1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama: Cambridge police acted stupidly *Merged*

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Jul 23, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Obama: Cambridge police acted stupidly

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/obama_cambridge_police_acted_stupidly_072209

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Wednesday that police acted "stupidly" in the arrest of prominent black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. and that despite racial progress blacks and Hispanics are still singled out unfairly for arrest.

"This still haunts us," Obama said.

Obama called Gates a friend, and said he doesn't know all the facts of the case. Nonetheless, Obama said, anyone would have been angry if treated the way Gates claims police in Cambridge, Mass., treated him. Gates claims he was arrested in his own home after showing ID to police who responded to a report of a possible burglary.

Police say Gates yelled at the officers and initially refused to show his ID. Gates allegedly yelled “this is what happens to a black man in America” and “you don’t know who you’re messing with” before he was arrested, and police said he was uncooperative.

"Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof he was in own home," Obama said during a prime-time news conference that otherwise focused on the health care debate.

"What I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately," Obama said. "That's just a fact."

The nation's first black president held himself up as testament to what he called the "incredible progress" minorities have achieved.

Gates' arrest followed a report of a possible burglary. A neighbor apparently saw Gates force the front door and called in a police report. Police came, and demanded that Gates showed identification. Gates was arrested shortly afterward for disorderly conduct, a charge that was dropped Tuesday.

( read the arrest report )
  2. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This has become a pretty big story.

I have read different sources and each have small differences.

I can sympathize and understand the thought process on both sides.

As a citizen, no matter how upset you are, you must remain calm and cooperate with the police.

From Dr. Gates' point of view, I can see how he would be upset at the accusation that he was breaking into a property that is actually his residence.
  3. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh, I have no earthly idea why Barack Obama is even commenting on this.

Even though he is correct in his assertion that profiling has been a major problem, I wonder if he even has all the facts in this case.

Similar to responding to the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Barack Obama needs to realize he is President and this type of stuff is something the President should stay out of.
  4. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,567 Messages
    1,660 Likes Received
    Admittedly, I don't know the full details of the event.

On one hand, I'm angered that the police would expect a person to show ID in his own home, and then arrest him for failing to do so.

On the other hand, the police were responding to reports of a burglary. How were they supposed to know that the person was who he claimed to be if he refused to show his ID? What if he had been a burglar? The police would've been stupid for simply releasing him.

It President Obama was correct when he said there was "proof" that Gates was in his own home, the police most certainly did act stupidly.
  5. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I was just about to post this. I realize that Obama and this guy are pals, but did he really need to comment on it? It did sound like the police overstepped their bounds (gee, there's a shock) but it doesn't require intervention by the president.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,498 Messages
    3,333 Likes Received
    Lots of good posts in this thread, but I tend to agree with this as it relates to the incident.

Re: Obama commenting about it, I agree with Mike and DIAF, as well.
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    That's true, but the police only know the info they received, that a break in is in progress and they responded. They don't know who lives in a house when they approach it. I'd say it's the neighbor who called, who's probably the ***.

Simply stating who yo are to the police will go a long way toward alleviating this type of situation. It can't really be characterized as profiling, because he wasn't picked out of a hat, while driving or walking around, the police were responding to a call to that residence.

It's getting blown out of proportion.
  8. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    From my understanding, Dr. Gates eventually presented ID to the Police.

But yes, the Police have one of the most dangerous jobs in the country and you never know who you are dealing with.

As for the person that called the cops, I really can't be mad at that person either. I believe it was dark and I would be suspicious if I saw someone prying open the door to get into the house.

It is being blown out of proportion because who the guy is and now the most powerful man in the world has provided an opinion.
  9. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,080 Messages
    491 Likes Received

Obama called Gates a friend, and said he doesn't know all the facts of the case. Nonetheless, Obama said, anyone would have been angry if treated the way Gates claims police in Cambridge, Mass., treated him. Gates claims he was arrested in his own home after showing ID to police who responded to a report of a possible burglary.
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I wasn't aware of that aspect, that it was dark and the guy was prying on the door. And if he did present ID, before being arrested, that should have ended it, even if he were being a bit contentious from the outset.
  11. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is the version I am most familiar with and it was originally on MSNBC. I thought I read that it was dark, but I really don't know what time it was.

link
  12. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Regardless. Obama doesn't need to stick his big mouth into the situation just because his little friend had a run in with the local authorities.

The audacity of this president is embarrassing. He has the largest ego of any President I have ever witnessed.

Look at me!

Watch me!

Like that line from Coming to America.

"#### you......#### you....and #### you....who's next?"
  13. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree Dallas.

I think George Bush and Bill Clinton both had huge egos.
  14. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I never said that they didn't. What I am saying is that Obama far exceeds the both of them at this time already.

Not even 200 days in and it's like his head's going to explode from the air he pumps into it.
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,668 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    "In New York I didn't even call the police. I wanted to, but i couldn't. My crib was too nice. Not that it's too nice, but it's too nice for me. You know how the police are in New York. Soon as I open the door, they'd be like. Ha, he's still here! Open and shut case, Johnson. Apparently this black guy broke in and hung up pictures of his family everywhere. Never seen anything like it."

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/...happelle-HBO-Comedy-Half-Hour-Dave-Chappelle-

Made me think of this.
  16. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Sorry to go OT but I love that pic of Ware and his baby girl. He is a wonderful guy, you can tell.
  17. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    It was a terribly racially charged question from a reporter that had no business asking it in that forum...

Secondly, Obama should have never answered it as he did. When he said he didn't know the details his next words should have been "so I can't comment"...
  18. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,498 Messages
    3,333 Likes Received
    Until he gets his extension...and then he becomes overrated.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,991 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Profiling does happen, no doubt about it. When a serial killer is on the loose they tend to look at white males between the ages of 35 to 50 since the majority of serial killers tend to be this demographic.

I'm not going to lie I would be upset if I was Mr. Gates had the police suspected me the home owner as a robber but I also would have done as asked and showed my identification instead of allowing the situation to get out of hand. Then again maybe he did that intentionally knowing full well what would happen.
  20. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Head.....shoulders, knees n toes....knees n toes.

He will never be overrated in my book. Our defense starts and stops w/ Ware.

He is the man!