1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama admits a mistake in handling of Tom Daschle

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by TheCount, Feb 4, 2009.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,672 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Obama Admits 'Mistake' in Handling of Daschle Nomination

President Obama tells FOX News he takes responsibility for the handling of Tom Daschle's Cabinet nomination; he also says he's standing firm on a Feb. 16 deadline for the economic stimulus.

President Obama admitted he made a "mistake" in his handling of Tom Daschle's Cabinet nomination, telling FOX News on Tuesday that he takes full responsibility for a process that ended in Daschle withdrawing his name amid tax problems.

[...]

Daschle's withdrawal, along with wrangling over the stimulus, made for possibly the rockiest day of Obama's presidency so far. The president said he will learn from the Daschle debacle.

"I consider this a mistake on my part, one that I intend to fix and correct and make sure that we're not screwing up again," Obama said. "Ultimately I have to take responsibility for a process that resulted in us not having a (health and human services) secretary at a time when people need relief on their health care costs.

"So this is a mistake -- probably not the first one I'm going to be making in this office, but what I'm absolutely committed to doing is fixing it," he said.

Full Story

------------

I can't remember the last time I heard a politician, much less a president, admit they made a mistake without litigation. I can't wait for the anti-Obamanites to show up and give their predictable rebuttal.
  2. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Give us a break. Of course the man is going to say he made a mistake. Why? BECAUSE HE MADE A MISTAKE.

The Daschle crap is just another embarassing spot on Obama. You can't really put another tax dodging cabinet member in your administration. You have one already. Something must be done? I know - Daschle leaves and I say Im made a mistake. All better !! But not really. You still look pretty bad right now w/ everything else that is going on. That last thing Obama needed was this. :)

How was Obama SUPPOSED to handle it? Say nothing? That would have been worse than saying he made a mistake.

You are all golden now because he said he made a mistake, huh? So am I. Because?

Umm...because he made a stupid mistake and didnt follow up properly w/ the vetting of Daschle? Hrmmmm?

Do you want us all to come in now and kiss Obamas toes? Is that what you are looking for Count?

He's human. You are just now realizing that I see. :)
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,672 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    You clearly know nothing about me if you think I'm an Obama worshiper.

I'd say a president admitting a mistake when he makes one is a good thing.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    Too late

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145603
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,672 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Maybe the rule about having thread titles that clearly explain the thread content should apply in the Political Zone as well?

But thanks, now I know where to go to see my predictable rebuttals. ;)
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    W admitted that they could have handled the Hurricane Katrina situation better. (watch out for slobbering cajun coming in to explain that one)

W admitted that he should not have used certain language or phrases when talking about AQ and saying stuff like Bring it on and so on.

And he admitted he miscalculated when making a victory speech on USS Abraham Lincoln in 2003. "Clearly putting 'Mission Accomplished' on an aircraft carrier was a mistake," he said.

And of Hurricane Katrina - when he was slammed for not landing Air Force One in devastated Louisiana - he admitted: "It was a mistake."

So I give him credit for that. I also give Obama credit for admitting to being wrong.
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    It does, but you may be right about enforcing it a bit better.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,672 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Wasn't this all after his terms were over?

I'll give him credit for doing it though, but I only heard about all this stuff during his final days in office, maybe he said it sooner and I missed it.
  9. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We're talking about Barack Obama, right? The man who said that he "absolutely" backed the nomination just two days ago? Despite the fact that he knew that Daschle had failed to pay $140,000 in taxes? Face it: Obama's had a disastrous week. He humiliatingly lost two Cabinet appointees to tax scandals and damn near lost a third. Anyone who tries to spin these events as a net gain is either insane or just a hack. So, which is it?
  10. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,707 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I've seen most presidents admit to mistakes from time to time...

Interesting though... less than 24 hours earlier he said he stood behind the Daschle nomination "100%". Sleeping seems to change his mind overnight on many issues... ask Jeremiah Wright...

Now in defense of Mr. Obama... I'm sure this tax evading Tom Daschle was "not the Tom Daschle he knew"... ;)
  11. BrAinPaiNt

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    Some of it was. Some of it was not.

He talked about Hurricane Katrina and took blame for some of it a year or so back. Also about the bring it on talk and so on.

Which I thought was funny when he did it during his last press briefing and people where acting like those two things were new revelations...but he had talked about them in the past.
  12. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

It surprises me that some think it is so astonishing that he would apologize over this. He had 2 options.

Not say anything and look worse
    Apologize and look human. (Ill take this later if it were me-common sense)

You have to admit you are wrong. It was good for Obama to say so. Nobody is arguing that fact.

But to say no politician or president has apologized for things w/o litigation is just pure nonsense.
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Count has to learn that sometimes you have to sit back and watch "your guy" be taken to the woodshed for a well-deserved spanking. It happened to Bush after the "Mission Accomplished" fiasco and it's happening to Obama this week.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,672 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure he's still behind him, in the interview he says he's not saying his mistake was tapping him since he still feels he's qualified for the job. He says his mistake was in allowing the process to get so confused when the goal was to give American's someone they could trust in a position we need filled right now.

But there is obviously some truth in what you're saying as well.

Yeah, not landing was a pretty bad move, but if he said it earlier then more power to him. I wish he'd have said it closer to the debacle since there was so much resentment immediately following the event, but it is what it is.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    The litigation line he used was silly.

However I think it is shocking the amount of times politicians screw up and just don't admit to it or never apologize for it.

That is why I give credit for it.

Sure it should be a given that they do it, but it is just not the norm in politics.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,672 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    The litigation line was a joke aimed at Clinton, that anyone would take it seriously is what's silly.

And what you said was my point, not that the man should be worshiped. People still arguing over this stuff like they can somehow undo an American presidential election is simply ridiculous. I was never a huge Bush time but once he was elected (both times), I didn't take it as my sworn duty to wish the man failure at every turn.
  17. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    The apology doesn't really mean jack to me. What is he sorry about? Sorry, he couldn't hood wink the American public and get another tax cheat in office?

He KNEW about Daschle's tax problems and still went forward with the nomination. Even after they came out, he said they were not a big deal and tried to pass it off as just a mistake that happend. He thinks the American public is dumb and he can do whatever he wants and smile and wave and people will eat it up (he's half right).

The only thing he is sorry for is being caught. Empty apologies don't hold water with me.
  18. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,322 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    Does that mean he can't count on your vote in 2012?
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,672 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    What would he even have to gain in expending effort to get tax cheats in office?

Unless you think he's so dumb that he'd think he could sneak these guys in and no one would ever discover their tax issues, which are a matter of public record?

The same guy you believe hoodwinked the entire nation is now going to suddenly turn stupid?

Is your theory that he's a secret agent of the IRS or a secret agent of tax cheats nation wide?
  20. BrAinPaiNt

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    Sacase offers an apology that he will not vote for Obama.:laugh2: