1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Notable people lost to us in 2012

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Phoenix, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,644 Messages
    253 Likes Received
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,683 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    I only know between half and 2/3 of those people without the descriptions :/
  3. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,161 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Neil Armstrong, Ernest Borgnine, Levon Helm, and Earl Scruggs probably left the biggest impression on me.
  4. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My family and friends have left more of an impact on me then any celebrity.

I think it is symptomatic for the problems in our society that their lives and contributions get so celebrated when they die and normal people (unless it is some horrific tragedy like the elementary school) are barely an after thought. I feel for the families of the deceased celebrity but beyond that I rarely give it anymore thought. Maybe I am symptomatic of what's wrong with our society.

Off my soap box
  5. Phoenix

4,644 Messages
    253 Likes Received

Wow. Talk about a jaded point of view. Boggle.

"Symptomatic for the problems in our society". :rolleyes::blind:
  6. Howardlittleton64

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe overstated but the hero worship bothers me.
  7. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,161 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Good for you. Ernest Borgnine left way more of an impression on me than any member of your family or friends ever have.
  8. Howardlittleton64

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It is sad that a person you likely never met and likely didn't even know you existed meant so much to you. It seems that he may have meant more to you then people who actually made real contributions to your life.
  9. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Don't know how many here are into jazz, but Dave Brubeck was a master. Though the song his quartet was best known for, Take Five, was actually developed by the alto sax player, Paul Desmond who left the rights to the royalties for the song to the American Red Cross.
  10. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,161 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Are you sure that it was a soap box you climbed off of and not a Kotex box? Do you seriously think that I put Ernest Borgnine or Earl Scruggs in some sort of hero class? Of course not...nobody could be that stupid. I pointed out the 4 people off the list given that I liked better than the rest. Sorry if I missed my mom, my 4th grade science teacher, or Father De Larosa off that list of pictures. Now give me back the 3 minutes of my life I've wasted talking to you!
  11. Howardlittleton64

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why mention they left a big impression on your life? What was your point? I just think it's sad, that people you don't know and have no idea who you are left such an impression on you. I just don't get it, but that is me. You choose to further the discussion because you felt insulted. I think it says more about you then anything I said.
  12. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I felt sad when Tom Landry died. Now I feel bad for feeling sad.
  13. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

761 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    So Neil Armstrong was a publicity hound?
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,287 Messages
    690 Likes Received
    He made his arms into his initials when he first landed on the moon and then he did a bunch of sit ups during his first press conference when he got back to Earth.
  15. Phoenix

4,644 Messages
    253 Likes Received

Why not? These were important people who had major accomplishments who had great impact on every one of our lives. What's the point of mentioning it? Oh, just that they DIED. And what they did for us. That's all. If you can't understand that then I will fail again to get this accepted as a post, thanks to the waaaaaaaay-over caring of the Mods here. That's another story though.

So. Some people can just stay under a rock and worship those close to them, their family. Fine. Most of us don't live under a rock and realize what impact a lot of people have on our lives. And we HONOR their passing. Whether some people like it or not.

So, give me ANOTHER warning Mods. I dare you. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  16. Howardlittleton64

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't really see how an actor or a musician could have a greater impact on my life than a member of my family or close friend, but that's me. Personally I see it as a look at me post. To each his own.
  17. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,334 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    I'm sure the "celebrity", who served in an Army unit made up of Japanese-Americans...in a battalion that was the most decorated unit of the war. Was a WWII Medal of Honor Recipient, and second longest serving U.S. Senator, would stand and salute your right to your opinion.

'Course, he'd have to do it with his left hand since he gave up his right one, fighting for your freedom to make yourself look like a dolt.

Bravo!
  18. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    :clap2:
  19. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

761 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    That saying: "Speak only good of the dead" ;)

I have a higher regard of those attempting to do something that got their death's reported than the cynical that diss them...anyone can do that.
  20. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What has your family/friends done for this world?

Don't worry I'll wait....