1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NY Giants vs. Dallas on MNF (1971)

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by bbgun, Jul 17, 2011.

1. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know everyone's getting antsy for football, so I thought I'd dip into the archives again. This was an ugly game. 11 fumbles combined, but the good guys prevailed. Staubach and Morton started the first and second halves respectively. Pretty good quality for its age. Enjoy.

Intro, + a Staubach PSA urging you to avoid drugs.
    [youtubehd]zwGU8Q7NTco&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Roger gets careless
    [youtubehd]-WTCuv1EKNM&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Bob stuffs the run
    [youtubehd]qwOYD1UQ3-Y&hd=1[/youtubehd]

12 to 22
    [youtubehd]H7ChsDJDkKE&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Little Pudding fumbles
    [youtubehd]pS-zqG5LjIg&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Defense rises up
    [youtubehd]QgcSx4W4Jik&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Cornell sacks Fran
    [youtubehd]-R17NXmiRvM&hd=1[/youtubehd]

12 to 22 again
    [youtubehd]YsXMyh4klt4&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Damn goalposts
    [youtubehd]IVZm8njsH-Y&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Cosell's classic halftime highlights.
    [youtubehd]oAbL0Zj2lWs&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Hill injured
    [youtubehd]3lVSwZrPLAs&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Reeves picked off
    [youtubehd]kEPd811I-0Y&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Lee Roy forces turnover
    [youtubehd]rWrz7qsVjzI&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Long TD from 14 to 22
    [youtubehd]rFrwj_o7ZPk&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Pugh sacks Fran
    [youtubehd]FfAwJtLl_EI&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Bad night for Reeves continues
    [youtubehd]V1TXlGiZ324&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Howley makes a play
    [youtubehd]u1jdSm7TNrI&hd=1[/youtubehd]
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,574 Messages
    2,950 Likes Received
    First Bob Hayes catch...I guess pass interference didn't exist back then LOL.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,636 Messages
    5,548 Likes Received
  4. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Cool, Thanks!
  5. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,494 Messages
    1,135 Likes Received
    I used to stay awake on Monday nights just to watch halftime highlights. Before the days of cable and the Internet and satellite television, Monday Night Football was the only place where you could see highlights from other games around the league.
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Boy are you old. Wait, so am i. :mad:
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,656 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    Those were the good old days for sure, probably my favorite team ever, the first SB winner.
  8. SC Cowboyfan

SC Cowboyfan Member

740 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought it was great when george michael sports machine started for highlights of the games in the 80s.......:D
  9. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,732 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Where is a clip of the end of the game with Dandy Don singing "The party's over"? Incomplete!

Just kidding BBGun. I enjoyed that immensely. I got a chuckle out of the MNF intro showing a kickoff with the straight-ahead kicker.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,831 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received

Yeah. Our local channels would only cover the Bears or maybe the Packers or Cardinals. So it you wanted to see highlights of other games this was the ONLY place.
  11. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,212 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Very nice. Thanks for posting this.
  12. fiveandcounting

fiveandcounting New Member

1,592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For any fans of The Odd Couple on this board, this is the game being shown in the episode where Oscar does MNF with Howard Cossell.

"Staubach is scrambling. He's scrambling with the dexterity of a lizard!"

Classic laughs
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He skipped the song that night. He was in a sour mood when Cosell reminded him that he held the record for most turnovers in a season.

Yeah, I remember that one. Oscar was supposed to get back at Cosell by hitting him with a barrage of prepared insults ("Evel Knievel should jump over your mouth"), but he got stage-fright and went silent. That's when Felix took over and screwed up the play-by-play. ;)
  14. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Ah, it brings back some fun memories. I enjoyed the old commercials nearly as much as the old game footage! Well, not really, but they were fun too. :)

It's almost strange how the mind instantly reverts back to the old days, seeing the old players back in the day, just like it was yesterday!

It would have been icing on the cake to hear Dandy Don's off key voice proclaiming that t,he time had come to "Turn out the lights..."

Thanks for sharing!! :thumbup:
  15. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember Cosell once saying to Frank and Don: "Gentlemen, your respective teams are not distinguishing themselves. They are putting on a very poor display." (or something like that)

To which Don replied "Well, Howard, at least we have respective teams."

Was it this game?
  16. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I watched it this weekend but don't recall Don taking that shot. Howard beclowned himself by saying the Cowboys should just run the ball all night. That was right before the long bomb to Hayes.
  17. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    People remember Cosell fondly now but don't forget the guy could be incredibly grating. It was truly love/hate. In that Morton to Hayes clip you get a taste of the Meredith-Cosell back and forth of that night. Part of the charm but also a bit childish of Cosell IMO.

The other observation I'd make is that you'd expect the graphics to be archaic versus today's high-tech standards, and they were. But the pre-game comments from Meredith & Gifford both come off as totally unscripted to me. No way would they fly versus today's standards. But then I think that's also why back then it was more about the game itself.

Frank Gifford was pretty darn good IMO for simply being an ex-jock. As the PBP he needed to bring the professionalism where Dandy & Cosell had a bit more license. Gifford to me pulled it off beautifully, especially considering his background.
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I appreciate an uncluttered screen, but back then, you could go huge stretches without knowing:

1) what quarter the game was in
    2) how much time was on the clock
    3) what the score was
  19. burmafrd

41,831 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    and if you listened to Howard you would get all those wrong. He had the incredible ability to just about always say something that was totally proven untrue in the next minute on the field. You would listen to him talk and think the Packers were getting blown out and the game would be tied.
  20. burmafrd

41,831 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Yet I have never enjoyed football games as much as when those three were doing MNF. No one has ever come close since.