1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Not to be taken too seriously Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Biggems, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    First off, a trade....

I studied the draft chart numbers on DraftCountdown.com. Then I went to Drafttek.com to look at their 7 round mock, just to see the drafting positions of certain teams.

I found a trading partner where the numbers match exactly. Of course, I doubt that partner would actually want to trade with us, or even need to, but I just wanted to have some fun with it.

Our trading partner is the San Francisco 49ers.

We are sitting there at 18, and there is a player they really covet, so they call Jerry and strike a deal.

We give them our 1st (18) - 900 pts and our 3rd (80) - 190 pts = 1090 pts
    They give us their 1st (27) - 680 pts, their 2nd (58) - 320 pts, their 3rd (90) - 140 pts, and their 4th (122) - 50 pts = 1090 pts.

So to recap, we swapped 1st and 3rd rounders, while adding 2nd and 4th round picks.

Then, later in the draft, we find a trading partner to swap 5th rounders, adding a 6th and 7th.

1 (27) - DE Alex Okafor - Texas or DE - Dion Jordan - Oregon
    2 (49) - RB Eddie Lacy - Alabama
    2 (58) - FS - Phillip Thomas - Fresno St. or CB/FS - David Amerson - NC St.
    3 (90) - OG Alvin Bailey - Arkansas
    4 (111) - S TJ McDonald - USC
    4 (122) - DT Brandon Williams - MSSU
    5 - DT Josh Boyd - Mississippi St.
    6- OT Terron Armstead - Arkansas - PB
    6 - DE Chris Jones - Bowling Green
    7 - TE Jack Doyle - Western Kentucky

The only regret with my draft is that I could not find a way to sneak WR Quinton Patton in it....but he will go in the 2nd, and I could not justify taking him over a RB like Lacy, who should be a great compliment to Murray, and a ballhawking FS like Thomas or Amerson. Patton and Brandon Williams are my two favorite prospects in this draft, both for their production and character on the field, and their character and demeanor off it.

Ok, now let the bashing begin........
  2. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Add up your points again on SF picks. I come up with 1190, not 1090. Not going to work with that total.
  3. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received

darn, you are right.....my math was off by 100....still, if the Niners truly covet the guy in the 1st, then 100 pts is no big deal....
  4. patrickstillhere

patrickstillhere Member

67 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I really like your trade, but I dont like your mock.

I think you should do something like this:
    1. Shariff Floyd, DT- Our 3tech guy.
    2. Eric Reid, FS - 2nd biggest need
    2. D.J. Fluker, OT - starting RT
    3. Larry Warford OG- biggest need/starting G
    4 TJ McDonald, S - FS depth and Kiffin's guy.
    4. Montee Ball, RB - Backup
    5. Devin Taylor, DE - Tall guy, backup DE
    6. Braxston Cave, OC- future starting OC/LS
    6. Chris Harper, WR - WR depth
  5. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received

I dont like Eric Reid at all. I think of the top safeties in this draft, he should be at the bottom of the list. I also do not like Montee Ball. He was very unimpressive this season, maybe he was playing hurt or something. I doubt Warford lasts till the late 3rd. I honestly see him going as soon as the late 2nd, most likely early 3rd. The combine will be huge for him.

I have no issues with Floyd. That would be a nice 1st round pick.....but I would still draft Brandon Williams in the 4th.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,802 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    Okafor is not loved by alot scouts. McDonald and Kiffin are a bad mix.
  7. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,811 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I like the trade but would have gone a completely different direction in the draft.
  8. wick

wick Active Member

737 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    My worry with Okafor is that he's not big enough to play on the line but not quick and agile enough to play linebacker. I think he's a poor man's Greg Ellis and probably isn't a guy I'd want to see us take in the first round.
  9. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,596 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    How do you know about Quinton Patton? As you can probably guess, I love the guy.
  10. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Points should be off again since their draft position just changed last night. They are looking at 29-32, now.
  11. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I would do something like this with the picks you have.

1 - QB Ryan Nassib Syracuse
    2 - OG Barrett Jones Alabama
    2 - OT Dallas Thomas Tennessee
    3 - WR Stedman Bailey West Virginia
    4 - C Khaled Holmes USC
    4 - DT Brandon Williams Missouri Southern State
    5 - SS Duke Williams Nevada
    6 - RB Rex Burkhead Nebraska
    6 - CB Tyrann Mathieu
    7 - OG Braden Hansen BYU
  12. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received

I absolutely hate the Aggies.......HOOK EM

so when a guy lights up their D for over 200 yds and 4 TDs, I take notice. So I started looking into his stats. He has outstanding stats, especially when it comes to finding the end zone.

on one of the youtube videos I saw, he was spending time with special needs children. They were doing something before the game, and he almost missed the kickoff because he was showing one of them around. im sorry, but this kid seems to get it, both on and off the field.

this is why I am so high on him. I want him in a Cowboys uniform. He may not have speed to burn, but a lot of WRs don't. He knows how to get open, get some serious YAC, and find the end zone. That is what I want from my WRs. He also seems to be a great lockerroom guy and would do some nice things in the community.

Unfortunately, we have so many needs elsewhere...OL, DL, S, RB....that I cannot justify spending a 2nd rounder on him, even moreso if we stay with only the 6 picks.
  13. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received

we actually, since they dropped, the 100 pt deficit they had, would now be closer to even. Since dropping spots in each round, drops several value points.

Once, the Super Bowl is over and we have a new Champion, the draft order will be set for the most part. The only thing left to consider is the comp picks. I doubt we get any comp picks in this draft....

However, in 2014.....if we let several of our FAs go and limit the number we sign, I believe we should be able to get at least a few. I would love to end up with 3-4 comp picks in these rounds.......4, 5, 7, 7

My draft did not include FA signings. The scenario I like is to let Sensabaugh walk. Sign Jairus Byrd. re-sign Frampton. Johnson and Church should be healthy. Draft a ball hawking safety.

Starters: Byrd, Church
    Bench: Johnson, Frampton, Draft Pick

As for CBs, we will probably only keep Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick. So we need two more. I see us drafting one and adding one via FA.

Starters: Carr, Claiborne
    Bench: Scandrick, FA, Draft Pick
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,802 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    So doe Russ Lande, has him rated number 17 on the NFP big board.
  15. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    #17 overall? that is a bit high. He is a very good player, but he isn't an elite athlete. I would have him ranked from the 35-50 range.
  16. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    So we are going to draft a safety that could not run Kiffin's scheme at USC but expect him to do it in the NFL? TJ is yet another safety that is very good in run support but lacks coverage skills.