1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No more Rivers or Eli debates

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by jwitten82, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jwitten82

jwitten82 Active Member

665 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    The Giants got the better QB.
  2. Pentagruel

Pentagruel Member

45 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    He got brutalized tonight by that niners D but he kept getting up without even blinking. Almost 60 pass attempts in the pouring rain and he took 22 hits, many of them vicious. If nothing else, he is one tough *******. I certainly think he's better then Rivers, and in the playoffs, I wouldn't take any other active QB over him right now.
  3. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

887 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    Eli was fortunate to get the win and was hardly impressive in the title game. Had it not been for his stellar special teams, smothering defense, and 49er offensive ineptitude baby brother goes down and goes down hard. Eli has had a good year but his body of work is hardly that of legends. You wouldn't take any other active QB over him? Did you just start following football last month?
  4. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  5. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Yeah that was such a bozo comment that I thought it had to of been a typo so I didn't respond.
  6. Bloodbunny

Bloodbunny New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would take Eli over anyone playing the position today with the *possible* exception of Brady. (Brady's 34, Eli 31, gotta think about age) I think we've all seen the film "Rudy," where coach Parseghian states "if you had a 10th of his heart, you'd be an All American"; well Eli has that type of heart and desire. I think tonight laid to rest any remaining doubt about Eli; even the Patriots know they are little more than sacrificial lambs at this point, much as they were in 1996 and 1985.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    Hey there, Giants fan. Congrats on the win today.
  8. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,438 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    If it wasnt' for 2 muffed/fumbled punt returns, didn't he lead his team to like 10 points yeaterday? Kinda like his SB when he had led them to 1 TD all game then threw 2 game-losing picks on that big drive only to watch the Pats drop them. Eventually he throws an ill-advised duck into the middle of the field that is caught by a scrub with his helmet. Eli is a good QB, but I have NEVER seen more fortuitous things happen to a QB in huge moments. His WRs leap over everyone for a Hail Mary in the playoffs while we've watched Fasano and Crayton drop balls and pull up on routes. That vagiants team is lucky to be in the playoffs. If we don't take our game-winning kick off of the board against AZ or the refs don't blow that fumble call in the NY/AZ game, they aren't even in the postseason. The vagiants are good, but their luck has been a huge part of '07 and this annoying run.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Giants were the better team, even with the fumbled punts. 49ers (literally) can't throw to a WR. No team should ever play in a Superbowl where the QB literally can't complete a pass to a WR.

That said, Eli must hold the all time record for being bailed out of easy interceptions by two defenders running into each other. They used to say Donovan McNabb didn't throw many interceptions because his throws were so off target even defenders couldn't get to them. I think Eli's INT totals are held down by the fact that Eli often makes such remarkably bad decisions throwing into triple, even quadruple, coverage that it almost assures the likelihood of defenders running into each other for the easy pick.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,273 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    At the end of the day....he wins. If he gets his second ring, it will be HOF talk.

Eli gets bailed out, just like any other QB. He wins and that's all that matters.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    No not really. It's a nice, simplistic way to think though, and simplicity is comforting.
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    No question that Eli has had a career year, despite having some stinkers this year including last night, but lets not all of a sudden act like the dude has been like this his entire career.

If Dashon Goldson or Carlos Rogers actually can catch, we're talking about Eli being Eli this morning instead.
  13. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    No kidding. I respect Eli for his heart, but my god, I have never seen a QB that throws so many stupid balls--and not only not have it intercepted, but usually come down with a reception as well
  14. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,146 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    I was never a big fan of bhis, but this year he's proved a lot to me. Offensively, his team is riding on him a great deal and he's coming through no matter what.

If he gets his second Super Bowl ring, he'll markedly rise up the list of great quarterbacks.

I give credit where credit is due, he's played great and deserves what he's earned.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    Wow.

Just wow.
  16. Pentagruel

Pentagruel Member

45 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Key words, "In the playoffs". People need to learn to read here. I'm simply commenting on how much he elevates his game when it counts most. I'd rate Brady, Brees and maybe Rodgers higher then Eli overall.
  17. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,936 Messages
    446 Likes Received
    There should be no Romo or Eli debates either, but there will be, because objectivity can be hard to find here.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Nor can we have any more Trent Dilfer vs. Dan Marino debates.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,557 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Rivers this year looked a lot like Eli last year. We'll see if he rallies back.
    Eli certainly outplayed him this year...for once.

I feel certain that Rivers would be doing the exact same things as Eli if he were a Giant.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,557 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Ok.
    There has to be some sort of ejector button for comments like this.

Mods?