1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama Burned: Gregg Withdraws After Policies Too Much To Stomach

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by sacase, Feb 12, 2009.

1. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    http://drudgereport.com/

OBAMA BURNED: GREGG WITHDRAWS AFTER POLICIES TOO MUCH TO STOMACH
    Thu Feb 12 2009 16:18:14 ET

For Immediate Release:
    Thursday, February 12, 2009

Senator Gregg Statement on His Withdrawal for Consideration of U.S. Commerce Secretary

Sen. Gregg stated, “I want to thank the President for nominating me to serve in his Cabinet as Secretary of Commerce. This was a great honor, and I had felt that I could bring some views and ideas that would assist him in governing during this difficult time. I especially admire his willingness to reach across the aisle.

“However, it has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me. Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy.

“Obviously the President requires a team that is fully supportive of all his initiatives.

“I greatly admire President Obama and know our country will benefit from his leadership, but at this time I must withdraw my name from consideration for this position.

“As we move forward, I expect there will be many issues and initiatives where I can and will work to assure the success of the President’s proposals. This will certainly be a goal of mine.

“Kathy and I also want to specifically thank Governor Lynch and Bonnie Newman for their friendship and assistance during this period. In addition we wish to thank all the people, especially in New Hampshire, who have been so kind and generous in their supportive comments.

“As a further matter of clarification, nothing about the vetting process played any role in this decision. I will continue to represent the people of New Hampshire in the United States Senate.”
  2. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/fir...regg-withdraws-nomination-commerce-secretary/

Gregg Withdraws Nomination to for Commerce Secretary

Republican Sen. Judd Gregg withdrew his nomination to become President Obama's commerce secretary on Thursday, citing "irresolvable conflicts" over issues like the economic stimulus package and the Census.
    In doing so, the New Hampshire senator became the first Cabinet-level nominee to withdraw his name in protest.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson withdrew his name for commerce secretary in January amid an ethics investigation in his state. And Tom Daschle withdrew his name for health and human services secretary over criticism about his failure to pay taxes on unreported income.

Gregg, in a written statement, said he's withdrawing his name because his and Obama's policy views are too different.

"It has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me," he said.

"Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy," he said. "Obviously the President requires a team that is fully supportive of all his initiatives."
  3. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,508 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    Voted for Geitner the tax cheat for Treas. Secty...........but thinks the ethics of the Obama Spending bill & invisible Commerce Dept not there.......

he would have disappeared faster than Hillary........didnt any media follow her to China?..............or wasnt there room on the plane with the newest missle Tech she took along (missing laptops from Los Alamos)
  4. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,508 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    .....but he could stomach voting for Tax cheat Geitner for Treas Sect?...:(
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    She tends to draw sniper fire so no one wanted to accompany her. :lmao:
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,242 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received

Well, their goes the only guy in the Cabinate who could walk out of the State Pen and note be shot at for trying to escape.

:laugh2:

Oh well...........
  7. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I guess he FINALLY came to his Census? :bow:

[IMG]

Im here all day. Try the fish and don't forget to tip your waitress. :p:
  8. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm glad he's holding on to his Senate seat.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,181 Messages
    1,308 Likes Received
    Wonder that the Obama mites are going to say about this?

Its getting kind of funny after all the fawining he was getting early on about how great his cabinet was going to be.
  10. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Nothing.
    His biggest supporters won't dare to come here anymore.
    This Obamination won't go 4 years without an impeachment or a revolt.
  11. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    We can always hope!
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    His appointment to that position was cynical from the get-go. Another black eye for Team Competence.
  13. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,604 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    IMO, Obama is only a problem because he is impressionable. He is still a political prepubescent. If he would just stop listening to everyone in his ear and go with his gut, I think he could actually do some good things.

There is influence I would like to remove from his life........Pelosi....She has far too much say in the dealings of our national govt.
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It will happen...all roads of disenfranchisement lead to it...inevitable.
    30 million for swamp mice?
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,181 Messages
    1,308 Likes Received
    Pelosi is without a doubt the worst excuse for a Speaker in History.
  16. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They'll probably say not to believe what Gregg is saying about his reasons for withdrawing his name... they'll say he knew what the stimulus bill was gonna look like when he agreed to take the job...

And they'll be right... which leads us inexorably to Gregg's REAL reason for withdrawing his name-- he found out that Commerce would not be running the 2010 census, rather the White House would be in charge of that...

IOW, the ONLY reason he wanted the job was to be able to control the census, and help the GOP in the neverending game of gerrymandering districts... as soon as he found out that Obama is not an idiot, and he wouldn't be able to get away with what he was planning, he withdrew...

Once again, a prominent Senator puts the interests of his party ahead of the interests of the nation...

Naturally, I'm completely unsurprised that none of the righties in here knows enough about politics to figure out what this whole thing is really all about...
  17. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm here for the long haul, Artie... you don't get off that easy...

Yawn... I think I'll keel over in utter awe and amazement if a hard-core righty ever expresses an original thought, rather than parroting the sludge that Jerome Corsi et al feed him...

Yeah, that'll happen... ROTFLMAO...
  18. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If a card-carrying idiot like Dubya got away with pulling the crap he did for 8 years, Obama has nothing to worry about in the area of impeachment...

Frankly, the Republicans don't DARE do something like that... they tied up Congress for years in the Clinton impeachment process, while the Dems deliberately passed on that temptation with Dubya...

So if they try to play the impeachment game again, the American voter will see the party for what they are...
  19. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,009 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Right, 1 man in an overwhelmingly Democratic government was going to create a GOP gerrymandering game.
    Let me spin it the other way, Obama realized that having a Republican in what normally is a mundane position would be a BAD thing for the Dems and their Gerrymandering ways so he quietly pushed Gregg out now, before it was too late.
    Of course that won't make the media news either
  20. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,023 Messages
    1,042 Likes Received
    sb - here's where i get utterly confused at how you interpret things.

why would obama give him the position then take the power of it away? how come that is excused?

how come obama is the one wanting to "gerrymander" districts yet you blame the person who was given the position, power to do that was taken from him, and then he left?

like i said - you don't see what's being done in as much as who does it. maybe we all do, but you and insane desire to "rightie" everyone - well, enough for me this am, bear. you can't collaborate with someone who hates the other side.