1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama looks at climate engineering (Global Warming)

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by sacase, Apr 8, 2009.

1. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,278 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    We have had record cold temps and these fools still insist on the Global Warming scare tactics. I cannot wait till Obama is out of office.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97ECHLG1&show_article=1

GA_googleFillSlot("news_story_left_sidebar");[IMG]WASHINGTON (AP) - The president's new science adviser said Wednesday that global warming is so dire, the Obama administration is discussing radical technologies to cool Earth's air. John Holdren told The Associated Press in his first interview since being confirmed last month that the idea of geoengineering the climate is being discussed. One such extreme option includes shooting pollution particles into the upper atmosphere to reflect the sun's rays. Holdren said such an experimental measure would only be used as a last resort.
    GA_googleFillSlot("news_story_instory");adsonar_placementId=1434709;adsonar_pid=651758;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=250;adsonar_zh=225;adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.com';

"It's got to be looked at," he said. "We don't have the luxury of taking any approach off the table."
    Holdren outlined several "tipping points" involving global warming that could be fast approaching. Once such milestones are reached, such as complete loss of summer sea ice in the Arctic, it increases chances of "really intolerable consequences," he said.
    Twice in a half-hour interview, Holdren compared global warming to being "in a car with bad brakes driving toward a cliff in the fog."
    At first, Holdren characterized the potential need to technologically tinker with the climate as just his personal view. However, he went on to say he has raised it in administration discussions.
    Holdren, a 65-year-old physicist, is far from alone in taking geoengineering more seriously. The National Academy of Science is making climate tinkering the subject of its first workshop in its new multidiscipline climate challenges program. The British parliament has also discussed the idea.
    The American Meteorological Society is crafting a policy statement on geoengineering that says "it is prudent to consider geoengineering's potential, to understand its limits and to avoid rash deployment."
    Last week, Princeton scientist Robert Socolow told the National Academy that geoengineering should be an available option in case climate worsens dramatically.
    But Holdren noted that shooting particles into the air—making an artificial volcano as one Nobel laureate has suggested—could have grave side effects and would not completely solve all the problems from soaring greenhouse gas emissions. So such actions could not be taken lightly, he said. Still, "we might get desperate enough to want to use it," he added. Another geoengineering option he mentioned was the use of so-called artificial trees to suck carbon dioxide—the chief human-caused greenhouse gas—out of the air and store it. At first that seemed prohibitively expensive, but a re-examination of the approach shows it might be less costly, he said.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    It's climate change, not "global warming", that way of thinking has been antiqutated for some time.

The argument now is whether it's man made or part of the natural cycle.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,028 Messages
    2,814 Likes Received
    Climate change must be a safer way instead of calling it Global Warming. This way no matter what the earths weather does it falls under climate change. :lmao:
  4. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    Well theres one problem Count, you can manufacture evidence to prove its man made. Now, all our gasses vs that of one volcano, no comparison, the volcano wins.

But when you ignore the facts or dont agree with them and keep steamrolling ahead, you can do anything you want and point it anyway you want. When do we as a nation say just stop. End it all we know we are not the divine killers of the planet that we want to be.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

And by the way, shouldn't this be God's department?

Oh wait...

Never mind.
  6. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Let me see if I understand this. They are going to tax Co2. The stuff we exhale and is required for survival on our planet and at the same time they want to spray real pollution into the upper atmosphere to reflect the sun? The same sun that is entering a cooler phase with lower than average sun spot activity?

How much is this going to cost?

Does anyone think this is a good idea?
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,892 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Some of you just stop breathing if you don't want to pay the tax. :p: ;)
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Of course, but that's not even the contention point. Almost universally the idea that the climate is changing is accepted. It's not a matter of being "safer".

Like I said, the talking point is why.
  9. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It's not changing any more or less than it has over the last several hundred years.

We haven't had an Ice age is pretty good spell which means we haven't had a big warming up either that melted the last one.

It's all cyclical. This is just a war cry by the left to gain more power over capitalism.
  10. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,278 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    How many times has the climate changed in the past?

Answer: Its constantly changing.

This is just a manufactured scare tactic to put money in certain people's pockets.
  11. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I have been saying that for years about the global warming nuts. They need to turn off their damn computers and quit all that stupid breathing.
  12. Doomsday101

77,028 Messages
    2,814 Likes Received
    Guess what breaking news the earth weather is constantly changing it has seen ice ages and it has seen warmer periods. Does man play a role sure we do to the extent that we turn the world upside down costing billions as if money is going to change the earth weather? Please tell me what is this money for? so that so called green energy business that many of the politicians are privately invested can make even more money at the expense of others? These so called experts can’t predict 3 days of weather but they are going to tell us what things will be like in the next 10 to 50 years? Sorry I was not born yesterday and have already lived through the great global cooling debate that raged in the 70’s
  13. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,716 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    That's right. Once we all realized that global "warming" was a load of bunk, they had to redefine the term to the all-encompassing "climate change" :D
    IMHO, considering there has never in the history of the planet been a period where the climate was not in a state of flux, I am leaning toward these changes being a part of the natural cycle :D
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Yeah, it's called science. Terms and hypothesis are constantly adjusted and reevaluated.

Whether it's man made or not is debateable, obviously. I just don't care to join the argument, but I think it's important to recognize both options are a possibility as is the possibility the truth lays somewhere in the middle.

Saying it's all a scam is just as ridiculous as declaring the earth is dying because I drive a Hummer.
  15. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received

It is, its been as simple as that. No one denies it anymore. The reports from the scientists that are now coming out and saying it was, is a telling part that it is all a scam.

Im sorry, man isnt big enuff to kill the planet. I said it before ill say it again, it doesnt even know you are here. If we were kicked off tomorrow it would still go on its path. We havent done nearly as much damage as 1 volcano, and nothing on the scale of a cadarra. Until we reach that point, we just wait and see.
  16. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,716 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    This debate has about as much to do with real science as a North Korean election has to do with real Democracy.
    I am not dismissing any possibility. I am just saying the Earth's climate is under a constant state of change. So, strictly scientifically speaking, there is a significant burden of proof on those claiming our current change is unlike anything the planet has experiences in the past couple hundred million years.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I agree.
  18. Doomsday101

77,028 Messages
    2,814 Likes Received
    Wait until they hit us with global movement as the contentiants continue to move along the techtonic plates. :lmao2:
  19. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I guess you did not realize NASA has admitted to faking the majority of their global warming "facts" and studies. I hope you were not taken in by the fake studies. Many people like Obama seem to have bought in to a bunch of completely made up crap.
  20. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :hammer:

It was their "Plan B." Did you know that global warming leads to ... (wait for it) ... global cooling? Why there's nothing it can't do! Sadly, "climate change" is reflexively blamed for things the liberals 1) don't like, or 2) can't explain. It's a new-age religion that seeks to punish and ostracize "disbelievers." No sale.