1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nick Eatman: Cowboys sign three.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Encore, Nov 26, 2012.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,170 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    This is important.

You can say "next man up" over and over. But imagine if the 49ers lost Willis, Bowman, Sopoaga, McDonald, and Gholdson on defense. That'd be about what we have without Lee, Carter, Ratliff, Coleman, and Church. Yes, we'll get Rat back but still this is pretty extreme.
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,164 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    The one that baffles me is center.

I've never seen any like the long-term, and sheer number of injuries at that one specific spot.

Nagy, Kowalski, Costa, Cook, Costa (again!).

I hope pick #1 for 2013 is used on a center/guard prospect. The first of about 4 picks I'd like to see used on the offensive line.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,610 Messages
    4,497 Likes Received
    It's definitely not an excuse. I've pointing out the injury bug in a number of threads now, and it's only to highlight that we need depth on the team in order to get where we want to get, not to excuse the overall play of the team.

It *is* a factor in evaluating the job individual players or coaches have done, though, obviously. If you cant point to a dozen injuries that are the primary reason why the defense collapsed, for example, and find that even the backups were well-coached on the fly and are just being beat on talent, then it makes no sense to blame the coordinator. When you're on your 4th Center, you have to take that in mind when you evaluate the job Callahan did here in year one with the OL.

To your GB point, I'd have to go look at their injury list that year, but one thing I remember clearly thinking is that the players they brought in as replacements all played as well or better than the starters. That's not a knock on their starters in my book so much as a real testament to the job they did assembling depth and talent over the course of 3 or 4 drafts. Those guys get 2-3 starters or add quality role players every draft. Over the course of 3 years or so, that really adds up for a good team. You need that in December.

I thought (still think, actually) we had as much or more depth as we've had on any team in Dallas since 2007 here at the start of the season. We were think at S and at C, and OT, but looked really good everywhere else (well, WR was a huge question mark, too, but I thought we'd have a player or two from that position group step up, which, finally, appears to have happened).

Then we promptly lost 4 C, took repeated hits at S (though only one was season-ended), and our OTs both crapped the bed relative to expectations (and the RT has struggled by any objective measure). Add to it the damage we've had at ILB losing two really standout players. It's been brutal.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,463 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I am firmly on the RT bandwagon. I'd like Andy Levitre from the Bills or the Cooper kid from Carolina at OG in the 1st round. But until Miami puts the tag on Jake Long I am going to hope beyond hope for him here. If he can't be had give me Ryan Clady from the Broncos or Andre Smith from the Bengals. I want someone mean at RT in the worst way.

One guy I trust told me Bernadeau was going to remind me of Kevin Gogan. I am not seeing that one at all. Gogan is one of my all time unsung heroes.
  5. Hostile

118,463 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I can get you Green Bay's list. It was long, but nowhere near the caliber. I'd take Lee by himself over any 5 on that list.
  6. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,169 Messages
    857 Likes Received

Parcells did this with the Giants. Drafted 1st and 2nd round for 2 years in a row. So netted 4 starting OL for years and their SB runs.....
    no matter the other needs....he went OL, 4 players in 2 years....JJ...you listening.....[uhhh, reading....]
  7. Hostile

118,463 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    The CB we signed to the PS was Reggie Evans, not Reggie Jones. From DC.com, unless they made a mistake.

The Cowboys also made two moves on the practice squad, placing wide receiver Danny Coale (hamstring) on injured reserve and signing cornerback Reggie Evans. They still have an open spot on the practice squad and could retain Holmes if he clears waivers.

Just to tell you how decimated we are at LB, we currently have 2 LBs wearing #98. Brady Poppinga and Jerry Franklin. If we sustain another LB injury we're going to need permission from the NFL to use another number not in the 50s or 90s.
  8. stasheroo

17,164 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Jimmy Johnson did it a lot too.

Maybe not 1st and 2nd round obviously, but he put considerable resources into it.

Hit on guys like Stepnoski and Erik Williams and also missed on a few as well. But he put enough resources into it that he ultimately got what he needed, an offensive line good enough to allow his playmakers to do what they did best.

This team has failed to listen to the old and wise adage that "games are won and lost in the trenches".
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,329 Messages
    2,209 Likes Received
    Correct.
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,232 Messages
    1,155 Likes Received
    Green Bay's list this year may be more relevant:

Greg Jennings - Starting WR - Been basically been out all season
    Desmond Bishop - Starting ILB - Out all season
    Sam Shields - Starting CB - Missed the last 5 games
    Charles Woodson - Missed the last 6 games
    Nick Perry - Starting OLB - Their 1st round pick OLB from this season -- out for the season
    Sherrod - Their 1st round pick LT from last season -- out all season
    Bulaga - Their 1st round pick RT from two seasons ago - out for the season

And your right -- injuries affect on the field play -- even the Packers who are as about as deep as any team in the league are having trouble weathering losing their #1 draft picks from the past three seasons plus a number of Pro-Bowl calibers players in Jennings and Woodson. The Packers look like an absolute shell of the team they've been in 2010-2011. Only thing holding them together is Rodgers.

In 2010, the year everyone likes to point to as the proof-point that injuries don't matter, the only significant player they lost was Finley. They lost Nick Barnett also, however, they found that his backup was better in Desmond Bishop.
  11. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    we keep going to the well drafting injured guys and that well dried up. Murray, Lee and Carter all had injury histories in college. I remember Jimmy passing on Jesse Armstead because he had a bum knee. Went to NY in the 8th round. I'm not hating those 3 guys and maybe they'll come back stronger than ever next year but we need to reconsider the strategy to hitting the lottery in the top rounds with injured stars.
  12. Hostile

118,463 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Which of those three guys has the same injury right now that they did in college?
  13. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,648 Messages
    600 Likes Received
  14. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    what are the odds Miles Austin will come up lame next time he steps on the field? Might be a fluke thing but that's why they're called injury prone. A player tends to save his body from injury and that's when he hurts something else. You look at Adrian Peterson and the guy plays with reckles abandon which is why he's praised by the experts. On the other hand a guy like Felix Jones plays tentative and ends up nicked all the time.
  15. Hostile

118,463 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I don't think this answered my question but I appreciate it anyway.
  16. stasheroo

17,164 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    A very good summary of where we are and how we got here.

While injuries are certainly a factor - and moreso with each passing week - I would hope that they would not be used as an excuse for all of the other wrongs going on around this team.

These injuries should not be a 'get out of jail free' card for this failed season.

The fact is that this team wasn't very good before the spate of injuries they've had.
  17. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    none is the answer. my point is it's a brutal game and some guys seem to endure and never get hurt. guys like ware, witten and bradie james when he was here. other guys always show up on the injury report: mike jenkins, felix jones, spears. some guys don't want to pay the price. a guy like witten it never even enters his mind. he'll never miss time. he'll show up in a wheel chair if necesary. a guy like mike jenkins well you never know what you're gonna get. he gets a headache and misses practice.
  18. Hostile

118,463 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Ware? You mean the guy who had a neck stinger last year and back issues this year that have kept him out of practices?

Witten? You mean the guy who has had a broken jaw and a ruptured spleen?

All players get injured. Most of the time they can play through it. The injury dictates that, not the player's physical makeup.

If you think Ware is immune to a knee injury ending his season you're quite wrong. I assure you.
  19. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    I agree with this. Nobody is immune, not even Adrian Peterson. But Murray has missed more games than Peterson even though Peterson tore his ACL.
  20. Hostile

118,463 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Could Peterson have played through Murray's injury last year or this year?

I don't think Murray's toughness is or should be in question.