1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No mas - McCain campaign on the ropes

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Sasquatch, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Seeks reprieve from upcoming debate.

LINK
  2. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Wishful thinking.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,024 Messages
    1,045 Likes Received
    you're a hoot, hooterville. someone actually puts down politics to focus on a problem and you call it giving up. geez that iron mind.

Republican presidential candidate John McCain announced today he is suspending his campaign to return to Washington and focus on the crisis facing the U.S. economy. He challenged Democratic rival Barack Obama to do the same. McCain also requested that Friday's presidential debate be postponed.

-----

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Republican presidential candidate John McCain announced Wednesday that he is suspending his campaign to return to Washington and focus on the "historic" crisis facing the U.S. economy.
    [IMG]

McCain said it was time for both parties to come together to solve economic crisis.

The Arizona senator called on his Democratic rival, Barack Obama, to do the same. He also urged organizers of Friday's presidential debate at the University of Mississippi to postpone the event.

"I am calling on the president to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself," McCain told reporters in New York. "It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem."

There was no immediate response from the Obama campaign.

McCain and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, were in New York to meet with world leaders at the United Nations. They had met with Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili and Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko.
    "Senator, governor, I'm really honored to be here with you. I know you have a very important campaign to run," Saakashvili said. "Overall, I have to say I greatly appreciate the solidarity we felt from the American people."

Earlier, Palin met with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani.

Obama on Wednesday lashed out at the Bush administration and his opponent on the handling of the crisis on Wall Street as well as the $700 billion bailout plan by Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson.

Congress and the White House are trying to negotiate the details of what would be the most sweeping economic intervention by the government since the Great Depression. Bush has asked Congress to act quickly on the bailout proposal following news of failing financial institutions and frozen credit markets.

"The clock is ticking on this crisis. We have to act swiftly, but we also have to get it right," Obama said in Dunedin, Florida. "And that means everyone -- Republicans and Democrats, and the White House and Congress -- must work together to come up with a solution that protects American taxpayers and our economy without rewarding those whose greed helped get us into this problem in the first place."

Obama said it's unacceptable to expect the American people to "hand this administration or any administration a $700 billion check with no conditions and no oversight when a lack of oversight in Washington and on Wall Street is exactly what got us into this mess."

He said struggling homeowners must be taken care of in any economic recovery plan -- and that taxpayers should "not be spending one dime to reward the same Wall Street CEOs whose greed and irresponsibility got us into this mess."

He also hit McCain for switching from his stance as an advocate for market deregulation to a strong supporter of regulation since the Wall Street crisis became front-page news.

"He's suddenly a hard-charging populist," Obama said. "And that's all well and good, but I sure wish he was talking the same way over a year ago, when I introduced a bill that would've helped stop the multimillion-dollar bonus packages that CEOs grab on their way out the door."

McCain's bombshell comes as a new CNN "poll of polls" out of Virginia on Wednesday shows McCain with the slimmest of leads in a state that traditionally has been a safe bet for Republicans.

The latest polls could be a warning sign for McCain that he still has work to do to lock down certain states where previous GOP nominees had to spend little time or effort doing so.
    [IMG]

In the new poll of polls, McCain holds a 1 percentage point lead over Obama (47 percent to 46 percent) in Virginia, while 7 percent remain undecided.

The poll of polls is an average of three recent surveys of the state -- MSNBC/Mason-Dixon (September 17-22), ARG (September 17-20) and ABC/The Washington Post (September 18-21). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.
  4. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, you would say its on the ropes.

Ever think he actually wants to solve this problem?

I'm interested to see Obama's response.
  5. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Adam, Barry will not have a response until Axlerod writes in and puts in on the teleprompter.

This is likely part of a politcal posture for McCain. nothing more or less, for the short term. I don't think they are smart enough to come up with some devious plan to make Barry think on his feet. Barry is careful not to get in over his head. He will "think" about his response first.
  6. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Just saw this on MSNBC.

