1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No Riley Cooper Thread?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,850 Messages
    1,834 Likes Received
    Trust me, I 100% agree. I honestly can't stand when people use the word, and I agree that people as a whole need to stop using the word and not just one race. The word has a terrible history, so I honestly don't see why people think it's "cool" to call your "bros" that word.

Again, I wasn't saying it's ok to use the word, but people shouldn't dog pile on the guy and demand his head, because it's not like he's the only one using this history rich word. Though I'm sure others feel different, but this is just my opinion on the subject.
  2. sunbum

sunbum Active Member

819 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Obviously I hold our countries youth in a lower standard, wish some 24/25 yr olds chime in but I will give you that they should be full functioning adults by that time. And "foolishness" is a better word here........I'm hearing banned from NFL, society, earth. If it's more than foolishness, than the double standard should stop.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    A microcosm of what is wrong with society today. You have one brother who is saying he accepted the apology and is willing to look past it and another who is ready to offer a bounty on him.

And we wonder why we can't evolve past this kind of stuff.
    RoyTheHammer likes this.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I know you weren't. I just wish we could get past all of this foolishness. Doesn't help anybody.
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I don't think there is more to it though. If he had actually started to act as if it was more than just random "tough talk" than the threat part of it would have been an actual issue. As it was, he didn't try to attack anyone.. and in the process of his "tough talk" he uttered something that was unquestionably ignorant and discriminatory.

Now, do i think its going to be blown up into a much bigger deal than it should be? Of course, hypocrites need someone to wag their fingers at to make themselves feel better. That being said though, what he did is obviously stupid and clearly wrong.. and as a public figure in a public area, you have to know that you simply can't do that. He deserves the fine, and he apoligized for it. It sounds like most of his teammates forgive him.. so if the people closest to him can forgive him, i think its time for the general public to do the same and simmer down with the "outrage" and move on.
  6. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,820 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    I'm so thankful this didn't happen to our Cowboys. The Eagle fans seem to be taking it hard for the most part. Except for Marcus Vick who offered a $1000 bounty on Cooper. A bounty in Philly? You don't say. To which someone hilariously commented, "Who is going to loan Marcus Vick $996.50?" Just what the league needs, more Bountygate. Give Michael Vick credit for taking the high road.

I really don't see this idiot Cooper being employed in the NFL very much longer. And I see quite possibly Philly sucking so bad that they have the 1st pick in the draft. Unfortunately, it will be Clowney. What's up with the University of Florida alumnae damaging the NFL? First Hernandez and now Cooper.

Scanning the Philly forums for reactions to this, I also noticed that Felix Jones dropped two passes in the flat in practice today. Just thought I'd pass that tidbit of info along.
  7. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    It really is. Michael standing for all the people that are close to Riley, who know him, and who can forgive him, knowing he apoligized and knowing what kind of person he is.

Marcus, standing for the "general public" who don't know the guy at all, but are ready to, at the drop of a hat, crucify the guy.

Longgggggg way to go..
  8. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,850 Messages
    1,834 Likes Received
    How much you wanna bet he's used the word before as well? Marcus Vick can rot in a jail cell for all I care, dude is a straight up criminal. Dude's lucky he isn't in jail as of right now, he should be counting his blessings instead of putting bounties on people.
  9. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    You brought up another very interesting point in the tail end of that post. That's basically how our society works, chomping at the bits for something like this to come out, pounce on it when it does, then wait for another provocative thing to come out.

Crime and whatever you would call stories like this, are just becoming fads in our country, which brings me back to my original point of how there's essentially just stipulations as to how to react to things in our world, and what to/what not to say when things happen.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Pavlovian. It permeates every part of our society. You literally can not go anywhere without this type of behavior coming to the fore front.
  11. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._far_enough_in_disciplining_Riley_Cooper.html

Here come the ridiculous articles already..

..and i do agree with you in certain respects. Just don't agree that we should completely look past the word choice he used for the people he wanted to fight. Clearly, there was an underlying bigoted attitude being displayed there.. whether it was abnormal for him, only those close to him really know.
  12. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    True, for what it's worth I don't really mean everything I say, I just enjoy debate by introducing counterpoints. It's a pretty bad habit of mine and usually lands me in trouble, but I just enjoy it
  13. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I do the same every now and then.. no worries. I understand what you're getting at, and like i said, i agree with that part of it. (Conditioned responses to certain things)
  14. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,619 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    No Paula Deen comparisons? She just admitted using the word in the past, and she was cut by everyone..i guess im surprised people are surprised theres a lot of outrage over it.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,999 Messages
    4,529 Likes Received
    Behavior needs boundaries. Cultures need tradition, boundaries, respect and honor unless we disintegrate like the Roman Empire. I'll stop there as I can't make this political. It's just an ugly word which represents a lack of respect for humanity, culture, boundaries, respect and honor. No one should use it IMO but there is clearly a difference when blacks use it. I refuse to listen to it and the like. The older I get the sweeter and more humble and more respectful I want to be.
  16. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    She did a bit more than that..
  17. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

1,117 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    Boy that's going to be an awkward locker room tomorrow
  18. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    That was my first though, as well.. haha. Apparently though, he's already spoken to the team and apoligized and those that have talked to the media since then have expressed forgiveness and understanding that everyone makes mistakes. Im sure it will still be awkward for a bit though.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Yeah, it's going to be interesting indeed. I mean, right now the party line on the team is that he is forgiven and I hope that's not just lip service. However, the Eagles really need Cooper right now. They literally have no other option there. When Macklin either returns or is replaced by another player, that is when we may see the real truth of how the Eagles will react.
  20. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,443 Messages
    6,001 Likes Received
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA wow you can't be this ignorant. He was obviously saying it in a derogatory fashion to a black security guard.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.