1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama interviewed by O’Reilly

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by zrinkill, Sep 4, 2008.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,046 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    He admitted that the Surge worked beyond his wildest dreams.

And that he would not follow Osama into the caves of Pakistan.

I liked his answer on Pakistan except that it was very vague.
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Anything else of note? I missed the interview.
  3. zrinkill

33,046 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    Looking for a non fake transcript ..... the other parts will be next week
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You mean he's not gonna invade a nuclear-armed Islamic country in the hunt for one man? I should hope not.
  5. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I have not seen the interview but it seems he choose a tone of humility for the interview, which is well advised.
  6. FloridaRob

FloridaRob Well-Known Member

1,454 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Looks like a three parter with questions about Ayers and Wright to follow next Monday or Tuesday. Obama handled himself well but Obama would not say that he was wrong for not supporting the surge. He just said it worked out better than anybody could imagine. He also said that Iran can not have a nuclear weapon but would not say he would use milatary intervention to keep it from happening. ONly taht he would consider it and did not want to tip his hand to the Iranians. He wants to engage in diplomacy first.,,,
  7. zrinkill

33,046 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    The troop surge in Iraq has been more successful than anyone could have imagined, Barack Obama conceded Thursday in his first-ever interview on FOX News’ “The O’Reilly Factor.”

As recently as July, the Democratic presidential candidate declined to rate the surge a success, but said it had helped reduce violence in the country. On Thursday, Obama acknowledged the 2007 increase in U.S. troops has benefited the Iraqi people.

“I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,” Obama said while refusing to retract his initial opposition to the surge. “I’ve already said it’s succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.”

However, he added, the country has not had enough “political reconciliation” and Iraqis still have not taken responsibility for their country.

“We have gone through five years of mismanagement of this war that I thought was disastrous, and the president wanted to double down and continue an open-ended policy (that did not put pressure on the Iraqi government),” he said.

Speaking on other national security matters, Obama said he would not take military action off the table in dealing with Iran, but diplomacy and sanctions can’t be overlooked.

The Islamic republic is a “major threat” and it would be “unacceptable” for the rogue nation to develop a nuclear weapon, he said.

“It is unacceptable for Iran to possess a nuclear weapon, it would be a game changer,” Obama said. “It’s sufficient to say I would not take military action off the table and that I will never hesitate to use our military force in order to protect the homeland and the United States’ interests.”

But Obama warned against the current U.S. administration lumping radical Islamic groups together.

“They have fueled a whole host of terrorist organizations,” Obama said of Iran, but “we have to have the ability to distinguish between groups. … They may not all be part and parcel of the same ideology.”

Obama sat down with O’Reilly in York, Pa., after holding a discussion on the economy with voters nearby. The Illinois senator has been campaigning in battleground states since accepting the Democratic presidential nomination last Thursday at his party’s convention in Denver.

John McCain was formally chosen as the Republican presidential nominee Wednesday in St. Paul.

Obama also told FOX News Thursday he “absolutely” believes the United States is fighting a War on Terror, with the enemy being, “Al Qaeda, the Taliban, a whole host of networks that are bent on attacking America, who have a distorted ideology, who have perverted the faith of Islam.”

He repeated his campaign’s foreign policy position that Afghanistan must become the “central front” in the War on Terror.

Obama was first asked to come on “The O’Reilly Factor” in early 2007. The interview will air in three more parts after Thursday, from Monday through Wednesday next week at 8 p.m. ET.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/04/obama-surge-succeeded-beyond-wildest-dreams/

8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Wrong Nobama. Most of us figured it would work. It was YOUR bad judgment that said it wouldn't work.
  9. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There were quite a few people who said the surge wouldn't work actually, including people in the military.
  10. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well, now we know who's judgment was right.
  11. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Funny... McCain and that idiot Bush "anticipated" it. :cool:
  12. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That's not what I was addressing in my response. You painted Obama as one of the few people who didn't think the surge would work when that's not the truth.
  13. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And that's not what I was saying either. I said It was HIS bad judgment that said it wouldn't work. then I said MOST thought it would work. That's a far cry from EVERYBODY said it would work.
  14. zrinkill

33,046 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    Obama looked good in that first part.

Seemed much more rattled than usual but still seemed strong.

He did not avert his eyes from O'Reilly ...... which means a lot to me.

We will see how he does in the next few segments.
  15. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I didn't say that you said "everybody" lol.

I'm just going to drop it though, otherwise we'll be "you saiding" for pages lol.
  16. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Cool. But to clarify, my comment was directed at his bad military judgment. That's all.
  17. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,817 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I'm for the Leader who would have kept us outta this farce of a war in the first place....
  18. zrinkill

33,046 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    I guarantee John McCain hates war more than you ...... he just has the courage to face it.
  19. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was a very good interview. He definitely held his own with Bill. Bill had to push a little bit and Obama hemmed and hawed some. One thing is sure, Obama does talk from his heart. It was the biggest problem I had with Bill Clinton, he seemed fake to me. Obama seems genuine in his believes, I may disagree but I respect him.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,681 Likes Received
    I think Afghanistan and Pakistan are going to be the major worries in that part of the world the next few years- but the biggest will be Putin, Russia.

Frankly I see little from Obama that indicates he understands that and is willing to make the hard choices- or even knows what choices to make.
    I sense a weakness in him when facing the brutal facts of the world- he has rose colored glasses and really believes all you have to do is talk long enough and you will prevail. Against the Taliban, the Wack Job, AL Queda and maybe Putin that will not be enough.