1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama Explains National Anthem Stance

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by irvin88, May 27, 2008.

1. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obama Explains National Anthem Stance

Hot on the heels of his explanation for why he no longer wears a flag pin, presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama was forced to explain why he doesn't follow protocol when the National Anthem is played.

According to the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171, During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.

'As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides,' Obama said. 'There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.'

WHAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this could possibly be our next president. I, for once, am speechless . . .
  2. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,498 Messages
    2,376 Likes Received
    Are you making this up? I can't believe that he is this big of a moron. I actually had some semblance of respect for the guy...but if this is true...

You are kidding, right?

I have always said he seems more of UN chief than a US president--and that statement, if true, would verify it. But I doubt it true. I'll give the man credit and assume this is a hoax.
  4. DFWJC

23,498 Messages
    2,376 Likes Received
  5. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know it is false? If the website in your link soley for discrediting rumors?

That would be an incredibly foolish comment if Barack Obama indeed said it.
  6. DFWJC

23,498 Messages
    2,376 Likes Received
    Hey Mick.
    I guess Obama could have said it in his sleep at some point and I wouldn't know about it....if the tree fell in the woods kind of thingy. :rolleyes: But seriously, my expecrience with snopes has been that when it says a rumor is a rumor, it has held up over time to be just that.

I would be pretty sure (almost certain, but you never know) that there will be no supporting document or tape or film showing that Obama really said that. For now, I'll assume he did not.

Feel free to think otherwise. And if it does does turn out to be true, I'll just shake my head and stand corrected.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,064 Messages
    3,003 Likes Received
    I would hope that isn't true. I can't respect that at all.
  8. hank2k

hank2k Member

516 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    C'mon people, a 3 year old could tell this was a made up story.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/459/

Obama e-mail: It's not The Real Thing

Opponents of Barack Obama seem to have found a new reason to dislike him: he wants the national anthem to be an old Coca-Cola jingle.
    Well, not really, but that's the rumor that's going around. Although it seems ridiculous on its face, we heard from enough PolitFact readers who wondered if it was true that we decided to do a little digging. What we found was another example of satire being mistaken for the truth.
    A widely circulated chain e-mail attributes the following quote to Barack Obama:
    "As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides," Obama said. "There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all? It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it."
    (You can read the full text of the e-mail here.)
    But Obama never said it. It's satire written by syndicated columnist John Semmens, whose columns are posted on the Web site The Arizona Conservative. The above quote was part of a short item Semmens wrote in October 2007, imagining a rationale for the oft-emailed photo of Obama not having his hand over his heart during the national anthem . (We wrote about the anthem issue previously here, which was part of a chain email falsely claiming Obama refused to say the pledge of allegiance.)
    The song "I'd like to teach the world to sing," ought to be a tip-off that the email isn't for real, but credibility can get pretty elastic in the Internet age. The song actually started as a TV jingle for Coca-Cola commercials during the 1970s. They lyrics are:
    I'd like to buy the world a home and furnish it with love,
    Grow apple trees and honey bees, and snow white turtle doves.
    I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony,
    I'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company.
    It's the real thing, Coke is what the world wants today.
    The song first appeared in a Coke ad called "Hilltop" that aired in 1971, and again in a Christmas ad aired in 1978. The jingle was so popular that eventually it was re-written to omit the Coke references, and versions were recorded by the musical groups the Hillside Singers and the New Seekers.
    The copies of the email we've collected have a familiar trick: They claim to be forwarded from a retired military officer. But the unattributed quote is clearly taken from Semmens' column.
    This is not the first time a conservative commentator's make-believe quote has been attributed to Obama in emails as if he really said it. In February, we reviewed this one, in which Obama was supposed to have said he liked America but wanted to change it.
    We asked Semmens what he thought about his work taking on a new life on the Internet.
    "The quotes are a creative take on possible unexplained rationales for public actions," he wrote in an email to us. "They are not actual recountings of what Sen. Obama has publicly said. Whether they do or don't reveal an inner truth is a matter of opinion."
    A spokesman for the Obama campaign called the chain email "clearly false." We call it Pants on Fire!
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    when something seems that stupid - how about doing some research vs. being a part of the ... virus ... that propogates this crap?

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_obama_say_the_national_anthem_conveys.html

No. That's false. The quote was one conservative writer's idea of a joke, which has been picked up and repeated as though it were true in a chain e-mail.

This is a ridiculous example of how false stories are started, spread and, in many cases, believed.

It began with a column dated Oct. 27, 2007, on a Web site called the Arizona Conservative, which is written by John Semmens and clearly labeled as humor. His column, in fact, is called "Semi-News -- A Satirical Look at Recent News."

Nevertheless, his column on Obama has been copied and sent around in e-mails, masquerading as true stories. The reader who asked us about it said he received it from a conservative Republican coworker. The e-mail included a note calling Obama's candidacy "a joke."

In this case, the joke is the message falsely quoting Obama, and it's on whomever is gullible enough to believe it's true.

Footnote: For background on the "news" that Semmens was satirizing, see our Jan. 10 article, "Sliming Obama." Also, thanks to Snopes.com for tracking down the source of this latest e-mail falsehood.

-Brooks Jackson
  10. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cool.

I have never heard of snopes.com, that is why I was asking if that is what the purpose of their site was.
  11. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    it's just simply amazing to me that people will instantly judge anything at all then run around and believe it, holding junk like that against someone who never said it but they chose to believe it anyway.

people just don't stop to think.
  12. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I read on the internet that Osama Bin Laden adopted a shaved ape baby.
  13. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I heard he named it Obama.

j/k (for the pc crowd)
  14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Snopes has a pretty large section just for Obama rumors. Really makes you wonder why people would go through all the trouble of just making crap up. It also really makes you wonder if it'd be even half as effective as it is if his name were Tim Smith.

The fact he's had an atypical upbringing and his name is Barack Obama really hurts him in cases like this.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I'm no Obama fan but I would have say this looks pretty farfetched. As for things like Flag pins well I consider myself to be very much patriotic and love this country and I don't even own a flag pin. I would never judge a person’s love of their country based on a flag pin. My difference with Obama comes down to a difference in view points of what is good for America
  16. DFWJC

23,498 Messages
    2,376 Likes Received
    I read that it was his offspring....not sure if the mom was a hottie or not.
  17. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Personnally, I couldn't care less if Obama wears the flag pin. However, I would like an explanation as to why he will not participate properly in the national anthom. I don't think it is too much to expect a person who wishes to represent the country to respect the flag.
  18. DFWJC

23,498 Messages
    2,376 Likes Received
    None of this is true, so don't let it get to you.
  19. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Snopes is a very good BS detector. I use it to quickly debunk every chain letter I receive.

:bang2:
  20. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Woo. Another made-up rumor based on a single photo. I love me some Internets!