1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Now Why Would the NFL Do This Since It "Never Happened"

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,103 Messages
    3,119 Likes Received
    NFL reminds teams of rule on mimicking cadences

9/30/2011 5:40:18 PM

The NFL has reminded teams of the rule prohibiting defensive players from mimicking the offense's signal-calling cadence after Dallas accused the Washington Redskins of causing the Cowboys to bungle several snaps .according to the Associated Press.

As part of a memo sent to clubs this week, the league reiterates that it's unsportsmanlike conduct for defenders to use "acts or words" that are "designed to disconcert an offensive team at the snap."

The memo says that players and their coaches are subject to discipline if the NFL determines a team violated the rule.
  2. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

999 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    I think it was the Titans game where they were also accusing the other team of shouting out the cadence. Maybe someone can verify this but I think I saw it on NFLN. The Redskins did it, we know it and they know it and that is all that matters..
  3. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,679 Messages
    419 Likes Received
    I think there was also a 15 yard penalty called for it during the Atlanta game.

I think it has become more prevalent since they moved the refs. Teams feel they have a better chance to get away with it now. There's no doubt the skins were doing it but Costa has a problem if he is that easily fooled. he has to get that worked out because its likely to happen again.
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,913 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    yeah costa has to be one of the dumbest centers. I mean for him to do it what 4 or 5 times?:bang2:

He also did it in the jets game. I think killa might be a better option but idk. We do not 3 rookies starting on the O-line. Costa better get them snaps squared away.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,724 Messages
    10,007 Likes Received
    The fact that the NFL sent out a memo about it doesn't mean it happened. They're merely addressing the issue so it doesn't happen anymore if it did.

I thought it did. But then Bowen made a great point about if they were simulating the snap counts, why didn't any of the other OL false start?

So I don't know. I'm going to lean toward the side of Costa just being a bad player.
  6. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because they're trained to go on the snap of the ball when it gets loud.

We're shocked by this. :rolleyes:
  7. Risen Star

22,724 Messages
    10,007 Likes Received
    But this same training doesn't prevent multiple false starts around the league every single week of the season.

I know it isn't news. Phil Costa is a starter only a team with no OL talent.
  8. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As predictable as death and taxes. smh...
  9. Risen Star

22,724 Messages
    10,007 Likes Received
    Here's another as predictable - DeMarcus Ware is a great player.

Some things just are what they are.
  10. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    why is anyone here saying that Costa (and the Cowboy organization is lying)--sure he should be more savvy than he is, but give the kid time--the league sent a memo; they did not send one telling teams to quit falsely accusing teams of cheating--the Skins were cheating and we beat them anyway with half the team hurt--be happy
  11. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,739 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    I brought this up in my thread about Jerry Jones tidbits. It's pretty obvious that the league determined that the Redskins were, if fact, guilty or they would not have sent a memo to all teams.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,696 Likes Received
    Three things.

Since football began both sides try and draw the other offsides or trick them or fool them. Nothing new there.

Costa should have figured it out - instead it happened again and again and again throughout the whole game.

And WHY in the world did not Hudson Houck, one of the most respected and experienced OL coaches around, not do something? Are you telling me he did not know? There from all appearences were no changes or anything else to try and compensate through the entire game.
  13. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,646 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    come on guys, would this guy ever lie?

[IMG]
  14. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,832 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Like the memo sent the week before about not faking injuries, believe the league thought the accusations had merit but could not prove it happened. Just my guess.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,525 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    What gets me is that one of the local radio shows was just flat out calling Costa a liar based soley on what Shanahan said. Even when it got out that several of the players were complaining repeatedly to Hudson Houck on the sideline, that guy still took Shanny's word...simply b/c he said the center had a mic and it would be evident if it happened. I disageee.

I feel sure that it happened at least once or twice. Maybe they got in Costa's head and he overreacted, but I do think it happened.
  16. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Best rational logical reply thus far.
  17. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,646 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    no precedence exists to level fines or mid week punishment for the majority of in game rules violations, just things considered a danger to players
  18. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I give you that much. They would and should send out the memo simply because it was alleged to have happened.

Acutally there was also a false start on Kosier who is very intelligent and is the most experienced OL we have. He very rarely makes that type of mistake. I'm inclined to believe that it did happen. But Costa has to learn from this and figure out how to avoid it or everyone will be doing that to him.