1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama considers VAT tax *Merge*

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ThaBigP, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.prorev.com/2009/05/obama-considers-vat-tax.html

OK, now I'm confused. Just shortly ago I was called a "Liar Liar Pants On Fire" for suggesting such. In fact, mods (not to be named) began deleting my posts trying to defend myself against the "liar liar pants on fire" accusations" by a particular poster. Which is it?
  2. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  3. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  4. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "..administration of Barack Obama is floating a VAT trial balloon"

From CNBC

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30990206

Of course, this is something completely different...this is "floating a ... trial balloon" rather than "considering". Completely different. Which makes me a liar liar pants on fire.
  5. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "According to a Washington Post report, the Obama administration and leaders on Capitol Hill are looking seriously at a value-added tax to pay for health care reform and reduce federal budget deficits"

From Forbes. Seriously, I'm just trying to cover my bases. Apparently, crossing the wrong folks on this forum can be a bad deal. I just want to make sure others see what I'm seeing, and that my eyes are not failing me.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/04/value-added-tax-opinions-columnists-bartlett.html
  6. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    This is essentially the same thing you posted before. Nothing but a quote from Kent Conrad saying "It's got to be on the table" and noting that some VAT and national sales tax advocates are on some committees.

Cry. More.
  7. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,139 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    ok, if this is what he posted before then you're wrong. both times.

"According to a Washington Post report, the Obama administration and leaders on Capitol Hill are looking seriously at a value-added tax to pay for health care reform and reduce federal budget deficits"
    -----
    looking seriously isn't considering?
  8. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    ice, look at that washington post link. It's the same thing he posted before. All these columns and articles are doing is referencing the same WaPo article. Still nothing to suggest Obama is on the precipice of hitting us with VAT, as his first attempt at this thread wanted to do.
  9. iceberg

28,139 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    and theo - the headline is a direct pull this time.

i'm sorry you and thabigp don't get along, but that doesn't make what he posts incorrect, does it?

The Obama Administration Considers a National Sales Tax - headline.
    The Obama Administration Considers a National Sales Tax - the headline again to make sure you "get it".
  10. iceberg

28,139 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    dude, i'm not gonna split hairs and walk around pissed off someone doesn't say things the way i would.

another direct pull of a headline thabigp posted in another article

The Obama Administration Considers a National Sales Tax

get it yet? that's the headline - go argue with the newspaper and stop calling people liars when they're not lying.
  11. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, did I call him a liar? No I didn't. I am however calling him a giant baby for whining and demanding an apology from the mods. He was wrong then and he's wrong now. Just because some columnist titles his article OBAMA CONSIDERS VAT or whatever doesn't actually mean that it's happening.

Personally I'm waiting for some more conspiracy-tinged, links to survivalist websites about world food supplies or something.
  12. iceberg

28,139 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    he was called a liar.
    he's not lying.

and now you have to go out and say the article is wrong?

geez dude - get over yoruself. if the only news that's ever right is the news you like you live in one messed up world.

and if you're gonna say 'did i call him a liar' and play that game, show me where thabigp said anything about having to be a suvrivalist.

how come YOU can make **** up but when others quote articles, they're still wrong?
  13. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,736 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    Exactly. I don't think he actually reads what he posts.

This thread is hilarious, though. The fact that he somehow feels vindicated by what he's posted -- he doesn't even understand how it's the same thing he posted before.
  14. iceberg

28,139 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    The Obama Administration Considers a National Sales Tax

that's the headline this time, theo.

it must suck to not only be so wrong, but so oblivious to it.
  15. theogt

43,736 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    You didn't read the articles either, did you?

Regardless, even if there were some new article showing that the administration was considering VAT, it doesn't change the fact that the article in the previous thread did not. Thus, it was misleading.
  16. iceberg

28,139 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    no - my focus is only on the headline and how anal people can be when they don't like someone else.

so he paraphrased - you got bent and went WAH'ing to the mods and now you deny even that. but you were all insistant the title was misleading cause that's not what was happening.

well, someone else must have seen it the same way as thabigp cause another headline DID say just that.

so my point about you being overly anal is correct still.
    my point that the headline could also be interpreted by many as obama considering something was also valid and correct. another headline says exactly that now.

is that writer wrong? DIAF said so, so you tell me - is the headline wrong, or are we soley stuck on the only point that thabigp was wrong about his "misleading headline"

even though it was proven by a non-participant in this forums by their own thread saying what thabigp said - obama was considering it.

and he is.

have a nice day.
  17. theogt

43,736 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    Actually, these articles do not lend any credence to the notion that the Obama administration is considering VAT. The article titles are misleading (not surprising given that most of them are blog posts), but I'm sure that's as far as you read. Not that reading any further would have done you any good.

But like I said before, none of this changes that the previous thread title was misleading.
  18. iceberg

28,139 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    yes.

because if someone NOT ASSOCIATED with this conversation posted a headline that said more or less what thabigp said, then hey - maybe, just maybe, that's what happened.

how can someone OUT THERE post a headline saying the same thing thabigp said about the same news yet thabigp was misleading when he said it but the other guy wasn't?

cause you get overly anal on people you don't like. only reason i can see.
  19. iceberg

28,139 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    seems to be a common point of view - or at least shared by many, whether you agree or not. just because you don't agree doesn't make them wrong either.

so it wasn't misleading - cause if he's saying the SAME THING today that you said he's doing, how come this title hasn't changed?

cause it's not misleading.
    the news didn't change - you say so yourself
    but it was misleading the other day
    just not today
    cause someone else you don't know said so
    but he must be wrong now too.
  20. theogt

43,736 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

You can't be this dense.