1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama Drinking on the Job

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by masomenos, Mar 4, 2009.

1. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    [IMG]

This is something that I don't care about and I imagine that most people on the board won't either. I'm just using this as a segue into the topic of how leaders being under the influence has shaped world history. There's an incredible history podcast titled 'Hardcore History' by Dan Carlin and he recently did a show on that topic.

Here's a link to the episode...

http://odeo.com/episodes/22488739-Show-20-BLITZ-History-Under-The-Influence

For those who don't have time to listen, these are some of the topics he covers.

-How JFKs amphetamine shots influenced his actions during the Bay of Pigs and the summit in Berlin.

-Churchill was known to drink from the time he woke up to the time he went to bed.

-Hitler also received amphetamine shots and, in videos, shows classic signs of amphetamine abuse. Goering, the head of the Luftwaffe, was addicted to morphine and give himself a dose before meetings, often falling asleep. This is noted as the cause of the Luftwaffe under-performing during the war.

-Stalin had very erratic behavior after Hitler invaded and virtually disappeared for two weeks, giving almost no orders, while he went on a drinking binge in order to cope.

-Alexander threw daily drinking parties in the Ancient World where it was not uncommon for dozens of people to die.

-Napoleon, after a stunning capture of France, was in pain the night before the Battle at Waterloo. To deal with the pain he took a large dose of opium the night before and the day of the battle and was very sluggish and not himself.

Anyway, when I saw the picture of Obama knocking back a cold one, I couldn't help but think of that show.
  2. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Nothing wrong with downing a cold one.
  3. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,786 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    a foreign born Heiniken?......a Natl born Miller?
  4. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,271 Messages
    2,466 Likes Received
    Shiner Bock.
  5. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    As a writer, you are required to drink harder stuff than beer, my friend.

Melville, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Capote, the bar has been set, so you need to start stocking yours. :)
  6. ScipioCowboy

15,271 Messages
    2,466 Likes Received
    Good writers drink hard stuff. Unpublished, middling writers don't have that luxury.

Having said that, I do like blond Rum, and my favorite alcoholic beverage is Rum and Coke.
  7. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Good rum is something that I have never had the opportunity to try. Even with cheap stuff though, rum and coke is a tasty combination.

Talent is usually discovered though, you don't have anything to worry about, you'll be a raging alcoholic in no time. ;)
  8. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Vodka and orange juice is my favorite.

I can't drink anything mixed with coke. ugh.
  9. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,786 Messages
    278 Likes Received
  10. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Awwww. That's just adorable.
  11. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,904 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Didn't they say Bush was a big time drinker?
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    BUsh is an alcoholic which he admitted a long time ago. When he got born again is when he sought help and quit drinking.
    By the way it was not the amphetamines Hitler was taking- it was the pill with lots of Strychnine that his doctor was giving him. that and a lot of other crazy crack pot garbage.
  13. ScipioCowboy

15,271 Messages
    2,466 Likes Received
    Now, my question is this: How many of our resident Lefties are more put off by the prospect of being "born again" than Hitler?:D
  14. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,484 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    That podcast is not updated nearly enough. Last episode was a month ago and the one listed in the article (first of two "blitzes") is from last year.

RSS feed: http://www.dancarlin.com/dchh.xml

This one (History According to Bob) is more active (RSS link as well): http://www.summahistorica.com/podcast/rss.xml
  15. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Other crazy crackpot garbage like the daily amphetamine shot he was given?
  16. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    Not even a coke float?;)
  17. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,742 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I like that we have a President that can drink a cold one without fear - a President that apparently doesn't exhibit the compulsive behaviors that occasionally undo some of us (err... me). :eek::
  18. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    It's not like he was ever convicted of a D.W.I. and then later covered it up....
  19. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Just be careful Obama...if you want one of these with your cold one...

[IMG]
  20. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    that was actually a smear campaign by his Nazi rivals, Goering actually used Parocodein(SP), a mild derivative, and he was able to be weaned off them w/o withdrawals in a short amount of time, when the Allies got a hold of him at the end of the war

JFYI

the Luftwaffe under performed at the end of the war because lack of good pilots, and gas was becoming short, plus American and British flyers dominated the airspace