1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama: Powell will have a role in adminstration

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Oct 20, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    Link

WASHINGTON – Colin Powell will have a role as a top presidential adviser in an Obama administration, the Democratic White House hopeful said Monday.

"He will have a role as one of my advisers," Barack Obama said on NBC's "Today" in an interview aired Monday, a day after Powell, a four-star general and President Bush's former secretary of state, endorsed him.

"Whether he wants to take a formal role, whether that's a good fit for him, is something we'd have to discuss," Obama said.

Being a top presidential adviser, especially on foreign policy, would be familiar ground to Powell on a subject that's relatively new to the freshman Illinois senator. Obama has struggled to establish his foreign policy credentials against GOP candidate John McCain, a decorated military veteran, former prisoner of war and ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee.

In the NBC interview, Obama said Powell did not give him a heads-up before he crossed party lines and endorsed the Democratic presidential candidate on the network's "Meet the Press" a day earlier.

In that interview, Powell called Obama a "transformational figure" in the nation's history and expressed disappointment in some of McCain's campaign tactics. But, Powell said, he didn't plan to hit the campaign trail with Obama before the Nov. 4 election.

"I won't lie to you, I would love to have him at any stop," Obama said with a grin Monday. "Obviously, if he wants to show up he's got an open invitation."

Powell's endorsement came just hours after Obama's campaign disclosed that it raised $150 million in September — obliterating the old record of $66 million it had set only one month earlier.

He expressed disappointment in the negative tone of McCain's campaign, his choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as a running mate and their decision to focus in the closing weeks of the contest on Obama's ties to 1960s-era radical William Ayers, saying "it goes too far."

McCain, meanwhile, seemed dismissive of Powell's endorsement, saying it wasn't a surprise, that the two share mutual respect and are longtime friends.

The Republican from Arizona pointed out on Sunday that he had support from four other former secretaries of state, all veterans of Republican administrations: Henry Kissinger, James A. Baker III, Lawrence Eagleburger and Alexander Haig.

At a boisterous rally Sunday, Obama said McCain was "out of ideas and almost out of time."

He and his aides appear so confident of his prospects that apart from a brief stop in Madison, Wis., next Thursday, Obama currently has no plans during the next 10 days to return to Pennsylvania, Minnesota, New Hampshire or any other state that voted for John Kerry in 2004.

Instead, he intends to spend two days this week in Florida, where early voting begins on Monday, and travel to Virginia, Iowa, Ohio, Colorado, New Mexico and possibly Nevada and Indiana. Those states hold 97 electoral votes combined, and Bush won all in 2004.

Obama also may stop in West Virginia, where his campaign recently bought statewide television advertising in a late attempt to put the state's five electoral votes into serious contention.
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,943 Likes Received
    Ha! I just posted this in another thread...Trying to limit my thread starting.

I'll delete my post. :)
  3. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That's no shock.

I don't really buy the concept that this was decision that Powell just arrived at, after weeks of examination and soul-searching. I think he and Obama likely had this planned for quite a while, and held off on the announcement to be an "October surprise" of sorts.

Pretty effective, either way.
  4. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    No surprise at all.

Obama would be crazy not too.
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    i will say flat out if powell will support obama, i *do* put some credibility to that. powell has never done anything but honorable actions and his history speaks for itself. that will carry some weight.
  6. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Powell also does not like Constitutional judges either. This is all about race. Powell is the same guy who wants special treatment for college students based on the color their skin.

Guess he wants a job.

Barack didn't believe Powell when he was speaking at the UN about WMD's in Iraq.

Why would he accept the endorsement of a man he considers a liar?

This is all about what color of skin you happen to have.
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    And Joe Lieberman is supporting McCain only because he is white. :rolleyes:

Colin Powell would have to be small indeed to entrust the country he has served for decades to someone based solely on race.

The only thing that is all about race is this and other posts like it.
  8. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    An endorsement followed by a plum job offer. Funny how that works.
  9. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And constantly stating that a black man is only voting for another black man without any proof whatsoever is playing the race card as well.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I do think it's interesting the General Powell has been a life long conservative and, to my knowledge, has always backed conservatives but does not back a conservative here.

However, if Obama is the choice, it makes me feel much better that General Powell is supporting him. The question would be, in what capacity? If he has a significant role in the administration, that would go a very long way towards me feeling much better about this whole thing. I am still not in favor of it but it would definatly be much better. Sec of State or something like that, OK. A guy who is called in for nothing more then face time when something important is happening, not so much.
  11. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    this is one i'm just not going to get into. it does seem some people who were very PRO powell suddenly changed their tune of him because of this.

yes, it's odd. yes, it's cause to make you wonder and/or question why. all that is fair game. the assumptions are not.

powell has done more than enough time and time again to show he's got nothing but integrity and the countries best interests at heart with what he does. while i may not agree with him on this move, i back him on it 100% and am not gonna suddenly start "dogging" on him for it.

that's the very nature of the problem i see around me is people thinking less of others simply because they disagree.

we're letting our own insecurities bring us down. powell is a great man that happens to endorse obama. that's all. if he wasn't racist before this i refuse to think he could be now just because it would fit my own agenda.
  12. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    To be honest, one of the knocks on McCain is that he is not a true conservative.

I know the rebuttal is going to be that he is closer to being a conservative than Obama has but it is no secret that Powell had his differences with Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld and McCain is alot closer to those guys than Barack Obama, imo.
  13. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You noticed that too huh?
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I understand this but General Powell did not have to indorse anybody. That's the thing right?
  15. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And these guys didn't have to endorse McCain right?

16. JRid21

JRid21 Member

458 Messages
    0 Likes Received

There are few true conservatives in office today
  17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Perhaps that's because true conservatism is somewhat utopic although the experience of places with little to no government would indicate that the reality is actually dystopic in the extreme.
  18. iceberg

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    both sides can be considered "utopic". liberalism where we all just love each other and have no need for military isn't a bit nieve? yes, an extreme example, but valid just the same.

not sure when you got a high-brow thesarus for xmas, but you sure do use it a lot.
  19. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I need a dictionary :D .
  20. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: