1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: No Decision On Play Calling; Garrett Sees Pros Of Delegating

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Mar 21, 2013.

1. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,570 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    When it is 2nd and 1, .. and we choose to throw 3 passes, .. I have a problem.

Not that a pass play can't get one yard if executed correctly, .. but that kind of play calling sends a message to your team, and to the other team's defense.

This is not 7 on 7 passing drills, .. this is smash mouth, punch'em in the throat, impose your will, real man football.

Plus one time last year I saw JG disagreeing out on the field with a referee, .. as they were having this discussion back and forth, he realized he needed to call a play. Tough to do both at the same time if you don't have a lot of experience doing that.

It doesn't make him less of a man or less of a coach to not call plays. He needs to do what is best for the offensive flow within the game.
  2. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,639 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In today's pass happy league, not a whole alot of teams do this, or have the ability to do this consistantly, especially Dallas, given their Oline and rb issues.
  3. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,365 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    The Dallas Cowboys fundamentally continue to show a very low football IQ of how things work in a progression of preparation and professionalism, when trying to build a winner in the NFL.
  4. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,570 Messages
    930 Likes Received
    Maybe they should with 3 downs and 1 yd to go, .. thus my point.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    This is my problem with the direction of the team. The last few years, the direction has been finesse football. That stinks IMO. If I was the GM, every decision that I made would be based on fielding a physical, smash-mouth, hard hitting team. There have been questions about the identity of this team. The Cowboys identity should be defined by physical football.
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    What's the hurry in announcing the play caller? There won't be a play called till August anyway.
  7. SilverStarCowboy

7,365 Messages
    376 Likes Received

If you were calling the pays wouldn't you want to know in March,...make that January...of the prior year.

It's the little things that kill.
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    Who says the playcaller DOESN'T know?

I'm saying what's the hurry in ANNOUNCING it.
  9. SilverStarCowboy

7,365 Messages
    376 Likes Received

The Horses Mouth said it.:mule:

Surely you don't believe Jerry "the WANNE BE Football Guy" Jones thinks things out in a cerebral way.

Not announcing the Offensive Coordinator/Play Caller will just make the chain of command and other perceived problems that much worse to players, media and fans.
    :muttley:
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,370 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received

Jerry said it was Garrett call to make. I guess Jerry will get slammed for letting Garrett make the call.

Owner/general manager Jerry Jones and Callahan have emphasized during the offseason that whatever decision is ultimately made will be up to Garrett. The head coach said he’s debated the best route to take for the last two and a half years. He understands all the responsibilities a head coach adds on when he decides to call the plays.