1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Norm Draft Day tidbits...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,311 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    Sounds good. Give me Decastro, Barron or Brockers and I think we've had a successful first round. Just don't get cute trading down, is all I ask
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Agreed. Anyone of those guys gives you a blue chip player and a Day 1 starter at a position of huge need. The only way to screw this up is if you get too cute.
  3. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,753 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    If we took DeCastro, it would play out a bit like last year did with Tyron. We were in love with the guy. Then a month before the draft we didn't hear a word about him.
    IR is right too, Norm nails a bunch of these picks. He is just a baffoon for the other 364 days of the year.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,384 Messages
    1,788 Likes Received
    In the past, Norm and Mickey seem to have the best idea of what the Cowboys are thinking about a player. They won't come right out and say who the target(s) are, but they will throw out a lot of hints. Once a targeted player is picked, either by the Boys or another team, they will immediately verify that the player was a target. This is usually verified later. For example, they both freaked when Seattle pick Max Unger 2 picks ahead of the Boys in the 2009 draft. It was later verified by most media that Unger was the player that the Boys targeted.

Norm's own opinion of players is usually meaningless.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    In the last couple of years, Bob Sturm has shown he's got a pretty good source at the Ranch. He was all over Sean Lee and saying the Cowboys absolutely loved him when he was completely off the radar for most.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,407 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Yup, keep it simple and go home feeling good about the pick.
  7. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......we don't draft WELL enough to get cute and trade down. Knowing Jerrah's luck, if he did what you suggest Philly would take DeCastro:bang2: (yeah, yeah, I know everyone says they want Brockers BUT.....I can see them taking decastro just to screw us over)
  8. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,461 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    ESPN was saying just a bit ago that the Cowboys were in love with Jenkins.

Really isn't any rumor you can trust, especially in the last few hours.
  9. newlander

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....lets' just do what we did last year: stay at our pick and take the BEST guy out there from Cox, Barron, DeCastro and Brockers
  10. newlander

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...I just don't believe it with all the money we have invested in the def. backfield: it's a smoke screen IMHO
  11. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't risk it, if you want DeCastro take him at #14 and never look back. He WILL be a great player almost as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow, and there's no shame in picking a sure thing at #14 even if it is a guard.
  12. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,173 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    In the first or second?
  13. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, it has got to be either an offer too good to pass up, or all the guys we want are gone for me to trade down. If DeCastro is there, take him.
  14. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No he's not. Norm is quirky, but he knows his sports. He's just more brutally honest and loud about it than many. I contend there isnt a better NFL draft and MLB guy on radio, anywhere.
  15. Double Trouble

8,461 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Didn't say. Cowherd just said that's what he was told.
  16. Double Trouble

8,461 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I agree.

I don't like drafting guards as high as 14, but if they love Decastro, trading down to pick up a late 4th or something would be silly if it means risking losing the guy you love.
  17. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree as well. The Cowboys should be like Tammy Wynettte and... Stand by their man! <sniff>