1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Note to Garrett: Did you see NE's RB lined up as Wr

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ninja, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,629 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    I often wished RBs Dunbar and Murray would have been used a little like that. I especially thought Dunbar was also a good receiver and would have liked to see some ingenuity from Garrett. I don't remember Garrett doing anything like that with the RBs.

We have an OC who doesn't do anything creative. But on the bright side, at least we no longer have a defensive coordinator (Wade) who counters a quick RB lined up as a WR with a slow LB.

Putting your players in a position to succeed.
  2. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,045 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    That's because Bill Belichick has a great, innovative coach with a great coaching staff.

The way they always have a "next man up" is really a marvel. Woodhead is a JAG, but they made him into such an important piece of the puzzle. When he goes down? No biggie, plug in Shane Vereen or whoever else.Truly amazing.
  3. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    sea and den lined their rb at wide.den rb scored a 20+ yard td out the formation
  4. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Yeah, that really doesn't make sense to me as to why we don't do that.

There aren't many LBers that can stay with a Murray or Dunbar, say on a crossing route or even a quick out to them. The same goes with Hanna, the guy is an athletic freak and we never try to take advantage of those matchups.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,444 Messages
    1,636 Likes Received
    You're right but there is a belief on here that an Oline is just going to fix everything and we can play this bland style of football at this level with success.

They're trying to get a certain matchup. Usually trying to get a LB on a HB.

Our offense is just take what the defense gives. We don't really look for matchups.
  6. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,709 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    It comes down to the discipline and focus of an entire team, which falls on the head coach. That, I believe, is where the Cowboys have sorely lacked over the last several years.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,807 Messages
    2,635 Likes Received
    Did anyone else catch the pregame of the Atlanta game where one of the ATL offensive players was saying that this year we have schemes that give us an advantage versus years before when we simply tried to out-execute everyone?

Yeah.
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,682 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    When Murray was drafted the DC website was going on about how good he would be in the passing game and could play WR. I've never seen him motion out or line up not in the backfield.
  9. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,195 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    That doesn't work as well in a timing offense because you have to have running backs who run phenomenal routes. It's not enough for them to run away from the defense. They have to run routes like a receiver so that they're in the right place at the right time.

Besides the protection needed all the help it could get this year.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,799 Messages
    7,160 Likes Received
    There's just no excuse to fail to exploit defenses with Lance Dunbar.
  11. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,651 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Let's face it. NE has Bellichek but also has Brady who is one of the most accurate passers ever. Some of the throws were absolutely perfect. You cannot throw a better pass to RB on that TD.
  12. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Active Member

1,070 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I thought we did as well as NE with the "next man up" thing....

NE are doing it with the existing roster...we had to go extra step to picking up people from the street and STILL managed to get to the division title game...

Stop the self-beating mentality...we are not NE at the moment but we are getting there....

:cool:
  13. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Probably need another blocker since the OL couldn't keep Romo upright for more than 2-3 seconds...
  14. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Garrett doesn't have a creative cell in his entire body. Remember when we played Denver in 2009? He called like 6 running plays in a row. Yeah, that'll throw them off, Garrett. :rolleyes:
    Then, when he caught flack for that, the next game he called 6 passing plays in a row. We were on the 1-freaking-yard line. 3 pass plays.

Garrett's been a terrible OC for YEARS.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,444 Messages
    1,636 Likes Received
    He got owned that game and we still almost won the game.

I can't believe Romo can do was he does with a bad Oline and a bad Playcaller.

Heck, Rodgers was the most sacked QB in the league this year but his ability plus coaching overcame it pretty well.
  16. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,178 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    Or Phillip Tanner.....
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,735 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Perhaps if Murray could stay healthy and practice every week then they could do more with him.

A lot of teams split either a linebacker or safety out to cover a running back lined up out wide. It depends on who else is the defense has to account for in the formation. You can't put a DB on every body unless you sub out a LB or two. You do that and then the offense just shifts into a running formation to attack the smaller DBs.
  18. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,178 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    Both Felix and Murray were purported to be excellent receivers coming out of college, who could line up wide and create mismatches. But we have almost never used either player in this fashion.....
  19. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,660 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    These posts all show why we need a new, innovative OC here.

I think Garrett is trying to do it the way we did it in the mid-90's. Won't work with the guys we have.

Things have changed, the NFL has changed, and our roster certainly has changed.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,444 Messages
    1,636 Likes Received
    I'll never forget Felix's Rookie year and how we struggled to get him touches.