1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Obama pulls ahead...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by vta, Feb 11, 2008.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Obama Takes Delegate Lead With Wins In 4 States; Clinton Manager Steps Down

(AP/CBS) Illinois senator Barack Obama finished a series of weekend primary and caucus contests undefeated as he bested Hillary Clinton in Maine today, according to CBS News estimates.

Obama’s victory in the Maine caucuses follow on the heels of his Saturday sweep in which he won Louisiana’s primary contest as well as caucuses in the states of Washington and Nebraska.

His winning margins ranged from substantial to crushing. In Maine, he led 59 percent to 40 percent with 99 percent of the precints reporting. In Louisiana, Obama defeated Clinton, 57 percent to 36 percent. He won in Nebraska by a 68 percent to 32 percent margin and in Washington 68 percent to 31 percent.

Obama's victory in Maine -- and the ease with which it came -- actually exceeded expectations, even though he swept the caucuses held on Super Tuesday. Clinton had the backing of the state's governor, John Baldacci, and its proximity to New Hamsphire and Massachusetts, both of which Clinton has already won this year, led some analysts to expect a close race.

Even Obama's own campaign said they didn't expect to win Maine, according to a document the campaign said was accidentally leaked earlier in the week.

In the delegate chase, Obama has pulled ahead of Clinton, even when the support of uncommitted super delegates is figured in. According to CBS News estimates, Obama holds a razor-thin lead with 1,134 delegates overall to 1,131 for Clinton.
    ------------------•Snip•------------------
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,040 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    who's got JT's suicide watch now???
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :muttley:
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
  5. iceberg

28,040 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    i'm sure he'll be here soon to say all is going to plan and with hillarys latest brilliance of changing campaign managers about to make a huge impact any day now...
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Didn't she hire a dirty-tricks operative for head her campaign? The female equivalent of:

[IMG]

Obama better watch his back. The gloves are coming off.
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I hope Obama has an Uncle Conrad and Aunt Ginny...
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Like I said last week ..... this would be even better than the Patriot upset.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,822 Messages
    2,923 Likes Received
    I imagine a scenario.

Obama wins the delegates to seemingly win the primary...only for the dems to turn around and let the florida and michigan ones count after all and give it to Hillary.

:banghead:
  10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    They would alienate their base of support by doing that and risk losing the general election. If they think Obama is their best chance to retake the White House, they won't hesitate to jettison whatever personal loyalties they have to the Clintons.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,214 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    Depends on how much dirt the Clintons have on the movers and shakers in the Democratic party.
  12. zrinkill

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Wow Brain ..... you sound just like Rush today.

;)
  13. iceberg

28,040 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    hey now - no namecalling!!!
  14. burmafrd

41,214 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    Of course that can happen. Ol smoke filled rooms make a comeback.
    Except instead of smoke lots of latte's.
  15. WiPatfan

WiPatfan New Member

96 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Assuming nobody gets the nomination before the Convention, all bets are off, but the one with the most delegates will have the upper hand, which brings the Democrats to another problem.

Obama will not serve as VP for the Clintons in all likelihood. He'd rather wait four years or eight years to run again. But if Obama barely wins the majority of delegates (not enough for the nomination,) would he be forced to accept Hillary as his Vice President?

If Hillary is anywhere near the presidential ticket, many independents will turn away from the democrats. Personally, that would make me a McCain supporter, but I think Obama would still have the edge in the GE.

Another thing: If Obama is slightly ahead and MI and FL are not resolved, Republicans will rejoice.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

59,822 Messages
    2,923 Likes Received
    Never listen to rush...So I beat him to the punch.:cool: I just wish I could punch him instead.:p:
  17. burmafrd

41,214 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    One must remember with Rush about 2/3 of what he says he does with tongue firmly in cheek. Sometimes its very hard to figure out when he is serious and when he is not.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

59,822 Messages
    2,923 Likes Received
    He does that in case he is wrong he can claim he is joking or if he is right he can claim he said it all along.

Rush is a number of things...dumb is not one of them.
  19. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's a similiar scenerio that is probably more likely:

Obama wins more pledged delegates than Clinton, but ends up losing the nomination to Clinton because she gets more super delegates.

That would alienate a bunch of Obama supporters, big time.
  20. zrinkill

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received