1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Norv as O.C?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BTX, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Would you want Norv Turner as O.C? I would take him all day.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,143 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    Yes but that means the Garrett stays. So its still not a great option. I like the sean payton as HC dream better.
  3. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Like we need more losers on the coaching staff.

Give up the 90's folks, you can move on, I know you can.
  4. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,025 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    Please not another re-tread ex Cowboy coach.
  5. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Active Member

1,460 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I'm old enough to fondly remember the dominant team of the 90's.

BUT, what has Norv done since the Cowboys?

He is no different from Garrett. They both are playing as if their players are able to out execute the other teams player like the Cowboys did in the 90's.
    Problem is, the other team is usually just as good - so that "timing/execute" offense doesn't work consistently.

When you have Emmitt or LT at RB, you win more than you lose in running game, BUT, the Olines don't compare to what we had, etc.

So Norv isn't going to be an upgrade. Love him for what he did here, same with Red (but losing the faith with Garrett) - that style won't work unless you have a dominant team though. WAY too predictable!
  6. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,444 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    no. he's been there, done that.
  7. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Member

241 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I agree with that one line. We need two guards and another center. You then need depth across the line. I would really love to have 10 to 12 really really good OL in camp so that we can trade some depth for other players we may need. You can't successfully rebuild in a year or two. You might have a good record for a year, but to win year after year, you must have a core and a great depth. We don't have depth, nor do we have a good core yet. JMO
  8. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,757 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Am I the only one who thinks Callahan would be an effective offensive coordinator? If your going to go that route why not just give the playcalling duties to someone already on the team who would run a similar system?
  9. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,467 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    I completely agree.

We have to remember that anything can happen in the NFL and with Payton living in Dallas...it's not out of the realm of possibility.

But Norv is a lot like Wade, great coordinator, suspect head coach his side of the ball can be suspect when he's the head coach. But generally, Norv is considered one of the very best playcallers in the game. I remember Belichick being quite candid once about how much he respected Norv's playcalling and offensive mind.

YR
  10. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,467 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    Problem is that Callahan is more of a West Coast Offense type of coach.

YR
  11. noshame

noshame Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,919 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    If you think Tony struggles in this offense, he wouldn't have a prayer in Norv's.

The WCO is the one for Tony.
  12. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree... He'd be better in Norv's system, because Norv is a great OC and QB coach. Garrett's just awful.. But I agree that the WCO is the one for Tony.

And in all honesty, Norv wouldn't take a position as OC under Garrett, knowing for a fact, that despite being an aevrage HC, he's still light years better than Garrett.
  13. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Callahan is name JC this year, hopefully Garrett is fired, this would essentially mean the season is given up on. You can be pretty sure that in this light, Callahan would make some dramatic changes in the offense, because he would essentially be coaching for gig as HC.
  14. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

No Callahan. He gets brought in and the offense is the worst its been since Vinny. No thanks, he doesnt get a pass and should be cleared out with everyone else.
  15. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,472 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Yes,:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
  16. jday

jday Well-Known Member

1,807 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Since we are discussing unlikely hypotheticals, I'd rather have Andy Reid as OC.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,869 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    Any option that keeps Garrett in charge is a bad option.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,458 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I think Norv is a guy who thrives in his role as an offensive mind along with a good-great strong head coach. Very much like Wade. When it was between those two here a few years ago, I was disappointed with both as they are the same cut of meat so to speak. I guess thats why Jerry liked them both as he wants to the walk around HC.

I dont see any reason Norv would want to come to this circus and take a backseat to Jason who cant even manage games correctly. I mean think about it, you would have to put up with Jerry in the staff meetings wanting to voice his .02$ and then you get Jason overriding your calls with more shotgun all game long. If you didnt need the paycheck, I'd personally go coach in the NCAA and enjoy myself way more.
  19. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,173 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    The Norv ship has sailed. Besides, he would need an o-line that doesn't stink to run his offense.