1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Not the Right Time to Draft a Young QB

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DOUBLE WING, Oct 30, 2012.

1. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,267 Messages
    893 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, because I DO think we need to start looking. If Tyler Wilson or Tyler Bray are there in the second, can we really say no?

But as I look around the league, I realize that there are really few worse situations for a young QB to come into than Dallas. Think about it -- do you really trust Jason Garrett and Wade Wilson to properly develop a young QB? We've got a makeshift line that has nearly gotten Romo killed on a handful of occasions. Skill position players who don't know where to line up most of the time. Your most explosive player is a RB who can't be depended on to stay in the lineup. Your best WR constantly runs the wrong route.

All that combined with the typical Cowboys media scrutiny. It seems like such a lose-lose situation for any young QB to be in. There's too much the guy would have to overcome.
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,891 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    a running qb like griffin could help make our line look even better in the run and pass game. The skins line is worst than our but because of griffin's dual threat ability they have to respect him in the run game.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    No, it isn't.
  4. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Agreed. I'm not sure why Wade Wilson still has a job.

I think having a more qualified QB coach would help Romo as well.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,656 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    It's always the right time to draft a franchise QB. Most valuable position in team sports.
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,207 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    Definitely! If the right guy is there you do it.
  7. ksadler1

ksadler1 Member

58 Messages
    16 Likes Received

Absolutely agree. When your QB is 32 years old and has taken a beating for the past 4 years, you have to look at QB if a top guy is there. But please Jerry, no more projects like McGee.....
  8. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bray is a Joke of a QB so he is easy to skip over their is only a few QB in next years draft that scream draft me draft me if they fall. Can we pass on one in the 2nd and wait to the third in this year draft I say yes.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I don't like the QB class this year, so I hope Dallas puts off picking one this year. Actually, they have let two good QBs get by in the draft that would have offered good value (Dalton and Mallet). They would be ready to take over by the time Romo's contract is up. Unless another good value pick comes up in this years draft, I would rather wait a year to draft one.
  10. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Been thinking and saying this over and over. I have never heard anyone say anything positive about Wilson. Look at the development (or lack thereof) of Stephen McGee. He didn't get even a little bit better from the time he was drafted and he was a very raw player. I refuse to believe McGee was just some bum who didn't want to get better and tuned everyone out. I suspect it reflects the coaching. Some of Romo's issues as a quarterback are probably a reflection of the lack of coaching he's receiving as well.