1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

No thread about the 2nd to last possesion?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by bbailey423, Nov 18, 2012.

1. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,035 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    My gosh...it was like the New England game last year. Garrett never even TRIED to get the 1st down. We get a 1st down and the game is over. Three straight dives by the RB into the OL and punt from the back of your endzone to a top flight PR. The articles were already being written about "the end of an era" But we somehow pulled this game out. You simply HAVE to try to win the game...not hope and pray that the clock runs out. I am sure Rob Ryan is standing on the sidelines thinking "how many times today do we have to win the game for you"? I was disgusted
  2. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    They were on the goal line. The offensive line was bad at pass protection today. Do you really want them to throw a pass?
  3. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,704 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Yes, I did want them to attempt a pass downfield off play action to Felix. Their corners were grabbing, holding, and getting beat all game. I really like JG but I hate when he coaches SCARED. Also, the oline gave Romo time in the 2nd half, that's how we took the lead.
  4. bbailey423

5,035 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    yes....we were up 4. It's loser football. To a hapless team with a rookie QB. And in our house we bowed down.
  5. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,857 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    Call a rollout, a quick slant, or even a different running play, try to win the game. He called three give up plays, it was the same as simply kneeling down.
  6. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    No problem whatsoever with the strategy. A safety means we give ball back tot he Browns with plenty of time for them to WIN with a FG. The problem is that Moorman hits a bad punt which Cribbs returns and we tack on 15 yards for the horsecollar.

I did NOT want us gambling on our O-line in the end zone. What did we give up today? 7 sacks!

I respect someones right to disagree with the strategy but lets not pretend there was only 1 correct strategy and Garrett made the wrong call. Simply not true.
  7. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Nope, the way the o-line was protecting and Romo's ball security the last couple possessions made the plays that were called the right ones.. Just have to trust your defense in that situation
  8. bbailey423

5,035 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    week 1 against the Giants...we tried to win the game....slant to Ogletree...1st down...game over. Last year....we called 3 straight dives into the OL....give the ball BACK to Tom Brady....and dared the most clutch QB or our era...in his own house....to win the game. I think we all know what happened. And did I mention we missed the playoffs by one game last year?
  9. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Yes, lets just call plays guaranteed to have no downside but have good chance of getting first downs. Its so obvious!
  10. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Nevermind we're stuck at our own 1.5 yard line on a day the O-line is playing the 3rd string center, Derrick Dockery as the backup OG & Jeremy Parnell at LT. Yeah, its exactly the same as the Giants game, or giving the ball back to Brandon Weedin instead of Tom Brady.

I don't mind someone suggesting they'd have done it differently. But to suggest Garrett's strategy was clearly flawed is simply not accurate.
  11. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

There's the answer to your question right there. We weren't facing Tom Brady today. Given the all the game conditions, three straight runs up the gut was absolutely the best percentage call.
  12. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received

It wasn't Tom Brady on the other side. It was Brandon Weeden.

It was the right call, IMO. He put the game in the hands of the defense rather than the offensive line.
  13. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,857 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    Yes, because playing to punt from the 1 leaving more than a minute is such a great strategy. I mean, it totally worked.
  14. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    1,357 Likes Received
    A huge part of this is fourth down, when the punter kicked a terrible punt, and the return coupled with penalty put the ball in our redzone to start their drive.

A playaction on third down could have been a great play, but then again could have resulted in a safety and then them needing a fg to win, with a timeout to use and time on the clock for some plays.
  15. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Had Garrett called a pass play from the 1 yard line and it resulted in a sack/fumble/defensive TD or an int or even a safety and Browns win, he would have been crucified in this place.
  16. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,770 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    It's one of those things, we won the game so it doesn't seem so bad, if we didn't I'd feel different. But heres the rub, seven sacks, let the D ice the game.
  17. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

This is a worse comparison than your OP. Manning!!

Come on, we were near mid field and threw the ball on 3rd and long to attempt to ice it. That was as obvious a call as today's.
  18. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Exactly. Night and day difference between the two scenarios.
  19. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Garrett is always criticized. The trick is to be able to sift through the rubbish and find the criticisms that are valid. Some are. This one clearly, is not.
  20. bbailey423

5,035 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    I guess we should have just took 3 knees to avoid our backup RB....playing behind our backup OL....from fumbling the ball?