1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Now she wants to be VP...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by vta, Jun 3, 2008.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Please go away. Please.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton on Tuesday told New York lawmakers she is open to being the running mate of Sen. Barack Obama, her rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, two of the lawmakers told CNN.

Sen. Hillary Clinton trails Obama by 159 delegates and is 201 delegates shy of capturing the nomination.
    1 of 2

Rep. Charles Rangel, a senior member of the New York Democratic delegation, also told CNN, "I have reason to believe she is open to the [vice president] slot."

One of the sources added that former President Clinton has been privately pushing for a couple of weeks for his wife to be No. 2 on the ticket.

On Monday night, a close friend and advisor of the former first lady told CNN that Clinton will say tonight "that she will do whatever it takes" to put a Democrat in the White House. Barack Obama insiders saw that as an indication she would accept an offer to be his running mate if asked.

"In her speech [Tuesday] night, she will convey the message that first and foremost she is committed to Democrats winning in November and will do whatever she's asked to do," the Clinton advisor said.

"She will do whatever it takes to bring the party together to win and whatever is asked of her to make sure the Republicans are defeated," the advisor added.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,489 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    If I were him, I wouldn't touch that option with a 10 foot pole.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    He should chuckle. Then move on.
  4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,853 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    He would repair some hard feelings, but hellllll no.
  5. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how he would benefit from that.

Pass.
  6. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,722 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Why won't she go away? I can't take much more. Just go away, please!
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,819 Messages
    2,087 Likes Received
    In ways this presents a problem. Obama now could almost be forced to have her on the ticket or else the deep seeded resentment some of the Hillary supporters have shown would only grow deeper if they feel she is being snubbed.
  8. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Member

529 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I am curious why some of you think having her on the ticket would be a bad idea? Is it due to her very substantial and long standing negatives?

I must admit I am torn on the idea. On one hand, she is a disgustingly cunning and manipulative politican that has shown, time and again, her willingness to do and say ANYTHING to win; up to and including blatant cheating and lying. On the other hand, having her on the ticket could help bring in women and hispanice and a whole heckuvalot of people that voted for her.

Question is do the negatives outweigh the positives? Further, would those people that she brings to the voting booth vote for Obama anyway?
  9. Hostile

118,489 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    Because I do not want her to be President under any circumstance and I would not want anything to happen to Obama so that she could be.
  10. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Member

529 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Good answer! And I absolutely agree.

It also brings up my biggest fear about Obama... which is the possibility that he'll be assasinated.
  11. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    because as mean, cold and callous as this may sound, i would not be surprised if the dems took the white house, obama ended up dead somehow inside 6 months.

you can almost see the betting begin in vegas.
  12. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have stated many times that an Obama/Clinton Ticket would sink like the Titanic.

Also, I do not believe this country is ready to have an African-American and a Woman occupying the White House at the same time, that is too much change, that is my personal belief.

Far from that, Barack Obama needs to fill the number two spot with someone that has some age on him/her, some skins on the wall and with more moderate views to counter his lack of experience and perception that he is extremely left wing.

Obama/Clinton 2008 would be a total disaster.
  13. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Member

529 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I understand what you are saying. That said, there are MANY on the left that would call Obama/Clinton the "Dream Ticket". What is it they are seeing that we are missing?

Personally, I think those on the left calling for the "Dream Ticket" are vastly underestimating the galvanizing power of Hillary Clinton to the right. Having her anywhere NEAR the ticket will do more than anything John McCain could to get out their vote.

I think having her on the ticket would do more bad than good... I just wonder what those calling it the "Dream Ticket" are sweeing that I'm not.
  14. Hostile

118,489 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    The two most powerful 2008 candidates united.

It might be a dream ticket, but I would hate it.

Bush Sr. had 8 years as Veep, and 4 as Pres. for 12 years.
    Bill Clinton had 8 years.
    Bush Jr. will have 8 years.

That is 28 years of Clinton and Bush in the White House in one capacity or another. 4 or 8 more years with her as Veep would be 36 years.

Enough is enough. Let her stay in the Senate in NY.
  15. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,853 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I've had it explained to me by my dad. He's a life-long Republican and a faithful listener of Rush. He told me that he wasn't all that enthused with McCain and might not even bother voting this election UNLESS Hillary managed to win the nomination or get on the ticket somehow.

At that point he said he'd go door to door to make sure she never got there. There is a LOT of hatred for her on the right. Obama doesn't really inspire as much hatred. You won't get as much of the anti-vote out as you would if she were connected with the ticket and that might be the difference between winning and losing.
  16. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Member

529 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I think you're right on the money Ozzu.
  17. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,567 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I don't see Hillary. Bill Richardson or a moderate Dem.
  18. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,086 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    no kidding, by Hillary.
  19. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I must have missed this?

I have some relatives, most notably my brother who thinks he would be assasinated.

All I can say is that all hell would probably break lose if that were to happen.

However, I do not think he would be assasinated but he could because others have been.
  20. hank2k

hank2k Member

516 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Despite what some may think,this is not really a national election. Some states are just out of reach for Obama (much of the south ) and in some states like CA and NY (full of liberals) McCain has no shot.

Really there are like 15 or so states (probably fewer) that are "in play" so the VP choice of either candidate could be someone who would help deliver those.

As for the polarizing effect of HRC and potential to galvanize the right , Im not so sure.

I believed this at one time, but the many people who are turning out to vote for her are white lower educated (comparatively)"bubba" types (see West Virginia and Kentucky) and women , 2 groups Obama needs to get on his side.

The real problem with HRC on the ticket is how to promote the "Change" agenda with her there.

Id kinda like to see Wesley Clarke if she isnt the choice.