1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama Admin: Still after Net personal data via social sites.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by sbark, Sep 1, 2009.

1. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,508 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    http://www.nlpc.org/stories/2009/08...rvest-personal-data-social-networking-website

NLPC has uncovered a plan by the White House New Media operation to hire a technology vendor to conduct a massive, secret effort to harvest personal information on millions of Americans from social networking websites.
    The information to be captured includes comments, tag lines, emails, audio, and video. The targeted sites include Facebook, Twitter, *******, YouTube, Flickr and others – any space where the White House “maintains a presence.”
    In the course of investigating procurement by the White House New Media office, NLPC discovered a 51-page solicitation of bids that was filed on Friday, August 21, 2009. Filed as Solicitation # WHO-S-09-0003, it is posted at FedBizzOps.com. Click here to download a 51-page pdf of the solicitation.

This is the third controversy involving the White House internet operations in less than a month

Given the White House’s recent abuse of its New Media operations, this huge, new secretive program is yet another sign that this Administration is at best indifferent to privacy rights and at worst prepared to violate civil liberties for political purposes.
  2. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    **** Obama. Why do the mediots and leftists support this loser?
  3. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,279 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Uhhhhhhh, newsflash, all that stuff is readily available to any of you and good businesses use it all the time. You caught the part about "hiring a technology VENDOR" right? Businesses do this all the time. It's called marketing, and it's a smart way to sell your product, or your ideas. You already know this, but I guess you needed reminding. :rolleyes:
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,128 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Yeah well danny boy maybe we are a little more worried when a place with ALREADY SO MUCH POWER wants more?
  5. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,965 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Cool, I'm sure you will still be cool with it when it's the Palin administration doing it in 2013...:)
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,668 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    :lmao:
  7. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Companies have been doing this for at least 10 years. The White House isn't after your personal data; the federal government already has all the personal data on you that it needs to make your life miserable. It's after what people are saying to try and stay a leg up on public debate. Now that we are entering the time when politicians are FINALLY becoming more net-savvy, I expect to see similar efforts from every administration regardless of party going forward from here on out.

Just a reminder; anything you slap out there on a social networking site where ANYONE has access and can read it, it's not private.
  8. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    So how is harvesting personal information in this manner the role of the federal government? Is this a wise use of our tax dollars?
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,668 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I know their answer to that ...... because its Obama and he is dreamy.
  10. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I would argue that it is part of their role, because the practice supports policy. I don't see that its any different from commissioning a poll. I don't want any administration making policy without doing research first. Whether it is a wise use of money or not would depend on how effective this turns out to be, which I have my doubts about. Most people's twitters, facebooks, and blogs are 99% crap that no one cares about.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,765 Messages
    2,809 Likes Received
    Kind of like the W admin has been listening in to phone calls and invading privacy without search warrants and that probably continues with the Obama admin and will continue with the next admin.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    That has been happening for a long time. Long before W. I don't like it and not defending it but the fact is, its been happening for decades.
  13. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received

What part of the Constitution covers that? Is there a particular amendment that provides for that role? If I remember correctly the role of the federal government is laid out in very simple terms and anything beyond that role is reserved for the states to decide.

Maybe I am missing something.
  14. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    So does the constitution say exactly that Gov't shall use IT firms to comb the internet for chatter about the issues of the day? No. Nor does it say anything about polls, or asking people on the street, or any other sort of research gathering method employed over the 200+ years of our nation's history. But it is a means to support the execution of powers granted to the federal government. So, if you are going to use the unconstitutional argument against that, you will have to use it against 99% of everything else the federal gov't does since its not mentioned specifically in the Constitution and the result is that we end up with a gov't that has all these powers granted to it, but the methods to support their executions are not. So in the end you'd have all these powers with no means to actually act.
  15. CowboyDan

3,279 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    You're missing something, definately.
  16. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    At least we agree on something. The majority of things the federal government does are not provided for in the Constitution. The Fed has grown into an unstoppable monstrosity that ignores it's original role as laid out in the Constitution.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Not that I like the idea, but how is this a violation of ones rights to privacy? The internet is not your bedroom, if you post something publicly on there, anyone can get access to it.
  18. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Well, the problem with your line of thinking there is that "the government is only able to do what the Constitution specifically grants it". I'm pretty sure you've read the Constitution before somewhere, but its fairly vague. It grants the Federal Government all sorts of powers, but doesn't say exactly how it should go about executing them. For example, from Section 8

Now, since it doesn't say how Congress should establish those offices and roads (lets say, by contracting builders) does that mean that Congress cannot contract a builder to build a Post Office? I know that sounds incredibly nitpicky and ********, but that's essentially what you are doing here with this line of thinking on information/research gathering.
  19. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,508 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    ....my concern would be the govt ability to utilize the ISP addy's to get actual names, address's.....

and then use that info as absolute power to further the agenda....along the lines of the following article

RNC Suggests Dems May Deny GOP Health Care - CBS News [IMG]
    Aug 28, 2009 ... RNC Suggests Dems May Deny GOP Health Care ..... I mean, it's not like the NAZIS or Soviets denied anybody health care, is it? ...
    www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/28/.../main5272000.shtml

......somewhat farfetched at present it can be argued, and yet with the loons in power such as Holdren, Dr. E. Rahm, the commie czar and Obama Chicago thug politic roots........very conceivable

20. CowboyDan

3,279 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    [IMG]

You're paranoid...............stop watching Glenn Beck and get out more often.