What a CROCK!

They don't need McCain or Obama back in Washington to handle this...we have the whole rest of congress to handle this, all either one of those guys needs to do is vote one way or the other.

McCain wants to put off the debate because he knows he's not going to come out looking good when the questions turn to and they will turn to the economy.

What BS.
  7. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Wiat a sec there concord, the first one is on national security,,not Barry's strong area...this may work in his favor.
  8. iceberg

28,024 Messages
    1,045 Likes Received
    even when someone does the right thing the other side won't admit it. all he wants to do is put the focus where it is and suddenly, it's BS.

if obama did this you'd call it genious, i'm sure.

it's been a dream of mine to see ANY politician stop playing party politics and at least try to put it down and just get some work done that can speak for itself. never thought i'd see it.

and no, i won't let "the other side" make it meaningless.
  9. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't think he's doing the right thing...he's doing what he thinks is right for McCain at this time.

Talk about it in the debate, don't be a pansy and try and get out of it.
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oh come on...everyone has been saying that the ecomony will come up in this debate after what happened and you know it will.
  11. iceberg

28,024 Messages
    1,045 Likes Received
    i do. if our next president isn't needed in washington during our biggest crisis ever put forth in quite some time, when would he be?

you call it self-serving, i call it doing the right thing for the country, NOT himself or the party.

don't talk a good fight, get off your arse and do it.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,815 Messages
    2,907 Likes Received
    If this was the case I would agree with you.

However I think the truth is closer to what Concord is saying, I think the McCain camp is buying time and wants to help McCains faltering image concerning the bail out and economy due to a number of gaffes recently.

This will buy them some time and look good for McCain.

I could be wrong...but I do think it is closer to the truth than just some honest politician wanting to suspend the campaign politics game to help the country...call me jaded. Nor would I believe it if this was Obama doing it if his poll numbers and image were faltering due to the economy and/or gaffes he has recently made because of it.
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You're right I call it self-serving.
  14. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received

IF it did, Barry is not without vulnerable spots on the "economy",

ie: $$ from Fannie and Freddie and a larger pace/rate than only Dodd

Frank Raines and Jim Johnson

His 143 days in the senate a President do not make.
  15. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They can't just focus on the economy the entire time anyway.

Besides, I don't find Obama's "economic plan" that great. I'm not big on Robin Hood economics, sorry.
  16. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received

There is not doubt that politics play into this..neither side can claim altruism here.
  17. iceberg

28,024 Messages
    1,045 Likes Received
    so you'd rather we have a debate where we sit around and say what we'd do if we had the chance, while a HUGE opportunity is RIGHT THERE, and we should avoid it because

1. the next president shouldn't be there, they should be kissing babies.
    2. we should continue to talk about what we'd do instead of doing it.

we have an opportunity to put such pettiness away, that seems to scare you.

i welcome it and hope it's a sign of more to come where we shut up and do something and not sit around and say how great we are w/o ever having to step up to the plate.
  18. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    There is NO question in my mind that is exactly what is going on here.
  19. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,815 Messages
    2,907 Likes Received
    It does not make a lick of difference if you or I or anyone else on here likes or dislikes Obama's economic, or lack of, plan.

The McCain camp has seen his RNC bounce go down and they have seen him starting to slide some. They have seen the economic situation right now is starting to go in favor of Obama concerning the polls as well.

This is a smart move by his Campaign so they can regroup and McCain can be seen in a better light of working to try and help the economy.

I seriously doubt this is all just out of the goodness of McCains heart.
  20. iceberg

28,024 Messages
    1,045 Likes Received
    maybe. but i admire diving onto the problem vs. sitting around talking about over puffs of cigar smoke and witty semi-insulting jabs on tv.

i've seen gafs on both sides for the economy. i see mccain wanting to go to work on the problem.

i'd love to see obama do the same and put aside all our conspiracy theories because i *do* want to see them working together, not always second guessing the other than pretending it's true or not because you or i need it to be.