1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama Delegate resigns over "racist" remark

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Other article on this... according to this one, the Obama campaign pressured her to step down.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/883120,CST-NWS-trustee08.article
  2. WiPatfan

WiPatfan New Member

96 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Ouch. I have to admit that I call my own white kids "monkeys" when they act like such. The comparison of primates to AAs, however, just cannot be said, and rightfully so. The historical context is too weighty.

If she had said "...like squirrels," she would have been fine.

Still, if this was not an election year, I think her sincere apology would be enough.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,808 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    How the heck is that a racist statement?

This ******** PC culture is getting out of hand.
  4. DallasFanSince86

DallasFanSince86 Pessimism Sucks

2,056 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  5. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The mother called the police??
    Thats a bit ridiculous. :rolleyes:
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,048 Messages
    3,981 Likes Received
    Folks really need to address the intent of remarks before censuring people over them.
  7. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hard to judge what's going on here.

The woman who made the remark was issued a $75 ticket for "disorderly conduct" for the incident.

I could be wrong, but I just don't think that the average police officer would ticket a grandmother for an inadvertent poor word choice.

I'd like to think that before a police officer would have ticketed this woman, this woman would have acted in an obviously socially inappropriate way (e.g., getting so upset that she couldn't think straight, perhaps angrily repeating the word "monkey" in order to provoke the kids' mother, etc.).

At this moment, it would appear that I have more faith in police officers than grandmothers.
    Frankly, this surprises me. :)
  8. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, similar comments from politicians on both sides of the aisle have gotten said pols in serious trouble... so while it's silly, at least it seems to be even-handedly silly...
  9. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    That was my first thought. My goodness. This stuff is getting out of hand. :bang2: