1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

North Dakota House passes Abortion Ban

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ajk23az, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    http://www.kxmc.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=333726

ND House Passes Abortion Ban

Feb 17 2009 7:37PM

KXMCTV Minot

North Dakota's House of Representatives has passed a bill effectively outlawing abortion.

The House voted 51-41 this afternoon to declare that a fertilized egg has all the rights of any person.

That means a fetus could not be legally aborted without the procedure being considered murder.

Minot Republican Dan Ruby has sponsored other bills banning abortion in previous legislative sessions - all of which failed.

He also sponsored today's bill and says it is compatable with Roe versus Wade - the Supreme Court decision which legalized abortion.

(Rep. Dan Ruby, -R- Minot) "This is the exact language that's required by Roe vs. Wade. It stipulated that before a challenge can be made, we have to identify when life begins, and that's what this does." VO CONTINUES But Minot Democrat Kari Conrad says the bill will land North Dakota in court, trying to defend the constitutionality of a law that goes against the Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.

(Rep. Kari Conrad, -D- Minot) "People who presented this bill, were very clear that they intended to challenge Roe versus Wade. So they intend to put the state of North Dakota into court defending Roe vs. Wade"

The bill now goes to the North Dakota Senate.
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This is great news. I hope that it passes with flying colors.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Nice to see someone is looking out for the truly helpless and defenseless. Blessed are the children.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Ready yourself for invasion North Dakota. Every wacked out, crackpot, nutjob Pro Choice advocate will be arriving in North Dakota over this one. Heck, half of Europe will probably be showing up in Bismark by tomorrow morning. Be like Little Bighorn all over again. Poor folks won't know what hit em.
  5. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I'm proud of my home state :)
  6. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm not sure they should ban it altogether, but I think you should have to give a medical reason or have extraordinary circumstances in order to abort a baby, especially after the first trimester.
  7. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,110 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    It will be interesting to see what the Feds have to say about this. Like pot being legal for medical purposes in CA, but not legal under federal guidelines.

What I'm curious to see if they treat both the same...Or crack down on the abortion law but not the pot law...or visa versa.

I'm all for states rights.
  8. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    This will stand for about as long as the first person challenges it...and then it's going to come crashing down. Until the day that the courts decide that this is a state matter, state legislatures that pull stunts like this are wasting their time.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    I wish the country could agree on what a person actually is. It would make this whole debate so much simpler.

As for the thread, I don't like the law...
  10. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Abortions are illegal in France.
  11. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,310 Messages
    6 Likes Received
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

At last, a reason to believe.

:)
  13. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great news... The first victory for the good guys in a while.
  14. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,198 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    Huh? No they're not.
  15. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,987 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Amen!

Unfortunately, I don't think it will take long for this to be struck down somehow.
  16. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,274 Messages
    2,467 Likes Received
    Excellent work, North Dakota!

In truth, if the law were upheld, it would be more a victory for states' rights than the pro-life movement.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

I agree.
  18. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how. Roe V wade only made the practice legal. It put the issue in the hands of the individual states. So a state has the right to ban it within it's own borders if it so chooses.

And apparently they are exercising their right to chose. Odd how that works out, huh? :D
  19. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,786 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    If I remember right at Little Bighorn...the "home team" won that battle...

Its Feb/March in N.Dak----Temps range from -10, -30 w/ wind chill to +40.....with ever increasing change of Ice storms with zero travel on into March.----we have the home feild advantage.....

...heck, even Kent Conrad isnt even gonna come home after the flood of calls he got over the Pork Bill......he can sit in his Country-wide 6 beach home on the East Coast and crow....

Love to see this...seems as if its a concerted effort: 20 states pushing 10th Amendment, Montana attacking Fed Gun Laws,

and now N.Dak attacking 1 of the big 5 Lefts Religions.....Abortion....

as General Patton would say-----the best defense is a good offense.
  20. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,987 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I wish the state I live in (MO) would take the route of ND. But, with a Dem Governor, and I believe a Dem majority in the General Assembly, it won't happen.

I agree that there's absolutely no grounds for this to be overturned....but, I've lost a lot of faith in the ability of our government and people, to do what's right.