1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No A&M/Baylor thread... really??

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Dallas, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    A&M kickinit LIVE. Baylor gettin knocked OUT.

Does Baylor have a secondary that can cover? They chase pretty good.

RG3 just threw an int.
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    A&M is just the better overall team. Going through those early struggles/collapses will set them up for a strong finish to the season. Baylor will finish with 7 or 8 wins...they're still a year away from being able to do some big things in the conference.
  3. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Baylor literally has the worst defense I've ever seen. A&M has a bad defense but good Lord, 681 yads of offense in a game between two BCS conference teams?

Also, Robert Griffin is really really really good. Gets rattled by sacks bigtime, though.
  4. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,692 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    What's your take on Tannehill?
  5. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's a really good college QB for a team like A&M with a good O-Line and running game but doesnt have the arm strength to be more than a backup in the NFL IMO. His mobility and ability as a receiver as well will make him and attractive late round pick for somebody, though.
  6. TheCoolFan

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    At least A&M can get sacks and stop the run. That will keep their offense in games to win it. Baylor just gets carved up left and right, they're like the new Mike Leach Era Texas Tech.

Griffin needs to improve his pocket presence. I know his OLine wasn't doing him any favors but he doesn't seem to have a feel for when to get rid of the ball/escape the pocket. It just shows that just being fast doesn't mean everything in being able to escape pressure. Once he learns that phase of the game, he will be more of a complete QB :bow:
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,526 Messages
    2,074 Likes Received
    Heh... I almost posted this exact thread earlier. After all the Aikbach/30yardslant fights I thought it would be a given. The first part of the game was pretty close.
  8. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,611 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    i didn't get to watch the game, it's been a somber week, death in the family Wednesday. Baylor D was bad as expected, i expected a shootout and appears was right for 3 quarters.
  9. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    by by Hiesman like he ever really had a chance any way

throws for 400 yards an still loses

what did Ark do Casey threw for 540 yards an won the game

wonder who carries a clip board longer in the big leagues

my money is on well you know
  10. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,676 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I don't think Baylor is a year away from anything, without RG3 they'd just be the same old Baylor. He makes an awful team average and that's about as good as that team is capable of getting
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,078 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    I would disagree. I think Art Briles offense will give Baylor a chance just as it did Houston Cougars. I don't expect them winning NC but I think he can help make them competitive.
  12. Doomsday101

75,078 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    I will say that win for Texas A&M keeps them in the running for a decent bowl game. A loss would have pretty much killed any hope.
  13. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Briles' Houston teams wouldnt have been more than average in the Big XII
  14. Doomsday101

75,078 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    then that is still better than what Baylor has done in recent history. Thing is with his system if he can continue to recruit decent talent then his teams will at least be competitive.
  15. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree, but the point is that realistically Baylor cannot ever hope to be anything more than average in a major conference. Sure, they can recruit guys like RG3 but they are never going to be able to recruit well enough over a 3-4 year stretch to field a complete team capable of winning 9+ games in this conference. 7-5 in the Big XII is probably Baylor's ceiling.
  16. TheCoolFan

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Of course it all hinges on Griffin coming back, which I'd say looks pretty good. His draft stock right now is not as high as people would think. As of right now, he'd still be the 3rd-best QB prospect behind Andrew Luck and Landry Jones.

That defense can't get any worse next year as they get used to Phil Bennett's defense. Baylor does have plenty of talent...Briles and RG3 have set it up to where that program won't be in the basement in the Big 12 for the future anymore. They've been Top-50 in the country in recruiting over the last few years, which is much better than where they were at pre-Briles.

Of course they won't be contending for national championships most likely but if things go right, 9 or 10 wins at best could be their potential next year and post-RG3, going to bowl games annually. A lot better than when they were winning 3 games every season.
  17. Doomsday101

75,078 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    I would not bank on that. They likely will never achieve perennial status but there are teams like Boise St was not doing jack but now find themselves as a team who contends and because of that allows them a better chance at getting good players. Same with TCU, if Baylor hope to have a future it will come because a change of culture and kids looking at them as a viable option.
  18. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,611 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Baylor struggled from 1997 to 2004 with serious AD and coaching problems and turmoil, after 20 years of stability and competitiveness under Grant Teaff in the SWC eroded away under incompetent coaches, they began slowly turning a competitive corner in 2005 but had recruitment problems that didn't turn a bright corner until 2008.

there's no doubt Chuck Reedy, Dave Roberts and Kevin Steele were not good head football coaches, each were successful coordinators that couldn't handle the big gig, Guy Morriss fared better but couldn't get recruitment up to his enthusiasm, Briles has been able to do what no one since Grant Teaff has, put an explosive offense on the field, though Teaff also knew how to build a defense, that has yet to be accomplished.
  19. Doomsday101

75,078 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    I agree. Briles needs a defense if he expect to compete in the long term. I do think they have a good DC in Phil Bennett who was hired just this season. I think if given some time he can help this defense

Phil Bennett
    1982 Texas Christian, tight ends & tackles
    1983-86 Iowa State, defensive coordinator
    1987-90 Purdue, defensive coordinator
    1991 LSU, outside linebackers
    1992-93 LSU, asst. head coach/linebackers
    1994 LSU, asst. head coach/def coord.
    1995-96 Texas A&M, defensive coordinator
    1997 TCU, defensive coord. & secondary
    1998 Oklahoma, secondary & co-recruiting
    1999-2001 Kansas State, defensive coordinator
    2002-2007 SMU, head coach
    2008-10 Pittsburgh, defensive coordinator
    2011-present Baylor, defensive coordinator
  20. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But Boise and TCU were able to build their programs in crap conferences. Their teams built up confidence and wins against poor competition, which in turn improved their recruiting. Baylor doesnt have the luxury of playing San Jose State and Idaho every week, and to recruit better you have to win more. Baylor is stuck in a cycle that is almost impossible for a program like them to get out of as long as they reside in a BCS caliber conference.