1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Nolan Nawrocki - Gruden to the Cowboys (rumor)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by rafaelgreco, Oct 30, 2012.

1. rafaelgreco

rafaelgreco Member

80 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Take it for what it is worth....But, this guy does have some good sources.

It has been rumored for years that Bill Cowher, who settled down in North Carolina, would be the successor to John Fox in Carolina. With Marty Hurney already in place and Cowher’s desire to oversee his own front-office regime a la Bill Belichick, Jeff Fisher and the more established coaches in the league, it never materialized. One requisite for the job for Cowher, after the Steelers won a Super Bowl upon Ben Roethlisberger’s arrival, was that a quarterback be in place, a need the Panthers did not have filled when Ron Rivera (now 7-16 as the team's head coach) was hired. Cam Newton is more physically gifted than Roethlisberger, who was able to succeed in Pittsburgh initially with a very simplified playbook and a strong running game. Although reports have emerged of the use of a consulting firm to replace Hurney, one might not be needed with Cowher already working outside the league, where many top candidates appear to be coming from.

Former Eagles and Bears personnel man Bobby DePaul, the man most responsible for bringing Rivera to Chicago, also remains available, after taking a position as a coach/personnel boss in the UFL, which coincidentally suspended operations days before Hurney was released. Former Raiders personnel man Mike Lombardi, who is expected to land back in a personnel role this offseason, and Jon Gruden, who shared a short stint in Philadelphia with DePaul and Lombardi, also remains available and is believed in personnel circles to be the front-runner for the Cowboys' head-coaching job if Jerry Jones decides to part ways with a struggling Jason Garrett. Gruden was one of the few coaches who have had success working for Al Davis, the owner most similarly hands-on and meddlesome as Jones, and Gruden has been overly effusive in his praise of Jones and the Cowboys in his coverage of the team on ESPN’s "Monday Night Football" broadcasts.

Don’t be surprised if many of the NFL’s rock-star list of out-of-league candidates find a way back into the league this offseason, with many interested in controlling personnel and as many as five GMs (Cleveland, Kansas City, Jacksonville, San Diego and the New York Jets) with sub-.500 records all facing closer scrutiny than ever in an age of increasing accountability.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/10/29/tebow-ratio-must-be-balanced-cowher-to-carolina
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Here is the basic problem: If things go sour maybe Jerry gets pressured to dump Red, but he wont give up control. That is precisely the reason Gruden left Oakland. Call me me highly sceptical. None of these big name coaches wants to be set up for failure.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,056 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    Personally, I'm not a fan of Gruden's personnel moves. He would instantly turn this team into an old veteran laden team.

I think he's a pretty good coach despite how his tenure ended up in Tampa Bay. But as a personnel guy, he would make me cringe.
  4. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,808 Messages
    1,867 Likes Received
    I'd be happy for that IF Jason goes..
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,728 Messages
    2,402 Likes Received
    0% chance.
  6. OklahomaCowboy88

OklahomaCowboy88 Benched

265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Has a throw potatos on the wall kind of feel to it. Besides, who doesn't Gruden rave about during broadcasts?
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    I'm personally done defending Garrett... I believe you need a proven guy like Tony Dungy.
  8. Coakleys Dad

Coakleys Dad The Re-Birth has begun.

4,835 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    glad to hear.
  9. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,278 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Just get me Cowher and I will be a happy clam.
  10. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,201 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    I would be absolutely shocked to see Jones turn his back on JG.
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    I think you could bring in Jimmy Johnson v2, Bill Parcells (done that) and pretty much every other HOF coach and they will all struggle with a clown for a GM.

The players just wont respond well to the circus and haven't. Even Bill couldnt get rid of the entire circus that the GM brings to the table.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,512 Messages
    3,816 Likes Received
    I love Tony Dungy but I'm not sure you could talk him into coming back esp to Dallas. I'm not sure you could get him to even talk to you.

I'm not in favor of a new coach as you just haven't had time to evaluate Garrett although I'm getting more concerned about some aspects. OTOH, I'm liking a lot of what I see as well.

The whole point is you have a good bit of time invested in developing this particular vertical offense we're running. If you bring someone else in here then you're starting over with your offense. That's just a bad idea at this time as long as you can see the team moving forward no matter how slow it may be in some areas.

I do think for the time being Jason needs to move a little more towards putting in more horizontal plays. He's already shown that can be very effective using Witten in that manner. I also think he needs to find the routes that Dez can run more consistently well.
  13. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,935 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    :facepalm: :bang3:
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    So the basis for this is that Gruden worked for a similar ringmaster before? That's not exactly going to be Jerry's reasoning behind hiring a new coach.
  15. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,935 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    When it comes to football, has there ever been any reasoning behind Jerry Jones decision making. :confused: Yet, I would love to see Jerry finally stand up and take charge to get this pathetic team straightened out before its to late.
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,286 Messages
    893 Likes Received
    Sounds good to me. Would love to see Romo walking off the field with a pick with Gruden. Bring it on! Romo is Gannon, but better. Elusive and accurate.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I agree. Not because of Gruden, but because Jerry will stick with Garrett for a long time. Jerry has wanted Garrett as a HC for several years. He is not going to give up on him and admit he was wrong this easily. Two or three more bad seasons and he may consider it.
  18. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    If we beat Atlanta, all this talk will go away. If we lose, I could see something happening. Especially, playing the Eagles right after the Falcons game.

We might be 3-6 by then.
  19. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    90 years of NFL football. 1 coach that has won a championship in two different places.
  20. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,756 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    Garrett has been calling the offense for about 6 years now. Every year it gets worst. At one time we were one of the top offenses in the league. Since Garrett has taken complete control, this offense has withered.

I think its time for a different offensive philosophy.