' 24-17 win over the Giants in New York. My take on personnel, scheme plus some Xs and Os to break down.

Romo's ability to extend the pocket led to points for the Cowboys' offense.
    Romo’s production: The Cowboys’ QB made a poor decision early in the game trying to throw an inside breaking concept vs. the Mike Backer in Cover 2. That was a pick before it even left his hands. However, there is no question he played some good football the rest of the night. Romo’s ability to extend the play, slide in the pocket and check at the line of scrimmage led to points for this Dallas offense. Find the favorable matchup on the outside vs. a secondary you can exploit and let your WR go make the play. Big night for Romo in the box score: 22-29-307-3TDs-1INT.

Giants' Pierre-Paul: I want to say this is “coaching tape” when you study the Giants’ DE, but his athletic ability (plus power) is so unique I don’t think you can teach this. Look at his lateral movement, speed up the field and the strength to walk an OT back into the QB’s lap. And he will only get better.

Victor Cruz’s drops: Rough night for the Giants’ WR. With Cruz, he is at his best inside of the numbers with Posse personnel (3 WR-1 TE-1 RB) on the field. Think of the “option” route here where he can play off of a defender's leverage and work laterally in the middle of the field. However, you have to catch the football. Three drops isn’t going to cut it for a veteran wide out in a divisional game.

DeMarco Murray: Great burst when the Cowboys' RB sqaures his shoulder pads to the line of scrimmage

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/CowboysGiants-game-notes.html
  2. BBQ101

BBQ101 Member

502 Messages
    5 Likes Received
  3. elcowboi

elcowboi Member

816 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Almost never sadly.
  4. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,559 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    That Romo scramble TD pass to Otree was teamwork, but Romo made it work. Romo was scrambling forward with nobody between him and the goaline except the linebackers who were responsible for the middle in coverage. They planted their feet to come up to stop Romo, and Otree and Romo both read it perfectly. TD.
  5. CCBoy

CCBoy Active Member

13,343 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This was an old fashioned team victory. Fought for and won by all...but it took Tomo Romo being special for this one...

and RS12, this was a very good read. :starspin
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,464 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Great article. Thats how football should be covered, by someone who knows the game.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,192 Messages
    775 Likes Received
    Matt Bowen. Need to remember that name

so very few worth remembering any more