1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No mention of Harrison Smith?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jblaze2004, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,914 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    if say we trade way down to the middle or late 20's. Would you draft harrison smith if we are looking for a FS and not a SS since we already have sensy as a strong safety. But in todays nfl i think the safety position is interchangeable. Both need to be able to defend the run and play some coverage. And barron looks like more of a playmaker to me while harrison smith would be more of a solid guy.

So would you settle for a solid safety just to get more draft picks or would you pick the safety that has probowl caliber safety at 14. You decide. I don't think barron makes it out of the top20.
  2. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

796 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    Good question. You know, I think the Cowboys MUST have the right kind of guy in the 1st round. All first rounders can play. They have proven it in college. That may or may not translate into the pros. But...

The Cowboys first rounder needs to 'set the pace' for all of the other players to follow. It appears that the great intangible with Barron is his passion and leadership skills. We need passionate leaders on this team - players with a fire in their belly.

Personally, I really don't know any of the players in the draft. Based on what I hear from this board, as posted by others or media outlets, it appears this Barron guy has it. Maybe Harrison Smith does, as well. Just don't know him.

But, if all things are equal when selecting the 1st rounder, whether a player is great in college at DT, DE, QB, FS, ILB, OLB, WR, etc - I take the guy that is going to motive the locker room and the team to never quit and to compete....

Guys like Randy White, Bob Lilly, Drew Pearson, Tony Dorsett, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Moose Johnson, Bill Bates, etc.

Quiet resolve, confidence, failure is not an option, never quit, beat the guy opposite of you, always compete...
  3. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,977 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    I love Harrison Smith as a player (huge ND fan). But, IMO, he is not a first rounder. If we did some type of trade-down (which is looking unlikely), pick up an additional 2nd rounder and he is still there when we pick, then yes, we should take him if we don't get Barron earlier.

I kinda look at his position like I do the QB position (in general, not for the Cowboys). The QB position has two studs at the top and since they will likely go 1-2, then everyone that is desperate for a QB, will look at Tannehill. I never believed him to be a top 20 talent, but since there is a gap between Luck/RG3 and Tannehill, he becomes more popular. Same thing goes at safety. Barron is the consensus best S in the draft and then there is a drop-off. Smith, to some, is the 2nd best safety and that makes him more valuable to some teams.

Again, I would be very happy to see Smith wearing the Star next year, but not as a result of a first round selection.
  4. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,803 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Harrison doesn't look natural while going after a ball in air. I can't see him as a ball hawk type safety.

Also there's some reports of him being indecisive and take false steps. That kinda make you question his instincts a little.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I like Harrison in the late 2nd or early 3rd round. But let's be clear .. .he's a converted LB, and purely a SS. He's got a lot of Adam Archuletta in him.
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Great post my friend. Mark Barron also strikes me as that quiet professional, similar to Ed Reed. He's not going to give you rah rah speeches, and spit when he's talking and yell and raise a bunch of hell, but he'll bring it all day every day and make everyone else around him better.

Leadership is about 10% what you say, and 90% what you do. We need a "do'er" in the secondary.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I don't think Harrison is a first round prospect. I also happen to prefer Sensy at FS over SS, he's more athletic than most people realize and he played very well there when healthy.
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Harrison's game just doesn't translate to the NFL imo. Not nearly athletic enough.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    I agree to some extent. His borderline athleticism is a big risk even in the 2nd round, IMO.

He probably would have been a great NFL safety 20 years ago; however, with the modern passing game, you almost need 2 Free Safeties.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Yup. It's actually the same concern I have with Barron...especially if we are considering using a 1st rounder on him.
  11. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    :clap2: :clap2:
  12. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's a reason why you haven't heard any talk about Harrison Smith in the first.... because he doesn't belong there.

I might look at him in the 3rd. But he isn't the type of player we need so I'd only look at him when his value starts to become too great to ignore. And for me that at the very tail end of the 2nd round and into the 3rd. Once you get to the 60-70th picks, he would be a value that can't be ignored.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    No way I would take Smith in the 20s. Maybe at 45 though.
  14. jblaze2004

8,914 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    yeah people seem to forget sensy ran a 4.44 40 yard dash and had a 3.98 20 yard shuttle and 6.80 3 cone at 6'1 and 214lbs. Not to mention his 46" vertical:eek: . Sensy is one of the most athletic (and big) safeties in the league.

I wonder if we do draft barron would sensy move back to FS?????? He was rated as a FS out of college. Maybe there is more to drafting barron. Helping 2 positions. Move sensy back to FS and draft a start caliber SS. I'll take it.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    He played FS last year and that's when he got paid, I think the plan has to be to keep him there.
  16. jblaze2004

8,914 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    oh ok thanks for the info. Why is everyone saying we need a FS then? Didn't we just pay sensy last year if he played FS than I think drafting barron to play SS would make tons of sense.
  17. ware1manarmy

ware1manarmy Member

77 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    thats what i was thinking