1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama: Cambridge police acted stupidly *Merged*

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,405 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    That is a bit extreme dont you think? I dont come on and say the sky is green, then when 10 other people say no it is blue, come back and say well it is blue but it has a green tint to it.
  2. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,846 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I think that's a bit silly. EVery single one of us has made a stupid statement at one time or another. And when someone makes a stupid statement, what's the best thing to do...?

A) Stand by the stupid statement and refuse to back down, or
    B) Retract the stupid statement and do the best to make amends

I see plenty of people in these forums select Option A and I am usually amused at how silly they make themselves look in defending a stupid statement instead of just admitting they were wrong and moving on.
  3. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,609 Messages
    1,191 Likes Received

It's not spot-on to you because you want to consider the analogy beyond the context I offered it. No analogy is flawless. One can always misinterpret an analogy if one doesn't listen to or consider the comparison made by the author/originator.

Second, the issue isn't whether he knew better. The issue is whether the police knew better and whether being the authority, they should have arrested a man because he didn't cooperate with them, even when they saw he was the owner of the house.

That's why my analogy fits.

P.S., my sons would know better, just as many other seven-year-olds would. Age isn't the issue. Acceptable behavior is. But that still wouldn't give an adult the right to hit a child, whether the child knew better or not. And let's take this analogy beyond a seven-year-old and make it a 15 year old or even an 17 year old. My argument/analogy would still apply.

And do I need to link to any number of stories which involve police abusing their authority and power?
    It works both ways.

Fair enough.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Nah, you say the sky is black, someone else says it's blue and you refuse to even consider that they may be viewing the same sky under different circumstances.
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    it's all about race with you, isn't it?
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
  7. xWraithx

xWraithx Benched

3,449 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    sounds like something i was writing a long time ago in a lit class far away.

"have you ever seen a rainbow through someone elses eyes"
  9. xWraithx

xWraithx Benched

3,449 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    have you ever seen the color of the wind?

[IMG]