1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No surprise

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by burmafrd, Dec 6, 2008.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,852 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28083380/?gt1=43001

As if anyone with a brain could not see this coming years ago. They wanted to put all the bad stuff in one area and make it all legal and they did not think organized crime and other problems would not come?
  2. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    It is ironic that this was always trumpeted as a progressive way, and that by making things illegal is the only reason that crime exists.

As if simply taking away the illegality of a thing will make it pure.
    Human nature trumps all ideologies.
  3. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I heard about this on NPR about a week ago. They didnt mention anything about the Organized Crime, but the focus of the piece was that officials were pushing for the hash bars to get shut down because of the crowds of jackhole drug tourists it attracts. Foreigners flooding into the cities and partying it up and wreaking havoc. Apparently, most of the locals are fed up with it.
  4. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh, sweet Jay-sus...

For your information, Amsterdam has had their red light district for centuries, and hash houses going back at least 40 years (at least, they had them when I visited in 1968)...

Do you EVER know what you're talking about??
  5. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Maybe, in some instances, centuries is what it takes to come to a realization. A realization that what is eventually bred is something that's not truly beneficial to a society. Societies are subject to evolution, like everything else, and what has worked for some generations won't work for all generations.

Some things take a great a while to reveal their true repercussions and a choice is forced upon the people that are bearing them. It might not be as simple as, 'anyone could have seen this coming', and the part of human nature that pertains to growing is the realization that this isn't working. It's not that far-fetched for someone to expound on this and comment.

But you know that, you just don't like burmafrd. :)
  6. burmafrd

41,852 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    And I am PROUD of that. I might even put it on my resume.
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

__ Years of Military service, with administration experience.
    Foreign travel experienced.
    Hated by Silverbear.
  8. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, it took centuries for organized crime to figure out there's money in prostitution and drugs?? :D

Why Ike, what ever do you mean??
  9. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I didn't even see that coming...
    Must be getting slow in my old age. :eek:
  10. burmafrd

41,852 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    Organized crime really did not start in the west untill the late 1800s. At least as we know it now- the ORGANIZED part that had tentacles in many places. The Japanese Tongs were around for quite a while as well. The Sicilians and their organization really were the first to go international and remain connected.